Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Actually completely forgot about Murphy. All the same, I wouldn't consider losing a back up 10, a leader but player very much on the wane and one of a multitude of back row options to be crippling. I don't think we'll repeat cause it would be incredibly difficult but don't consider Murphy nacewa and carberry to be the reason. It's not even that high a turnover.

Isa might have physically struggled at times last season but he still put in some big performances for us and his ability to play across the back line to a high standard was crucial.

And that's aside from the fact that most Leinster players when interviewed and asked who they find good to talk to and get advice they all say Isa. On the latest left wing pod cast Ross Byrne was still talking about him.

He's a big loss. As is Jordi and we may well see how much a loss Carbery is over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Jesus that's awful. Engagement parties are a right pain in the hole but having to go to two of them...

Is “engagement party” some sort of PC term these days for a scrum?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Are we in decline already? That didn't last long.

We may have lost some great players, but the great thing about the squad that won last year is how many young players were key to success. James Ryan, Dan Leavy, Luke McGrath, Garry Ringrose, Jordan Larmour, et al., are all another year older, wiser and likely to better themselves. If you could reduce players to their arithmetic value and add them up I think the total this season would be greater than last's. And that's not taking into account another year of Leocaster coaching and the addition of Doctor Phil.

The big impact will be the loss of Isa's ineffable presence, but we still have Johnny to drive standards and lift the squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

errlloyd wrote: »
    This is OT, but Nakarawa and Retallick start in the Row on my all country World 15.

Furlong
    Marx
    Evans (of this I am unsure)
    Retallick
    Nakarawa
    SOB
    Gourdon
    Read

Murray
    Sexton

Raka
    Fofanna
    Crotty
    Daly
    Hogg

Good to see Barry Daly getting the recognition he deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

As far as I can calculate Heaslip Nacewa Murphy Carberry are the main front line players missing from last years squad.

That's a hell of a gap to fill but I think in a year or two's time when the younger players are established and have a couple of years Heineken Cup experience we will be motoring.

Heaslip and Murphy have been potentially replaced by Deegan and Dorris in the backrow. They are very green but look good enough to make the step up in a couple of years time with regular gametime.

Tomane for Nacewa is a step down but a good bit of business for a multi-positional player despite him not plugging the hole that Nacewa has left - YET.

Carberry going is the biggest let down and potentially has not and will not be replaced. The best we can hope for is a return in a couple of years time otherwise we are looking light on European standard fly halves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Realistically you can't include Heaslip. He didn't play a minute last season (or half the season before that), and from the sounds of it he was keeping his distance from the squad as much as possible during his injury.

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Leinster won’t ever properly replace Heaslip or Nacewa.

Heaslip was one of those once a generation players, and Leinster seriously lucked out on Nacewa turning out as useful he did.

Deegan is good but not Heaslip good. Conan is good but not Heaslip good. Tomane is no Nacewa.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Heymans wrote: »
    Carberry going is the biggest let down and potentially has not and will not be replaced. The best we can hope for is a return in a couple of years time otherwise we are looking light on European standard fly halves.

Thing is though, Carbery played 10 and 15. We've Byrne (a better 10, for the moment at least) and Larmour (around the same, possibly better) as backups in those positions behind Sexton and Kearney. Sure, the step down to third choice is a bit more stark, but first two are fine.

Of those listed, Nacewas is obviously the biggest loss, particularly in terms of replacing him. Backrow we've a wealth of choice, even if they won't be at the level of Heaslip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

awec wrote: »
    Leinster won’t ever properly replace Heaslip or Nacewa.

Heaslip was one of those once a generation players, and Leinster seriously lucked out on Nacewa turning out as useful he did.

Deegan is good but not Heaslip good. Conan is good but not Heaslip good. Tomane is no Nacewa.

The chatter from Leinster and IRFU is Doris is a serious talent. Not just potential. He's ready made and will thrive. Not quite James Ryan standard, but definitely up there.

However, I hate comparing players. Best that they let them forge their own paths. It was like when poor Ringrose was being compared to BOD.

But I think Doris will be the long term option at 8

Thing is though, Carbery played 10 and 15. We've Byrne (a better 10, for the moment at least) and Larmour (around the same, possibly better) as backups in those positions behind Sexton and Kearney. Sure, the step down to third choice is a bit more stark, but first two are fine.

Of those listed, Nacewas is obviously the biggest loss, particularly in terms of replacing him. Backrow we've a wealth of choice, even if they won't be at the level of Heaslip.

I'm aware Carberry was played a lot at 15 but IMO he is primarily a 10 and an attacking 10 at that. I think he was played there because of ciircumstances - Leo wanted the best players on the pitch even if they were not in their primary positions. Whether or not Byrne is a better 10 will be seen over the coming season or two.

• Advertisement

The chatter from Leinster and IRFU is Doris is a serious talent. Not just potential. He's ready made and will thrive. Not quite James Ryan standard, but definitely up there.

However, I hate comparing players. Best that they let them forge their own paths. It was like when poor Ringrose was being compared to BOD.

But I think Doris will be the long term option at 8

I can see Doris being a serious player for us in the not too distant future. The competition between Conan Deegan and himself will be fascinating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Anyone seen any of the old Leinster gear on clearout sale?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,624 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You don't directly replace Heaslip, Sexton and Nacewa, but you have guys like James Ryan, JVDF, Leavy, Larmour who are better/potentially better than what came before them in their position.

Heymans wrote: »
    I can see Doris being a serious player for us in the not too distant future. The competition between Conan Deegan and himself will be fascinating.

Deegan is an incredible athlete while Conan is a very abrasive player. They are quite contrasting in many ways.

Doris seems to potentially be a combination of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Synode wrote: »
    Anyone seen any of the old Leinster gear on clearout sale?

I think most of it was cleared out at the end of last season. There’s not much of it available anywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Jaysus. The teams for the last few fixtures have been far stronger than I expected.

15. Jordan Larmour (24)
    14. Fergus McFadden (171)
    13. Garry Ringrose (51)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (26)
    11. James Lowe (14)
    10. Johnny Sexton (149) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (97)
    1. Cian Healy (192)
    2. James Tracy (68)
    3. Michael Bent (107)
    4. Devin Toner (219)
    5. James Ryan (16)
    6. Max Deegan (24)
    7. Josh van der Flier (61)
    8. Jack Conan (76)

16. Seán Cronin (155)
    17. Peter Dooley (50)
    18. Tadhg Furlong (86)
    19. Mick Kearney (37)
    20. Dan Leavy (54)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (54)
    22. Ross Byrne (51)
    23. Joe Tomane (3)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Strong team named for tomorrow. Similar to last week's side.

Curious that Ruddock is out of the 23 again and it's the same back row again as last week. I wonder is he carrying a niggle. I'm surprised to see him out completely back to back weeks. I'd expect him to captain a weakened side in Galway next week though.

This team should be capable of putting Edinburgh away with breathing room but I wouldn't take them lightly at all. RC has done a great job there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It’s probably that we are just in the strange position of having most of the squad available for selection. Ruddock probably only misses out so Leavy can be eased back in. It’s interesting to see we are persisting we Deegan at 6 though, when it’s not forced. Clearly trying to figure out getting game time for all three 8’s through the season.

• Administrators Posts: 53,797 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

30 points plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Embra team

15. Dougie Fife (110)

14. Jamie Farndale (1)

13. Chris Dean (66)

12. Juan Pablo Socino (1)

11. Duhan van der Merwe (20)

10. Jaco van der Walt (19)

9. Sean Kennedy (62)

1. Allan Dell (47)

2. Ross Ford (181)

3. Simon Berghan (51)

4. Fraser McKenzie (103) CAPTAIN

5. Ben Toolis (91)

6. Luke Hamilton (3)

7. Jamie Ritchie (51)

8. Magnus Bradbury (54)

Replacements: 16. Dave Cherry*; 17. Pierre Schoeman (3); 18. Murray McCallum (40); 19. Callum Hunter-Hill (1); 20. Luke Crosbie (13); 21. Nathan Fowles (59); 22. Simon Hickey (2); 23. James Johnstone (21)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leinster are sending the kids to Connacht then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I think there’s a strategy of naming a strong team for home games here. I’m surprised at the strength of what we’re putting out but the squad is in rude good health at the moment.

Who is actually injured? SOB. Anyone else of significance?

Leinster are sending the kids to Connacht then.

That worked out well the last time....ohhh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

awec wrote: »
    30 points plus.

This Edinburgh side are a decent one. I wouldn't expect us to win by that much tbh. Conditions don't look to be all that good for the game either. I reckon we'll squeeze the TBP in a 12-15 point win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

I wonder is the plan, strong team for the home games, espoirs for the away matches. We are turning into the Top14

molloyjh wrote: »
    This Edinburgh side are a decent one. I wouldn't expect us to win by that much tbh. Conditions don't look to be all that good for the game either. I reckon we'll squeeze the TBP in a 12-15 point win.

They are pretty much full strength as far as I can gather..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I wonder is the plan, strong team for the home games, espoirs for the away matches. We are turning into the Top14

We had 13 or 14 of our first choice 23 away to Scarlets while also being in a situation where we didn't have a fit openside. The Connacht game is the obvious break for players before Europe. I wouldn't read into it too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Wouldn't go that far. We could name an entirely different starting XV as follows:

Kearney
    Kearney
    O'Loughlin
    Tomane
    Adam Byrne
    Ross Byrne
    JGP
    Dooley
    Cronin
    Furlong
    Fardy
    Molony
    Ruddock
    Leavy
    Deegan

It's still a very strong team, and if you roll even one or two over from this weekend it's even better.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I thought Larmour played well at fullback against the Scarlets. There was also a few moments of great link up play between himself and Lowe. Hope to see more of that. The pack for tomorrow's game is a strong one so will give them good ball to use.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    I thought Larmour played well at fullback against the Scarlets. There was also a few moments of great link up play between himself and Lowe. Hope to see more of that. The pack for tomorrow's game is a strong one so will give them good ball to use.

Mixed good with bad I thought. There were times where he tried to do too much and either died with it or got turned over.

But I think 15 is his long term position.

The little link plays him and Lowe have shown they can pull out are very promising and I can't wait to see more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement