Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Its been interesting the past few weeks reading the criticism (from certain quarters) of Tomane's defense. Its not something that he has been criticised for in the past as far as I'm aware. I believe in Super Rugby, the Top 14 and at test level he was always considered a solid defender. I think any problems he is having this season (if there is actually an issue) must be down to learning a new system and adapting to his team mates.

Well most know that but one or two wanted a stick to beat him with and that’s the stick that was nearest to hand

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

salmocab wrote: »
    Its been interesting the past few weeks reading the criticism (from certain quarters) of Tomane's defense. Its not something that he has been criticised for in the past as far as I'm aware. I believe in Super Rugby, the Top 14 and at test level he was always considered a solid defender. I think any problems he is having this season (if there is actually an issue) must be down to learning a new system and adapting to his team mates.

Well most know that but one or two wanted a stick to beat him with and that’s the stick that was nearest to hand

I don't think that's entirely fair. He made some terrible defensive errors in his first few games.

I do think he'll get better though.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There’s always the chance people will struggle when they move up a division or move up a hemisphere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭typhoony

So Kellegher not in the 'a' team or bench, does this mean he gets his first cap for the connacht game

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

troyzer wrote: »
    I don't think that's entirely fair. He made some terrible defensive errors in his first few games.

I do think he'll get better though.

Having looked at first game several times I think it’s an over exaggeration to say Tomane was at fault defensively. The whole back line tripped over itself that night trying to defend in dribs and drabs ROL Kearney and McFadden were just as badly to blame as Tomane. I don’t get I feel every year we have a new signing and they are vilified I don’t get why but it’s certainly something that happens every year. I don’t think he was that bad defensively that night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Heymans wrote: »
    Having looked at first game several times I think it’s an over exaggeration to say Tomane was at fault defensively. The whole back line tripped over itself that night trying to defend in dribs and drabs ROL Kearney and McFadden were just as badly to blame as Tomane. I don’t get I feel every year we have a new signing and they are vilified I don’t get why but it’s certainly something that happens every year. I don’t think he was that bad defensively that night.

Isa was s**t when he first came as well according to some fans :P he turned out decent enough

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

He’s a winger imo. If you move him to centre no surprises that his defence might not be so flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I do think the move from T14 to P14 has had an impact too. He’s having to slim down a bit, get his fitness levels up and get used to playing a different style as well as at a faster pace. Add to that a new defensive system for him with players he’s never played with plus the work Leinster have been doing on their defence, which seemed to cause a few players problems early on in the season, and you’ve a load of reasons why Tomane will have struggled. He’s had a few weeks to work on it now though. We should see improvements this weekend, even if there are still issues to iron out.

I really want to see the guy go well. Not just for Leinster, but because he seems to be a genuine guy who buys into the places he goes to. That interview he gave after we thrashed Montpellier 2 (?) years ago impressed me. A foreign guy caring that much about his teams performance says a lot about him IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

Tom Daly isn't named for the A team. Is he injured or could this mean that he might be getting a run out against connacht?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Tom Daly isn't named for the A team. Is he injured or could this mean that he might be getting a run out against connacht?

He's still injured.

• Advertisement

He was injured in the Celtic Cup game against Ulster. Will be out for another month or so I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭armchaircoach

That guy has no luck

Anyone think Ringrose could step in to the 10 position if we are short this year? I know Reid has done a job there and can kick but the same could go for Ringrose. I watched the Edinburgh game again lasst night and there were some nice territorial kicks put in by Ringrose that kept us on the front foot. I think he could also attack the gainline with his experience as a 13.

how short?

Could see him playing 10 in an emergency if Sexton and Byrne go off injured and Reid isn't on bench, other than that no.

Yeah probably that short. I think he's got a good rugby brain could help him manage games. Positional sense sometimes lets him down.

doesn't have the body or more specifically the knees for pro rugby.

That's a ridiculous statement to be honest.

He's been unlucky, he looked extremely fit and conditioned at the start of this season and I think a run of games might change some opinions about the guy.

How? He has had serious injuries in pretty much every season since he was 20.

Maybe if he could stay healthy, he could prove his talent, but he can't.

Eventually it goes from being unlucky to something else.

It doesn't always go from being unlucky to something else. It's a physical sport and the assertion I thought was ridiculous was some notion that he 'doesn't have the knees' for rugby. What does that even mean?

He's 25 and has the proportions of a front rower. If he gets a run of games I think he could be a very useful options for us. If he doesn't get meaningful gametime this season then his career at Leinster may be in jeopardy.

I don't believe for a second there is anything physically defective with him other than his job is to run full speed into other very large blokes.

Edit: Op deleted post.

It doesn't always go from being unlucky to something else. It's a physical sport and the assertion I thought was ridiculous was some notion that he 'doesn't have the knees' for rugby. What does that even mean?

He's 25 and has the proportions of a front rower. If he gets a run of games I think he could be a very useful options for us. If he doesn't get meaningful gametime this season then his career at Leinster may be in jeopardy.

I don't believe for a second there is anything physically defective with him other than his job is to run full speed into other very large blokes.

Edit: Op deleted post.

Put the shoe on the other foot - what if I said Max Deegan doesn't have the aggression to be a professional loose forward - I'm sure he'd come up with some excuse or reason I was wrong. He's arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

"B" team v Munster so..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iminterestd0

15.Rob Kearney (198)
    14. Jordan Larmour (25)
    13. Garry Ringrose (52)
    12. Joe Tomane (4)
    11. James Lowe (15)
    10. Johnny Sexton (150) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (98)
    1. Cian Healy (193)
    2. Seán Cronin (156)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (87)
    4. Devin Toner (220)
    5. Scott Fardy (24)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (144)
    7. Josh van der Flier (62)
    8. Jack Conan (77)

16. James Tracy (69)
    17. Ed Byrne (25)
    18. Andrew Porter (33)
    19. Ross Molony (66)
    20. Seán O’Brien (116)
    21. Nick McCarthy (28)
    22. Ross Byrne (52)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (44)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,625 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Woof

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

LOL :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Putting the seconds out to play Munster next week.

The braying from down south will be something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

15.Rob Kearney (198)
    14. Jordan Larmour (25)
    13. Garry Ringrose (52)
    12. Joe Tomane (4)
    11. James Lowe (15)
    10. Johnny Sexton (150) CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath (98)
    1. Cian Healy (193)
    2. SeCronin (156)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (87)
    4. Devin Toner (220)
    5. Scott Fardy (24)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (144)
    7. Josh van der Flier (62)
    8. Jack Conan (77)

16. James Tracy (69)
    17. Ed Byrne (25)
    18. Andrew Porter (33)
    19. Ross Molony (66)
    20. SeO’Brien (116)
    21. Nick McCarthy (28)
    22. Ross Byrne (52)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (44)

Where's Buer? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clegg wrote: »
    Putting the seconds out to play Munster next week.

The braying down south will be so satisfying.

The seconds are still going to be pretty damn good.

I would guess we could see Fardy, Ryan, SOB, Leavy, Ruddock and Henshaw all start.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Where's Buer? :pac:

Going from six o'clock to midnight.

Disrespecting Munster I see. I like it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

molloyjh wrote: »

I also like it.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

So why are we flogging Sexton? If he was playing for Racing this week Gerry Thornley would be up in arms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

molloyjh wrote: »

Munster have gone full strength against Ulster so they'll have to rest a number of guys next week too.

Our likely team next week (assuming Ryan and Leavy are back) should be good enough to take care of a weakened Munster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

With SoB back we're one step closer to seeing a Leavy, VdF, SoB backrow.

Please BoD make it happen.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement