Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    troyzer wrote: »
    He's just never going to be that. He's a rock solid defender but he's never going to break open the line for a huge run. Leo knows that and so does Schmidt. You pick him because he's probably the most reliable defender at fullback in Europe, but that's it.

And yet his slice n dice against connacht was instrumental in the Ringrose try

True but even a prop can do that once in a blue moon. As a fullback, Kearney isn't very dynamic in attack in general.

Personally I don't mind that. Most of Leinster's tries are carefully rehearsed and there's plenty of explosiveness in the rest of the backs to get the odd try on the back of raw talent.

Kearney's defensive game is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

True but even a prop can do that once in a blue moon. As a fullback, Kearney isn't very dynamic in attack in general.

Personally I don't mind that. Most of Leinster's tries are carefully rehearsed and there's plenty of explosiveness in the rest of the backs to get the odd try on the back of raw talent.

True but more worrying is that he seems to have lost a yard of pace this season. I wonder even with his flawless defensive reads might he get burned up by a flying winger come the Heineken Cup or autumn internationals. He compensates well for his lack of top drawer acceleration I just don’t know how many more seasons he’ll get away with it for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Anthracite

Clegg wrote: »
    The reactions on the match thread make this victory so much sweeter. They're going mental that they couldn't beat a weakened Leinster side.
    It's great to see these soccer attitudes developing in rugby as it attracts new fans.

Heymans wrote: »

True but more worrying is that he seems to have lost a yard of pace this season. I wonder even with his flawless defensive reads might he get burned up by a flying winger come the Heineken Cup or autumn internationals. He compensates well for his lack of top drawer acceleration I just don’t know how many more seasons he’ll get away with it for.

The decline when it comes will be fairly rapid. Larmour is getting any minutes at 15 to be ready when the time comes.

In the meantime, let's just enjoy the most decorated player in Irish rugby history while we can.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Well I’d say he only needs to get away with it for 12 odd more more months, post WC I’d say he will be finished with Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

People have been saying this for about six years now. It's bizarre.

When someone is good enough to displace him, they will. As it is, there's no one likely to do so, either for province or country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Willie Le Roux went off for HIA yesterday and stayed off. Big loss for Wasps if he is unavailable

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ruddock had another strong game. He's a surefire starter for next Friday. I'm delighted that he's started the season so well. He's making a huge push for international selection.

Our openside must be VdF. He's simply the best player in Ireland right now. He may not have the grunt of Leavy/SoB but his workrate is unmatchable and he's technically excellent at everything in the ruck.

Not sure what to do with SoB. At his best he's up there with the best players in the world. But he's not at peak level yet and the form of others is too good to ignore. I also think that his best work is done at the ruck and tackle. Conan is a better carrier than him now. Jack should be the starting 8. Dunno where this leaves Leavy who was superb last season but hasn't played much yet this season. Lots of options which is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

One of Leavy, VdF or SOB probably isn't going to make the 23 next weekend. Mad stuff.

I'm guessing VdF to start and SOB to bench.

One of Leavy, VdF or SOB probably isn't going to make the 23 next weekend. Mad stuff.

I'm guessing VdF to start and SOB to bench.

They are all so capable, proven and consistent when fit that it's truly a horses for courses situation. No one weakens the team, but different strengths matter more against some opponents.

Very lucky situation for Leinster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Might they go with Ruddock has the second row replacement if needed while starting 6? The two lads went 76 and 80 minutes yesterday so it may only be injury a sub is needed. Would allow Lowe and JGP to start and bench respectively. Really don’t like the idea of Nick McCarthy covering 9 given how little he’s played

Could have both leavy and sob on bench then

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Might they go with Ruddock has the second row replacement if needed while starting 6? The two lads went 76 and 80 minutes yesterday so it may only be injury a sub is needed. Would allow Lowe and JGP to start and bench respectively. Really don’t like the idea of Nick McCarthy covering 9 given how little he’s played

Could have both leavy and sob on bench then

They could, but when Fardy, Toner and Ryan are your first three lock options do you want any not involved?

Lowe is unplayable, best back 3 in Europe this season and I think JGP is going to be the one who loses out despite playing very well so far.

Fardy looks to be getting rested a bit, but I think that's down to whatever the IRFU is up to with all provinces starting the season with full strength selections and the need to have someone carry the pack mid season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I think Conan is the player under pressure tbh. SOB might miss next week but go to Toulose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Which second row doesn't start? The team selection is going to be fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I think since toner is operating the lineout he is a garaunteed starter for now

Ruaidhri O'Connor tweeted that there's no injuries from last night. Good news after Byrne hobbled off and Cronin looked to get a head knock

Ruaidhri O'Connor tweeted that there's no injuries from last night. Good news after Byrne hobbled off and Cronin looked to get a head knock

Byrne had cramp from around 15 minutes before he went off. He had been trying to stretch out his right leg from early into the second half and wasn't surprised to see him depart at 70.

Stretching seemed relieve the tightness which leads me to think it was just cramp.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Byrne had cramp from around 15 minutes before he went off. He had been trying to stretch out his right leg from early into the second half and wasn't surprised to see him depart at 70.

Stretching seemed relieve the tightness which leads me to think it was just cramp.
    From Leo press conference

Toner took a knock but was fine to finish game
    Byrne had cramp
    JGP had a slight ankle roll
    J McGrath was only going to play 40
    SOB/VDF are getting gametime managed as much as possible

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

The team I'd play against Wasps:

Kearney
    Larmour
    Ringrose
    Henshaw
    Lowe
    Sexton
    McGrath
    Healy
    Cronin
    Furlong
    Ryan
    Toner
    Ruddock
    Van Der Flier
    Conan

Tracy
    McGrath
    Porter
    M. Kearney
    SOB
    JGP
    Byrne
    McFadden

The fact that Fardy wasn't even in the squad suggests to me that he's starting against Wasps. He's too good not to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

The fact that Fardy wasn't even in the squad suggests to me that he's starting against Wasps. He's too good not to start.
    But James Lowe.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,061 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Who would you drop?

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Who would you drop?
    Ideally JGP, but McCarthy doesn't seem like an option.

But I think Lowe will miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There's no way in hell Lowe drops out after how he's played the last couple games.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There's no way in hell Lowe drops out after how he's played the last couple games.

I can't see any way he doesn't to be honest. Obviously Ryan and Toner is a pretty decent to great second row but I'm not sure how much I would trust any of the others on the bench.

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Maybe they'll drop JGP then (unlikely IMO given how little we've seen of McCarthy), because surely Fardly will play. I still think Lowe will be the one to drop out. He has played well in the Pro14, but I do think he can be got at in defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

awec wrote: »
    Maybe they'll drop JGP then (unlikely IMO given how little we've seen of McCarthy), because surely Fardly will play. I still think Lowe will be the one to drop out. He has played well in the Pro14, but I do think he can be got at in defence.
    It’s just his smile. He is so happy. I’m in the middle of listening to the podcast with Luke and I just want to be his friend.

sullivlo wrote: »
    awec wrote: »
    It’s just his smile. He is so happy. I’m in the middle of listening to the podcast with Luke and I just want to be his friend.

"Jonathan"

Lowe has scored 15 trys in 18 games for Leinster. He's our most dangerous outside back with a skillset unlike any outside back in Irish rugby. The offloading and passing ability makes him a great option, but he was used a few times off first phase as a crash ball runner. He even made yards against a set Munster defence. He's incredible.I think he has to play in our European games.

Leinster's Double was built on an extremely aggressive pack that ruled the ruck and breakdown. Fardy was an important member of that pack. He can't be dropped either.

That leaves JGP as the odd man out. But he's miles better than Nick McCarthy as a back up. It's a tough decision for Cullen and Lancaster.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I can't see any way he doesn't to be honest. Obviously Ryan and Toner is a pretty decent to great second row but I'm not sure how much I would trust any of the others on the bench.

Yeah this is it.

Dropping Lowe means either Tomane or Dave K on the bench. Dropping Fardy means Mick Kearney on the bench and dropping JGP means Nick McCarthy. I know which one I'd be happiest with if there's an early injury.

But I dunno, maybe you play to your strengths and don't try to second guess every eventuality, in which case Lowe has to play.

I'm getting a headache

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement