Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

jmn51927 wrote: »
    Pure Nonsense being spoken from a blinded bias disillusioned Leinster fan who is in a state of denial with his blue tinted glasses.

So you don't agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

At both loosehead and tighthead, Leinster are clearly ahead of Munster. Munsters options at 2 are definitely better at the core skills of that position, but then Cronin also brings something very different to the table too.

At lock Leinster have 3 proven internationals. Beirne looks really good, but as FF said there is still an element of wait and see with him as he hasn't had the same opportunity at the higher levels. Kleyn is excellent too, but I don't think he brings the same dynamism to the table that Fardy does. Both he and Ryan can do the dog work, but also bring footwork and offloading to the table too. For me the Leinster second row is at least far more proven than the Munster one, if not clearly stronger overall.

In the back row Leinster have 4 proven internationals on the flanks. Sure POM is really good and Stander brings a lot too (although for me he's a top quality blindside more-so than an 8). Cloete has shown a lot at openside too in terms of his jackling as well as his aggression in the loose, but again he isn't proven at higher levels just yet. On the other hand Leinster have a top quality blindside in Ruddock as well as ridiculous depth at blindside with SOB, VDF and Leavy. You can argue the merits of each individual player, but as a unit Leinsters is world class. And is proven as such. I'm not sure Munsters is in the same way. They've consistently lost the back row battle in recent fixtures between the 2 sides.

In many ways a lot of the Munster pack are really good at the core roles they play. But in Leinster we've got guys who can deliver there, but also add in other areas. Look at Porters ability to turn ball over on the deck or the interplay we've seen from our locks for example. For me that's really where the point of difference is. We might see Beirne bring a lot of that to Munster himself, but we'll have to wait and see there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Murray Kinsella has done an analysis of Ringrose's performance from last Saturday and how he's developing his game to include being an effective first receiver of the ball. Also highlighted is Henshaw stepping in at 10 as well. Lancaster and Cullen want all the centres to develop their creative game on top of their exemplary line running games.

http://www.the42.ie/garry-ringrose-analysis-first-receiver-defence-4242607-Sep2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

jmn51927 wrote: »
    OMITTED ALL THE ****E

Remember all the semis and finals that Munster have won in recent seasons thanks to a top class pack?

Me either

Remember all the semis and finals that Munster have won in recent seasons thanks to a top class pack?

Me either

Jaysus, the build up thread will write itself at this rate!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

molloyjh wrote: »
    Anyone else getting deja vu?
    He only has four posts to his name and two of them are duplicates. Pretty strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

The question for Beirne is whether he can make the step up from Pro14 star to European/international level. Fardy, Ryan and Toner are proven at the highest levels of the game, Beirne simply is not. Jury out.

Fardy and Beirne probably have similar number of games played in the second row at Super Rugby/European level and Internationally

Fardy and Beirne probably have similar number of games played in the second row at Super Rugby/European level and Internationally
    Probably? Scott Fardy has 39 caps for the Wallabies. He has 97 Super Rugby caps and 24 with Leinster. Tadhg Beirne has all of 63 senior rugby caps plus 2 international.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Probably? Scott Fardy has 39 caps for the Wallabies. He has 97 Super Rugby caps and 24 with Leinster. Tadhg Beirne has all of 63 senior rugby caps plus 2 international.

Yer man is going to come back and say that Fardy played most/all his international rugby at 6, not at second row.

Snore.

• Advertisement

How many in the second row?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Fardy barely played second row before coming here. All of his test caps are at 6.

I think anti_foreigner89 was being specific to playing in the second row.

Aye. But very few of Fardys caps prior to Leinster came at second row.

I'm not sure he started any of his Test matches at lock.

Now having said that. He's still the standout second row in Europe. Comfortably

Yer man is going to come back and say that Fardy played most/all his international rugby at 6, not at second row.

Snore.

This discussion is about the second row.

Snore.

How many in the second row?

Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Now having said that. He's still the standout second row in Europe. Comfortably

Nakarawa is the best second row in Europe.

James Ryan is the best second row in Europe by quite a margin

I get what Richie is saying with regards to Fardy and Beirne's experience playing in the row. Fardy's caps are from playing at 6 for Australia. He's relatively inexperienced in the second row. But in terms of big game experience there's no comparison. Fardy started the World Cup final ffs.

errlloyd wrote: »

One of the standout second rows in Europe so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

He's the most exciting second row to watch play but I would happily take a number of second rows ahead of him for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

This is OT, but Nakarawa and Retallick start in the Row on my all country World 15.

Furlong
    Marx
    Evans (of this I am unsure)
    Retallick
    Nakarawa
    SOB
    Gourdon
    Read

Murray
    Sexton

Raka
    Fofanna
    Crotty
    Daly
    Hogg

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Second row

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This is OT, but Nakarawa and Retallick start in the Row on my all time World 15.

Furlong
    Marx
    Retallick
    Nakarawa
    SOB
    Gourdon
    Read

Murray
    Sexton

Raka
    Fofanna
    Crotty
    Daly
    Hogg

Seems fairly recency-biased, no?
    I'd probably have Carter and McCaw in there myself.

Nakarawa is world class. His ball handling and offloading cements that status. But even if you took those extras away you're still left with a player that excels at the basics of second row play.

Yes!

Fardy has been excellent in the second row for Leinster but you can't point to his Super Rugby and International caps as if they mean he's a more proven operator at lock than Beirne for the simple reason that hardly any of these caps came at second row. Beirne could have more caps at lock at Super/Euro level than Fardy has.

Pretty simple stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This is OT, but Nakarawa and Retallick start in the Row on my all time World 15.

Furlong
    Marx
    Retallick
    Nakarawa
    SOB
    Gourdon
    Read

Murray
    Sexton

Raka
    Fofanna
    Crotty
    Daly
    Hogg

Surely this is current not all time?

Fardy has been excellent in the second row for Leinster but you can't point to his Super Rugby and International caps as if they mean he's a more proven operator at lock than Beirne for the simple reason that hardly any of these caps came at second row. Beirne could have more caps at lock at Super/Euro level than Fardy has.

Pretty simple stuff

He doesn't.

As you say, pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

Certainly wasn’t the standout second row any time he played Leinster

The players player of the year.

• Advertisement

He doesn't.

As you say, pretty simple.

Go on then. What are the numbers?

This discussion has been closed.