Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

I thought the only 2 non EU/kolpak thing only mattered in European games?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

For this match I'd rather have Fardy. Munster's pack have shown that they're susceptible to being blown away by strong carrying and rucking opposition. That's Fardy's raison d'etre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Tomtom364 wrote: »

Nope, applies to Pro14 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Tomtom364 wrote: »
    No same in pro14

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I don't think this is true?

You're probably right. I just assumed that was the case to an extent (obviously he'd be left out due to the Kolpak situation on occasoin too). But I'm not sure if I could cite a direct quote that it's the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,059 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I'd never heard Lowe has to manage rheumatoid arthritis. It has ravaged many of my family, massive respect to him.

Still hope to see him at some stage tomorrow, if this game is going to have a lot of squad rotation on both sides, I'd much rather see a lot of cutting loose and let it stand alone as a traditional derby than a dull cagey points grab

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I don't think this is true?

It's just the Kolpak thing that limits him (and let's be honest, his defence was an issue at first, but much improved).

I'd like to see Fardy and JGP to give Toner a rest and because JGP has been better than McGrath.

I don't think it's as strict as the minutes managed program that Irish players have.

But Lowe has said in the past it can take him longer to recover sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/90126907/Chiefs-wing-James-Lowe-admits-scary-realities-factor-in-three-year-deal-with-Leinster
    The proud Tasman and New Zealand Maori representative was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis as a teenager, a condition that left him bedridden and in agony. But with some fierce determination, and the aid of modern medicine, he has fought through to forge a standout career.

"It's something I live with," explained Lowe. "It takes me a wee bit longer to recover from such a physical sport, but I'm still able to perform, to train and get through absolutely everything. As long as my body holds up I'll keep playing rugby."

Here comes the science part, concentrate...

Lowe has rheumatoid arthritis; basically his own immune system flares up every now and again and starts attacking his joints - but no flare-up, no problem. While this was previously an absolute baxtard of a disease to treat, it's now a lot more manageable thanks to recent treatments being developed.

This is very different to the much more common osteoarthritis, which is more of a 'wear and tear' type disease and definitely gets progressively worse with time and especially with high-impact activities like rugby - but doesn't really affect younger people as much. This is still very hard to treat properly, mostly just painkillers.

So if Lowe keeps his condition under control and doesn't have any flare-ups, then theoretically it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Rob Kearney (199)
    14. Fergus McFadden (172)
    13. Rory O’Loughlin (45)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (27)
    11. James Lowe (16)
    10. Ross Byrne (53)
    9. Jamison Gibson-Park (55)
    1. Jack McGrath (133)
    2. James Tracy (70)
    3. Michael Bent (108)
    4. Devin Toner (221)
    5. James Ryan (17)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (145) CAPTAIN
    7. Dan Leavy (55)
    8. Seán O’Brien (117)

16. Seán Cronin (157)
    17. Cian Healy (194)
    18. Andrew Porter (34)
    19. Mick Kearney (38)
    20. Josh van der Flier (63)
    21. Luke McGrath (99)
    22. Noel Reid (102)
    23. Dave Kearney (124)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

Surprised Fardy is not in the match day squad, wonder does he have some small injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Thanos wrote: »
    Surprised Fardy is not in the match day squad, wonder does he have some small injury.

Leinster can only include two out of Lowe, JGP & Fardy in a matchday squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Thanos

nc6000 wrote: »
    Leinster can only include two out of Lowe, JGP & Fardy in a matchday squad.

Sure, I know, I was expecting to see Fardy and JGP this week, with Lowe then (possibly) coming back in next week.

Guess it just means he is nailed on for next week, with JGP and Lowe left to fight over the remaining spot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iminterestd0

Leinster Rugby ‘A’

15. Jack Kelly CAPTAIN
    14. Adam Byrne
    13. Jimmy O’Brien
    12. Conor O’Brien
    11. Michael Silvester(U21)
    10. Ciarán Frawley
    9. Nick McCarthy
    1. Michael Milne(U20)
    2. Ronan Kelleher(U21)
    3. Vakh Abdaladze
    4. Charlie Ryan(U20)
    5. Jack Dunne(U21)
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny(U20)
    8. Caelan Doris(U21)

16. Dan Sheehan(U21)
    17. Giuseppe Coyne(U20)
    18. Jack Aungier(U21)
    19. Ryan Baird(U20)
    20. Ronan Watters(U20)
    21. Patrick Patterson(U21)
    22. David Hawkshaw(U20)
    23. Liam Turner(U20)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Leinster Rugby ‘A’

15. Jack Kelly CAPTAIN
    14. Adam Byrne
    13. Jimmy O’Brien
    12. Conor O’Brien
    11. Michael Silvester(U21)
    10. Ciarán Frawley
    9. Nick McCarthy
    1. Michael Milne(U20)
    2. Ronan Kelleher(U21)
    3. Vakh Abdaladze
    4. Charlie Ryan(U20)
    5. Jack Dunne(U21)
    6. Josh Murphy
    7. Scott Penny(U20)
    8. Caelan Doris(U21)

16. Dan Sheehan(U21)
    17. Giuseppe Coyne(U20)
    18. Jack Aungier(U21)
    19. Ryan Baird(U20)
    20. Ronan Watters(U20)
    21. Patrick Patterson(U21)
    22. David Hawkshaw(U20)
    23. Liam Turner(U20)

Suprised not to see either Dooley or Ed Byrne out. I know Dooley was doing captains run but I thought this would be a good run out for one of them.

I wonder did Nagle not get through the RTP or did they just rest him.

To be fair given that team would probably beat the Dragons seniors maybe it was a good chance to give younger players a run :pac:

Does Jack Kelly have a fixed position? Seems to flit between wing, centre and fullback quite a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Clegg wrote: »
    Does Jack Kelly have a fixed position? Seems to flit between wing, centre and fullback quite a lot.

He's been getting an extended run at fullback which is his preferred position. He hasn't always been so lucky with the 20's but that's probably due to management mixing and matching. Should hopefully show whats he's made of in this extended run he's getting. I do have question marks over his aerial ability but if he can tidy that up I can see him pushing forwards from here.

Clegg wrote: »

hasn't been playing centre this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Here comes the science part, concentrate...

Lowe has rheumatoid arthritis; basically his own immune system flares up every now and again and starts attacking his joints - but no flare-up, no problem. While this was previously an absolute baxtard of a disease to treat, it's now a lot more manageable thanks to recent treatments being developed.

This is very different to the much more common osteoarthritis, which is more of a 'wear and tear' type disease and definitely gets progressively worse with time and especially with high-impact activities like rugby - but doesn't really affect younger people as much. This is still very hard to treat properly, mostly just painkillers.

So if Lowe keeps his condition under control and doesn't have any flare-ups, then theoretically it shouldn't be an issue.

Hello Mr Dr. Assuming, the disease hasn't already caused any damage...and that the treatment doesn't have any side-effects. And so on.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Hello Mr Dr. Assuming, the disease hasn't already caused any damage...and that the treatment doesn't have any side-effects. And so on.

avengers00c-mr-octor-its-strange-mr-doctor-maybe-who-am-13091059.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well I guess Former Former's next username can be Mr. Dr. Assuming

Well I guess Former Former's next username can be Mr. Dr. Assuming

That's assuming he changes username based in total on former behaviour.

That's assuming he changes username based in total on former behaviour.

At this stage they’re the stuff of legend

swiwi_ wrote: »

Yes. That's why my post contains liberal use of "if" and "theoretically". A weak effort even by your standards.

I'm not a doctor btw, I'm a pharmacist.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just admit you're Franno.

Just admit you're Franno.

If you admit you're David Corkery

If you admit you're David Corkery

I think you mean David Limerickery

Leinster A won 29-48. Scott Penny, Caelan Doris amongst the tries.

Delighted with the win. Beating a full strength Munster with a weakened XV is always something to be pleased about. That was our biggest test of the season and we went very well.

James Ryan and James Lowe were sensational. VdF made a huge impact off the bench. Workrate is phenomenal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Team for next weekend

Larmour, McFadden, Ringrose, Henshaw, Lowe, Sexton, McGrath, Conan, VdF, Ruddoch, Ryan, Fardy, Furlong, Cronin, Healy

Very very tough to leave out Toner but that's what I'd go with.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement