Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

Clegg wrote: »
    With SoB back we're one step closer to seeing a Leavy, VdF, SoB backrow.

Please BoD make it happen.

It would be a brutal back row to play against, but I find it difficult to say it's our best back row with Ruddock not in the equation. The guy just gives everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It would be a brutal back row to play against, but I find it difficult to say it's our best back row with Ruddock not in the equation. The guy just gives everything.

Ruddock and Fardy at lock. Big Dev will play in the centre... Obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ruddock definitely starts at blindside in our strongest line up. But I just really want to see a backrow comprised solely of opensides.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Ruddock definitely starts at blindside in our strongest line up. But I just really want to see a backrow comprised solely of opensides.
    Cronin and tomane midfield. 0% kicking from sexton (because we cant win a lineout anyway). 80%+ possession. If you ever wanted to injure every player in the opposition team.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Munster have gone full strength against Ulster so they'll have to rest a number of guys next week too.

Our likely team next week (assuming Ryan and Leavy are back) should be good enough to take care of a weakened Munster.

I'd say POM and Beirne are the only two likely to be rested (influential players, in fairness). Munster have rotated in and out most of their guys up to now given they haven't had Ireland enforced limitations on the vast majority.

It should be a really interesting game. The big question for me will be whether they play Carbery in Dublin. It will be his fourth game on the trot and he'll have two more certain appearances in the HEC to follow. He needs time at 10 but I wonder if they'll need to balance that with some rest time. He's almost certainly going to be flying to Chicago in late October.

It would be disappointing but I can see us missing out on the Byrne vs Carbery clash. Munster will need to give him game time with Matthewson though so fingers crossed.

• Advertisement

Scott Penny hype train.... Anyone keen?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

Annnnnnd, the Tank is back!

Decent win with our defence showing up extremely well. The players have excellent line speed and snuffed out any momentum Connacht built. We also put in some huge hits in our 22 that knocked the Westies off their rhythm.

VdF is the form player in the country right now. Playing at such a high level and setting the standard for every other back row. Conan has been excellent as well. Porter was very impressive when he came on as well. Been very good in every appearance this season. No doubt Munster and Ulster will be desperate to sign him.

Still think we're not quite clicking in attack. Lowe was the pick of the outside backs but trying to force things too much. Also frustrating to see us muck up in or near their 22 so many times. I feel that we're not a million miles off our best best but still have a lot to do to be ready for the Champions Cup games.

I'm a bit concerned about Kearney's form as well. He's just so slow compared to his peers in the back 3. I've doubted him before and he's come back strong so there's the possibility he'll be fine in a few weeks. Right now the back three for Wasps has to be Larmour, Lowe and Kearney.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Decent win with our defence showing up extremely well. The players have excellent line speed and snuffed out any momentum Connacht built. We also put in some huge hits in our 22 that knocked the Westies off their rhythm.

VdF is the form player in the country right now. Playing at such a high level and setting the standard for every other back row. Conan has been excellent as well. Porter was very impressive when he came on as well. Been very good in every appearance this season. No doubt Munster Nas Ulster will be handing around like a bad stink, looking to sign him.

Still think we're not quite clicking in attack. Lowe was the pick of the outside backs but trying to force things too much. Also frustrating to see us muck up in or near their 22 so many times. I feel that we're not a million miles off our best best but still have a lot to do to be ready for the Champions Cup games.

I'm a bit concerned about Kearney's form as well. He's just so slow comoared to his peers in the back 3. I've doubted him before and he's come back strong so there's the possibility he'll be fine in a few weeks. Right now the back three for Wasps has to be Larmour, Lowe and Kearney.

Larmour at 15 linking up with Lowe has been brilliant so far this season. I think that might be the best way going forward.

But you can't overstate how much comfort Kearney gives you as a defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Have we any idea if Ryan and Leavy will be available for next weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Richie_Rich89

And there we have it, folks! Joe Tomane has more minutes for Leinster than Conor O'Brien has. You'd have to wonder whether Leinster are really all that committed to developing their own inside centre. Do they think if they suppress their own talent they'll be justified in bringing in a shiny, new, ready-made guy from elsewhere? It certainly seems as if the IRFU are rewarding Leinster for their failure to develop a 12.

We had Leinster fans a couple of months back telling Ulster supporters on here that the IRFU telling Ulster they couldn't keep Pienaar was the right thing to do. They couldn't be rewarded for a failure to develop a nine. They couldn't be de-incentivised from developing from within by being allowed to hang on to Pienaar.

I wonder what people make of this. Will they be consistent now that the shoe is on the other foot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

And there we have it, folks! Joe Tomane has more minutes for Leinster than Conor O'Brien has. You'd have to wonder whether Leinster are really all that committed to developing their own inside centre. Do they think if they suppress their own talent they'll be justified in bringing in a shiny, new, ready-made guy from elsewhere? It certainly seems as if the IRFU are rewarding Leinster for their failure to develop a 12.

We had Leinster fans a couple of months back telling Ulster supporters on here that the IRFU telling Ulster they couldn't keep Pienaar was the right thing to do. They couldn't be rewarded for a failure to develop a nine. They couldn't be de-incentivised from developing from within by being allowed to hang on to Pienaar.

I wonder what people make of this. Will they be consistent now that the shoe is on the other foot?

:p:p:p:p:p:p

You are trying to accuse Leinster of not developing talent?

Keep trolling

Decent performance but still things to work on. Defence is solid, forwards are winning the collisions and we've some individuals in cracking form.

Errors in attack is a concern. Yesterday there seemed to be confusion over who was the intended recipient on a pass, which led to knock ons. A few loose offloads that didn't go to hand when if they did a try would've been scored. They're not huge problems and can be fixed with a bit of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Maybe the coaches don’t rate Conor O Brien as highly as you, I’m going to go out on a limb here and say I trust the Leinster coaches more than some random bloke on the internet who has a beef with foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    :p:p:p:p:p:p

You are trying to accuse Leinster of not developing talent?

Keep trolling

Please don't quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

You mean by raiding Connacht for a player to fill the gap in that position? Hmmmm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

I think I'm actually starting to dislike this Conor O'Brien guy.

robbie-henshaw-leinster-2.jpg

If only we had a really good, Leinster born 12 so that we wouldn't need Joe Tomane.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

What I don't really get is why, if we needed a centre, did we not just sign one?

I've seen plenty of Tomane and know him to be a good player, however this is all on the wing. He hasn't much credentials in the centre apart from his time at Montpellier, and even less of that coming at first centre.

If we wanted an overseas centre there are better options with more experience in the position.
    If we wanted a jack of all trades there are also more versatile options than Tomane.

It's frustrating because he's a decently high quality overseas player (who importantly does not fall afoul of the Kolpak rule), however his skills lie within a position in which we have little need, while our need lies in a position in which he does not (currently) have the skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭DonVito

I very much doubt management felt there was a pressing need to sign anyone. But Tomane essentially knocked on the door and said he was willing to sleep on the floor.

• Advertisement

DonVito wrote: »
    I very much doubt management felt there was a pressing need to sign anyone. But Tomane essentially knocked on the door and said he was willing to sleep on the floor.

He's a quality player and I'm sure he's being well paid for the role he is playing for us.

Thought he grew into the game yesterday, his best outing for us and still a long way to go for him.

Lowe was in field a lot yesterday also, looks like he could handily cover centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

He's a quality player and I'm sure he's being well paid for the role he is playing for us.

Thought he grew into the game yesterday, his best outing for us and still a long way to go for him.

Lowe was in field a lot yesterday also, looks like he could handily cover centre.

Lowe looked really good yesterday. The man is a beast for breaking tackles. Tomane might take a bit of time to settle into the team but he is a decent player.

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    Lowe looked really good yesterday. The man is a beast for breaking tackles. Tomane might take a bit of time to settle into the team but he is a decent player.

Lowe just is really good.

Really really really really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I think I'm actually starting to dislike this Conor O'Brien guy.

I don't think he actually exists.

I don't think he actually exists.

I see him as more a Keyser Soze type character limping away at the end with the 12 jersey

Lowe just is really good.

Really really really really good.

He must be a pain in the hole to play against, he’s very strong and loves to be physical, if you don’t get a solid tackle on him he will likely make a fool of you. On top of that he’s very intelligent and does it all with a big grin on his face like he can’t believe he’s getting paid for it because he’d do it for free.

FACECUTTR wrote: »

Lowe lost possession at least three times for us though. I think he demonstrated how good he could be. But also sort of how bad.

errlloyd wrote: »
    Lowe lost possession at least three times for us though. I think he demonstrated how good he could be. But also sort of how bad.

The most boards.ie rugby forum response of all time.

Two of Lowe's offloads could easily have gone to hand. In those situations the receiver is just as much to blame.

Looking back on the game he could easily have won motm. His workrate was incredible. Popped up as second receiver numerous times and put people into space on the outside, hit rucks hard, and our player with most metres made, clean breaks and defenders beaten. He simply must start our big games this season.

• Advertisement

Two of Lowe's offloads could easily have gone to hand. In those situations the receiver is just as much to blame.

Looking back on the game he could easily have won motm. His workrate was incredible. Popped up as second receiver numerous times and put people into space on the outside, hit rucks hard, and our player with most metres made, clean breaks and defenders beaten. He simply must start our big games this season.

I agree. He has such an abrasive running style and he clears out like a forward. Unbelievable player, so much energy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement