Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Clegg wrote: »
    I thought Larmour played well at fullback against the Scarlets. There was also a few moments of great link up play between himself and Lowe. Hope to see more of that. The pack for tomorrow's game is a strong one so will give them good ball to use.

Agreed LArmour looking very strong from fullback ATM. Looking forward to seeing how Deegan and Conan link up off the blind side of scrums.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

durkadurka wrote: »
    I think there’s a strategy of naming a strong team for home games here. I’m surprised at the strength of what we’re putting out but the squad is in rude good health at the moment.

Given that Munster are doing similar, I'm not sure the strategy is coming from within Leinster Rugby. I suspect they were given a window of games where they were expected/allowed/instructed to play the front liners twice each within reason before naming full strength sides for the Leinster vs Munster match and European games.

Buer wrote: »
    Given that Munster are doing similar, I'm not sure the strategy is coming from within Leinster Rugby. I suspect they were given a window of games where they were expected/allowed/instructed to play the front liners twice each within reason before naming full strength sides for the Leinster vs Munster match and European games.

Do you think it's a bit of coordinated tournament conditioning?

Do you think it's a bit of coordinated tournament conditioning?

Normal player welfare programme for the most part but I imagine the national set up have identified a largely tailored approach to a good portion of players and their involvement for the 12 months leading into the RWC i.e. they play in this period, rest/train for this period etc.

I suspected a few weeks ago that the Connacht game was being lined up as a second string/weakened side from the way things were shaping up. I never expected us to send the test starters to Galway with Munster, Wasps and Toulouse around the corner and I'm sure the Irish set up were involved in that too.

I think we'll see a reduced involvement from some test players later in the season, more than usual. Henshaw has now started 3 on the trot in the Pro14. He started 3 in the entirety of last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Swap Connacht for Ulster.

Would Leinster adopt the same selection policy if they were travelling to the other province in their conference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Swap Connacht for Ulster.

Would Leinster adopt the same selection policy if they were travelling to the other province in their conference?

Sure that's probably an easier game!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Leinster A to play Scarlets A in Round 3 of the Celtic Cup at Parc y Scarlets on Saturday (KO 2.30pm).

15. Hugo Keenan
    14. Adam Byrne
    13. Conor O’Brien
    12. Jimmy O’Brien
    11. Jack Kelly CAPTAIN
    10. Noel Reid
    9. Hugh O’Sullivan
    1. Michael Milne
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Vakh Abdaladze
    4. Oisín Dowling
    5. Jack Dunne
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Ronan Foley
    8. Caelan Doris

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Giuseppe Coyne
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Ronan Watters
    21. Patrick Patterson
    22. David Hawkshaw
    23. Michael Silvester

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

D14Rugby wrote: »
    Leinster A to play Scarlets A
    15. Hugo Keenan
    14. Adam Byrne
    13. Conor O’Brien
    12. Jimmy O’Brien
    11. Jack Kelly CAPTAIN
    10. Noel Reid
    9. Hugh O’Sullivan
    1. Michael Milne
    2. Ronan Kelleher
    3. Vakh Abdaladze
    4. Oisín Dowling
    5. Jack Dunne
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Ronan Foley
    8. Caelan Doris

16. Dan Sheehan
    17. Giuseppe Coyne
    18. Jack Aungier
    19. Ryan Baird
    20. Ronan Watters
    21. Patrick Patterson
    22. David Hawkshaw
    23. Michael Silvester

Good game for Reid to get a run out at 10. Hopefully it goes well for him

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Adam Byrne's had a dodgy 12 months form wise, but just 2 seasons ago he was our most threatening back. Shame to see him slip so far down the pecking order.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

Michael Milne at loose-head is interesting. Long term planning maybe? Or just necessity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Stainalert

DonVito wrote: »
    Michael Milne at loose-head is interesting. Long term planning maybe? Or just necessity.
    He's normally a tight head right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iminterestd0

Stainalert wrote: »
    He's normally a tight head right?

played both in school but mostly tighthead, played TH for underage teams leinster & ireland.

Size wise at professional level, he may be more suited to LH.

Been playing LH exclusively this season, but may switch over for Ireland u20.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Molony behind Kearney is interesting. Deegan at 6? It will be a tough match. Edinburgh will be tough and well up for it. Really surprised to see Henshaw again. Thought he'd be rested until Eorope.
    Any word on Jack Mc Grath?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iminterestd0

Dubinusa wrote: »
    Molony behind Kearney is interesting. Deegan at 6? It will be a tough match. Edinburgh will be tough and well up for it. Really surprised to see Henshaw again. Thought he'd be rested until Eorope.
    Any word on Jack Mc Grath?

Or squad rotation..

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Or squad rotation..
    I would say it is a case of rotation in respect of Moloney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

Jaysus. The teams for the last few fixtures have been far stronger than I expected.

15. Jordan Larmour (24)
    14. Fergus McFadden (171)
    13. Garry Ringrose (51)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (26)
    11. James Lowe (14)

10. Johnny Sexton (149) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (97)
    1. Cian Healy (192)
    2. James Tracy (68)
    3. Michael Bent (107)
    4. Devin Toner (219)
    5. James Ryan (16)
    6. Max Deegan (24)
    7. Josh van der Flier (61)
    8. Jack Conan (76)

16. Seán Cronin (155)
    17. Peter Dooley (50)
    18. Tadhg Furlong (86)
    19. Mick Kearney (37)
    20. Dan Leavy (54)
    21. Jamison Gibson-Park (54)
    22. Ross Byrne (51)
    23. Joe Tomane (3)

-

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

-

Luke McGrath was born in Canada.

You're slipping Rich

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

They're players who didn't come through the Leinster system not players born abroad. Hence Henshaw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Maybe the plan is to rack up the points early in the season because once it gets towards the end of the season the IRFU will pull rank and everyone will be wrapped in cotton wool.....

So build up a huge lead now, then let the B squad to take over and consolidate the lead, also give the chance for some players like Dave Kearney to play themselves in the World Cup squad..... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Carbery is running the show for Munster.

I'm sick.

• Advertisement

I'm sick.

Not at all. He has done very little outside of the break for the second try. Aside from that, he has been very mediocre. Kicked poorly from hand, made nothing for his back line and very bad missed tackle for their second try.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Carbery looked like a full back tonight. That's where all his flashes of brilliance came from. He was poor at 10 in attack and defence.

Leocaster knows. Carbery is a phenomenal full-back being parachuted into 10

I think he could be an excellent 10 but he's certainly more comfortable at 15 at the moment. He withdrew into himself the longer the game went on and I would say his touches were in the single digits in the second half despite Munster having more possession in the game overall.

I think there's far too much pressure on him and the media have blown him up to be something he isn't and never was. The level of scrutiny has cranked up the hype and expectancy to ridiculous levels. He'd need to be playing to Sexton's level to match that expectation at the moment. Once Cardiff came out of the blocks, it was always going to be a game where Carbery was going to be tested and I think he could have done with another couple of handy outings to allow him settle more. He isn't ready to step up and try and take a game by the scruff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I'm sick.

He was AWOL off a set piece for Blues 2nd try. Munsters bigger issue is at 9 once Murray is absent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭D14Rugby

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    He was AWOL off a set piece for Blues 2nd try. Munsters bigger issue is at 9 once Murray is absent

Their refusal to play Hart is odd, far better player than Williams imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I do worry a little that while Byrne is currently learning from Sexton and Contepomi, Carbery will be learning from....

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I think he could be an excellent 10 but he's certainly more comfortable at 15 at the moment. He withdrew into himself the longer the game went on and I would say his touches were in the single digits in the second half despite Munster having more possession in the game overall.

I think there's far too much pressure on him and the media have blown him up to be something he isn't and never was. The level of scrutiny has cranked up the hype and expectancy to ridiculous levels. He'd need to be playing to Sexton's level to match that expectation at the moment. Once Cardiff came out of the blocks, it was always going to be a game where Carbery was going to be tested and I think he could have done with another couple of handy outings to allow him settle more. He isn't ready to step up and try and take a game by the scruff.

I agree with all of that. He's being hailed as this potentially world class 10 in the mould of Beaudan Barrett but fact of the matter is, at this very moment, his game screams full back.

If Schmidt wanted him to get more game time at 10, the move to Munster should have happened a year ago and not in a panic mode the year before the World Cup. It's far too short a space of time and a lot of undue pressure on his shoulders and we saw a lot of his weaknesses tonight coupled with his strengths at full back. That's what I meant about him being parachuted into 10.

I suppose he will get an entire year under his belt at 10, come back next season and still only be 24.

Not sure what Johnny's plans are for after the WC, but we would soon enter into an era of Byrne/Carbery battling for the 10 shirt.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I suppose he will get an entire year under his belt at 10, come back next season and still only be 24.

Not sure what Johnny's plans are for after the WC, but we would soon enter into an era of Byrne/Carbery battling for the 10 shirt.

It's barely mentioned but there are other players like TB (if he really is back) and Billy Burns that could well take that jersey.

Carbery and Byrne are the obvious frontrunners but there are clear gaps in their game still.

• Advertisement

It's barely mentioned but there are other players like TB (if he really is back) and Billy Burns that could well take that jersey.

Carbery and Byrne are the obvious frontrunners but there are clear gaps in their game still.

For Leisnter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement