Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

This news about Craig Casey, it struck me reading a piece this morning about the Byrne brothers, Munster could potentially approach Harry in a similar fashion.
    It would be interesting to see how that would work out.

I wonder if the IRFU would need to look into putting some code of practice in place to prevent animosity between provinces, assuming that there isn't a code of practice covering this type of scenario already in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

awec wrote: »
    I reckon this is just leinster playing games, and trying to make a point.

Yeah I feel like this is a sort of warning shot at Munster. Realistically Casey would be in a worse position for getting game time in Leinster behind McGrath/JGP and then competing with HOS/O'Sullivan for that 3rd spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This isn’t a new development. The same thing happened for Paddy Butler.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Not quite sure how you can say "no substance" - Can't believe you have me defending the Indo here!! :-)

Casey was contacted by Mick Dawson with an offer , he was then phoned by Leo Cullen telling him how much they thought of him etc. etc.

Quite literally within an hour of that call, Van Graan was at Caseys door in person making him the offer of the contract so that he wouldn't sign for Leinster.

Which is basically exactly what the Article says..

Outside of a bit of journalist flourish - "Issued a hands-off warning" etc. , what's lacking substance?

Leinster tried to sign a Munster Academy player and Munster were forced to upgrade the players contract terms to fend of said offer from Leinster.

I’m sorry but what you have said and what the article said aren’t the same, not even close. Leinster sounded out a player that’s it. If Munster reacted with a contract then brilliant for the lad but the article has no substance beyond saying Leinster contacted him. As I’ve said this stuff must happen constantly, the Indo haven’t done anything here beyond hearing something and managing to write a whole article with little to nothing to back it up. Throw in a catchy headline and you have journalism in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

This stuff happens all the time. I've no idea why anyone would think it's anything other than good business from a provincial perspective. Sure the very same thing happened with Luke Fitz over a decade ago. The idea that its anyone wasting their time "playing games" or firing "warning shots" is a bit odd. I'm sure Leo has slightly more pressing issues on a day to day basis than crap like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

This news about Craig Casey, it struck me reading a piece this morning about the Byrne brothers, Munster could potentially approach Harry in a similar fashion.

I wonder if the IRFU would need to look into putting some code of practice in place to prevent animosity between provinces, assuming that there isn't a code of practice covering this type of scenario already in place.

It used to mentioned a lot that they can't outbid each other. So if something was offered by Leinster, (as opposed to just having a chat to see where he's at), Munster wouldn't be able to offer more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

It used to mentioned a lot that they can't outbid each other. So if something was offered by Leinster, (as opposed to just having a chat to see where he's at), Munster wouldn't be able to offer more.

I seriously doubt this is the case. It wouldn't be legal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I would guess in this case that Munster planned on keeping him on academy contract

Leinster come in and offer a full time contract to try and swing the move.

Once Munster agree to offer a full time contract then cannot offer more then Leinster offered.

The IRFU dont want provinces killing themselves out bidding each other for the same player. Once the player is agreed to the salary then all the provinces can offer the same and its the player choice on who to pick

Exactly what happened with Henshaw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

troyzer wrote: »

It all comes from the IRFUs pockets at the end of the day. I'm pretty sure they've something they can do to prevent it, if that is the case.

It all comes from the IRFUs pockets at the end of the day. I'm pretty sure they've something they can do to prevent it, if that is the case.

It doesn't matter. They're distinct corporate entities. They just happen to have the same parent company.

Two employers can't collude to artificially lower wages and conditions. Especially in a really small labour market.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Of course its legal, they are just branches of the same entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It doesn't matter. They're distinct corporate entities. They just happen to have the same parent company.

Two employers can't collude to artificially lower wages and conditions. Especially in a really small labour market.

Are they separate entities? My understanding is there are a Branch of the same entity. A Branch is not a separate legal entity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,644 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

molloyjh wrote: »
    This stuff happens all the time. I've no idea why anyone would think it's anything other than good business from a provincial perspective. Sure the very same thing happened with Luke Fitz over a decade ago. The idea that its anyone wasting their time "playing games" or firing "warning shots" is a bit odd. I'm sure Leo has slightly more pressing issues on a day to day basis than crap like that.

It's clearly a planned attack on Munster our arch nemesis.

Lower wages? This person's position has improved within their own squad as a result. If anything, it puts the player in a better spot to decide who they want to be with, knowing their conditions will be the same.

Lower wages? This person's position has improved within their own squad as a result. If anything, it puts the player in a better spot to decide who they want to be with, knowing their conditions will be the same.

I'm not talking about that. I'm addressing people who think this didn't happen because the provinces are not allowed to bid against each other.

I'm not talking about that. I'm addressing people who think this didn't happen because the provinces are not allowed to bid against each other.

It's the job of the player and agent to get the wages they think they deserve. If the IRFU says no then the player is entitled to leave to go to another country

If the IRFU says they are worth 30k then all of the provinces can offer 30k if they want. They cannot go back and offer 40k.

It has been mentioned a few times byt IRFU and clubs that they cannot have a bidding war for players. The IRFU doesn't want players moving from one province to another just to get a bump in wages. Otherwise it would hurt the overall game of rugby in Ireland

It is not relevant to this situation but they're not allowed. It has been repeatedly mentioned in the past.

Podge_irl wrote: »

It is not relevant to this situation but they're not allowed. It has been repeatedly mentioned in the past.

If that's the case, I'm amazed that it's legal.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,551 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Indo seems to forget the rolling contracts handed out to Mathewson....shocked I am

He will never see first team action while in Munster

Ulster could be a decent move for him, Connacht are loaded and Leinster ok with McGrath and JGP

Just on this, he came off the bench against Connacht just 10 days ago.

Why on earth wouldn't it be? Whether playing for Leinster or Munster you are ultimately an IRFU employee.

• Advertisement

Why would it not be legal? all of the provinces are part of IRFU. IRFU own the provinces.....

I work in a company with multiple sections and business lines. We don't go to other departments offering more money to rob better people as it would hurt the company. So we offer the same terms and ask if they want a change in career

Very similar to what happens in IRFU

What we can do is go to other companies and try to rob their people, similar to what IRFU done with Addison/Burns etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

If anyone with a ST gets a link to the pre-sale at 2pm today for the Pro 14 semi-final and would kindly be willing to send me a PM with the link I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

mystic86 wrote: »
    If anyone with a ST gets a link to the pre-sale at 2pm today for the Pro 14 semi-final and would kindly be willing to send me a PM with the link I would really appreciate it! Thanks!

Pm sent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mossy464

Pm sent

Would you mind sending me the link also please? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,847 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

mossy464 wrote: »
    Would you mind sending me the link also please? :)

Sure :)

I'd take a PM please too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 474 ✭✭Former Observer

Lads, I'm a Munster man through and through, but it's not fair on Casey to tie him to the sinking ship that is Munster rugby. Let the boy fly, a cherub taken under Zephyr's wing (Cullen) and hopefully we'll someday get to see our prodigal son perform for the national team.

Edit. Just realised this lad is only a few centimeters over 5ft. Lots of other pint sized heroes in Leinster so it's a perfect match.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Is there a good place to offload 2 x Euro Champ final tickets? Can't go unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Would love a PM and code if anyone has one for the semifinal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

degsie wrote: »
    Is there a good place to offload 2 x Euro Champ final tickets? Can't go unfortunately :(

Stick a post on Twitter with #OLSCFinalTics

So hands up who is going?

Me +6, just heading over for the day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement