Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Murray Kinsella says Sexton, Ringrose, VdF, Ryan and Rob Kearney are expected to take some part in the game against the Dragons.

Tom Daly injured his knee in the A game last weekend and is expected to be out for 4-6 weeks. At this stage Daly must be done with Leinster. Can't stay injury free.

http://www.the42.ie/leinster-mcgrath-injury-sexton-returns-4227873-Sep2018/

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

troyzer wrote: »
    Huh?

Ah, misread that. I thought it was Luke.

I was expecting another response of 'Tits' instead of 'ah'...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

That's a big shame for Daly. He was probably in the mix for a look in against the Dragons. Hard to see how he'll be retained at this point.

Glad to hear the others are coming back. They need a run out just to get the cobwebs off and start getting some fluidity into combinations; the European games are only a few matches away.

I'll be happy to see Ruddock move back across to blindside, hopefully. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him rest entirely given it would be 3 starts in a row and he's likely to be called upon heavily throughout this season.

I'd like to see something along the lines of:
    Dooley, Tracy, Porter, Ryan, Fardy, Ruddock, VDF, Deegan, McGrath, Sexton, Tomane, Reid, Ringrose, Byrne, DK.

Byrne, Cronin, Bent, Molony, Conan, HOS, Byrne, RK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Buer wrote: »
    That's a big shame for Daly. He was probably in the mix for a look in against the Dragons. Hard to see how he'll be retained at this point.

Glad to hear the others are coming back. They need a run out just to get the cobwebs off and start getting some fluidity into combinations; the European games are only a few matches away.

I'll be happy to see Ruddock move back across to blindside, hopefully. But I wouldn't be surprised to see him rest entirely given it would be 3 starts in a row and he's likely to be called upon heavily throughout this season.

Dooley, Tracy, Porter, Ryan, Fardy, Ruddock, VDF, Deegan, McGrath, Sexton, Tomane, Reid, Ringrose, Byrne, DK.

No Lowe of JGP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

I know his injury record isn't good, but think we'd let go of a 25 year old who scores his fair share of tries despite being injured? He'd be fairly cheap to keep on the books I'd imagine, and we're not blessed with an abundance of back three players considering all of the first choice picks are in the frame for Ireland.

I suppose next year, the Kolpac situation will be resolved with JGP being Irish qualified, meaning we can pick Lowe more often, and we could move Tomane out wide and look for another centre in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Serbian wrote: »
    I know his injury record isn't good, but think we'd let go of a 25 year old who scores his fair share of tries despite being injured? He'd be fairly cheap to keep on the books I'd imagine, and we're not blessed with an abundance of back three players considering all of the first choice picks are in the frame for Ireland.

I suppose next year, the Kolpac situation will be resolved with JGP being Irish qualified, meaning we can pick Lowe more often, and we could move Tomane out wide and look for another centre in the summer.

Kolpak has nothing to do with being Irish qualified. Being Irish qualified is a rugby issue, Kolpak is an EU employment issue.

Becoming Kolpak relates to naturalisation, which I believe is available after 5 years? (Open to correction on this).

scott1974 wrote: »
    No Lowe of JGP?

Didn't even notice. Hmmm, yeah. Probably Lowe then on the left wing.

Purely for entertainment value. He should go well against the Dragons.

I'm talking about Tom Daly, not Barry.

Kolpak has nothing to do with being Irish qualified. Being Irish qualified is a rugby issue, Kolpak is an EU employment issue.

Becoming Kolpak relates to naturalisation, which I believe is available after 5 years? (Open to correction on this).

He qualifies as non Kolpac if he lives in Ireland continuously for 36 months, which will be the case in September 2019. So, while being Irish qualified is not the actual qualifier, it's one and the same currently as both require 3 continuous years of residency with an Irish rugby team.
    Players that hold passports from the Contonou group are fine, as are players from non-EU European countries that are part of the Rugby Europe group and those who have lived concurrently in Europe for 36 months.

I'm talking about Tom Daly, not Barry.

Ah sorry, misunderstood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

He qualifies as non Kolpac if he lives in Ireland continuously for 36 months, which will be the case in September 2019. So, while being Irish qualified is not the actual qualifier, it's one and the same currently as both require 3 continuous years of residency with an Irish rugby team.

Cool, thanks for clarifying!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I'm hopeful for Barry Daly because they've classified his injury as "Knee" where as they've classified Connors as "ACL"

Hopefully that's not misreporting from Murray and actually what Leinster published.

Daly was wheeled off the sideline in a stretcher so I thought the worst. Hopefully for him this is a 6 weeker not a 6 monther

• Administrators Posts: 53,796 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That team will give the Dragons a serious dicking.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Are we memeing this name thing?

Carbery appears to confirm what many suspected, he has little intention of returning to Leinster at any point in the near future.
    "Definitely (this is home now), I don’t want to be chopping and changing and having to move and stuff. At this moment in time I’m very happy seeing myself here for a while. Yeah, I’m pretty happy with it."

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

I wouldn't read much into that. Saying anything less wouldn't have gone down well with The Faithful. It's not a John Cooney "I'll never return" or an Andrew Conway "I've always loved Munster" type statement. Of course, a few years can change everything, but he's definitely not trying to burn his bridges at least.

Carbery appears to confirm what many suspected, he has little intention of returning to Leinster at any point in the near future.

If he wants to stay and play for Munster for the forseeable that's a good option and it shouldn't surprise anyone.

However you can take nothing away from that statement bar Carbery having enough sense not to get on the wrong side of supporters by outing himself as using Munster for game time until Sexton retires.

The reality is, no matter what his intentions - I wouldn't expect to hear anything different from him.

If he wants to stay and play for Munster for the forseeable that's a good option and it shouldn't surprise anyone.

However you can take nothing away from that statement bar Carbery having enough sense not to get on the wrong side of supporters by outing himself as using Munster for game time until Sexton retires.

The reality is, no matter what his intentions - I wouldn't expect to hear anything different from him.

It's difficult to establish context fully given we only hear the responses and not the questions but the IT reported it as below so I would imagine the question in some way referenced returning to Leinster post Sexton.
    And the 22-year-old Irish international says he has no intention of returning to Leinster after Sexton has finished his playing days, and is instead keen to become a long term success in the red shirt for Johann van Graan’s side.

It's a one off comment and anything can change. He said that he felt Leinster was the best place for him last year and that changed pretty quickly. I do think he's in Munster long term though and will be renewing his contract there when they sit down to discuss the situation after the RWC.

It's difficult to establish context fully given we only hear the responses and not the questions but the IT reported it as below so I would imagine the question in some way referenced returning to Leinster post Sexton.

It's a one off comment and anything can change. He said that he felt Leinster was the best place for him last year and that changed pretty quickly. I do think he's in Munster long term though and will be renewing his contract there when they sit down to discuss the situation after the RWC.

I doubt after a few weeks he's suddenly developed a long term affinity for the southern province.

In all likelihood he's dropping soundbites to keep his coach, his teammates and his new supporters on side.

In two years time he will have a decision and I've no doubt he will look at how each of the provinces are performing in Europe, he'll look at their talent pipelines at 10 and 15 and he'll make a decision that best suits his career. That might involve moving to France for all we know.

I don't believe for a second that he has made any decisions beyond the end of his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Jack Kelly in the squad this weekend, don't know why just have a feeling he will be.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I think the chances of seeing him back in blue are incredibly small.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Similar to how Rassie was definitely staying at Munster?

I'm not sure why the media expect to hear any different. Joey is currently trying to endear himself to coaches and fans. He's not going to turn around in his Munster gear and express even a vague option that he's going to return to Leinster.

1) He has no intention of returning to Leinster

2) He is open to the idea of returning to Leinster

3) He is going to see out his contract and become a travelling acrobat afterwards

In all 3 of these scenarios his answer to the media is going to be the same. There is little point in reading into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I think the chances of seeing him back in blue are incredibly small.

Why?

Leinster didn't want him to leave. He didn't want to leave. I don't see why it couldn't happen down the road when Sexton is gone.

But yeah, whatever was said to the press means nothing. It's one of these cases where it's not "what did he say" but "what else could he say?"

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Why?

Leinster didn't want him to leave. He didn't want to leave. I don't see why it couldn't happen down the road when Sexton is gone.

But yeah, whatever was said to the press means nothing. It's one of these cases where it's not "what did he say" but "what else could he say?"

Because I think he will be settled as first choice in Munster in 2 years and Byrne, for better or worse, will likely be settled as first choice in Leinster (or someone else will be coming through). Ultimately it is unusual for players of his standing to move and there will be none of the same pressure or impetus behind it next time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Because I think he will be settled as first choice in Munster in 2 years and Byrne, for better or worse, will likely be settled as first choice in Leinster (or someone else will be coming through). Ultimately it is unusual for players of his standing to move and there will be none of the same pressure or impetus behind it next time round.

Hey guys new poster, I cant see Joey come back up the road.

1) He will experience game time like he hasnt before
    2) Leinster will no doubt reach out to someone when Johnny goes as Byrne doesnt do it
    for me (Maybe with time and development he will)
    3) IRFU will not leave Munster without and now he has went they wont strip them of a Fly half.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 titanfanfam

Leinster have to develop players for themselves and for the other provinces, this is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Commanchie wrote: »
    Hey guys new poster, I cant see Joey come back up the road.

1) He will experience game time like he hasnt before
    2) Leinster will no doubt reach out to someone when Johnny goes as Byrne doesnt do it
    for me (Maybe with time and development he will)
    3) IRFU will not leave Munster without and now he has went they wont strip them of a Fly half.

1) he got plenty of gametime at 10 the season before last. Just Byrne was picked ahead of him there last season. If he’s good enough, gametime will come.
    2) Byrne was good enough last season to keep Joey out of the jersey, there’s no reason to think with more time there, he won’t keep improving.
    3) the IRFU have proven with this that they don’t give a fiddlers what the provinces think. Munster do seem to get special consideration, like currently having 6 NIE players. The IRFU would not stand in Joeys way, if in two years time he wants to come back to Leinster. In an ideal world Munster will actually have produced a 10 who is good enough for Heineken Cup level by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Leinster have to develop players for themselves and for the other provinces, this is clear.
    No it isnt. Leinster biggest province with most players in every sector so obviously there will be players who will go elsewhere to play pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Commanchie

stephen_n wrote: »
    1) he got plenty of gametime at 10 the season before last. Just Byrne was picked ahead of him there last season. If he’s good enough, gametime will come.
    2) Byrne was good enough last season to keep Joey out of the jersey, there’s no reason to think with more time there, he won’t keep improving.
    3) the IRFU have proven with this that they don’t give a fiddlers what the provinces think. Munster do seem to get special consideration, like currently having 6 NIE players. The IRFU would not stand in Joeys way, if in two years time he wants to come back to Leinster. In an ideal world Munster will actually have produced a 10 who is good enough for Heineken Cup level by that stage.

Season before last yes. Not last year when Johnny was out quite a bit that was the time to be giving the game time.

Byrne kept him out cause Joey wasnt being considered as a 10 as much as he should of been as Tech IRFU were in Leos ear that was plain when the move was discussed.

IRFU will be the ones with the final say where a contract is played out. They are the employer at the end of the day. Joey isnt in Thomond of his own accord there was a push from the IRFU IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

If he carves out a really good career in Limerick and the team is good, I think he'll stay.
    Obviously, at this point JJ is not the answer and Keatley will not be around for too long as he's getting older, Bleyendaal may be history and Bill Johnson has not been a factor.
    Carberry is in a good position right now and he'll get a run out at 10, barring injury.
    If Ross Byrne can develop more and Frawley develops into a good competitive option, Leinster will be less attractive for J.C.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement