Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Fardy and Lowe on Friday, with Fardy and JGP selected for the Toulouse game.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

At this point, it's hard enough to guess what the line up will be come Friday night but regardless, we're in a good place. The timely return of Jack McGrath will give us a boost also, allowing us some serious impact from the bench throughout the pack.

I'd guess we'll go with Lowe and Fardy for this one and bring JGP into the mix for the away match, as said above.

Ideally, I'd like to see

Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Fardy, Ryan, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, Kearney

Tracy, McGrath, Porter, Toner, Leavy, McCarthy, Byrne, Tomane/McFadden

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Buer wrote: »
    At this point, it's hard enough to guess what the line up will be come Friday night but regardless, we're in a good place. The timely return of Jack McGrath will give us a boost also, allowing us some serious impact from the bench throughout the pack.

I'd guess we'll go with Lowe and Fardy for this one and bring JGP into the mix for the away match, as said above.

Ideally, I'd like to see

Healy, Cronin, Furlong, Fardy, Ryan, Ruddock, VDF, Conan, McGrath, Sexton, Lowe, Henshaw, Ringrose, Larmour, Kearney

Tracy, McGrath, Porter, Toner, Leavy, McCarthy, Byrne, Tomane/McFadden

You're leaving SOB out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

troyzer wrote: »
    "Jonathan"

“Philip” too.

Funny man.

You're leaving SOB out?

Forgot about him, actually. I'd probably go with him over Leavy on the bench. Not much in it though. SOB was tidy at the weekend, very physical and got stuck in. For a bench impact, I think Leavy might be better right now but I'd expect SOB to get the nod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Forgot about him, actually. I'd probably go with him over Leavy on the bench. Not much in it though. SOB was tidy at the weekend, very physical and got stuck in. For a bench impact, I think Leavy might be better right now but I'd expect SOB to get the nod.

As awesome as SOB is, I think our other backrows are simply too good for him to just walk back into the team. I think he needs more than a solid performance to replace Ruddock/Leavy/VDF. I think he comes in ahead of the rest of the following pack though if returning from injury (eg Conan).

Sangre wrote: »
    As awesome as SOB is, I think our other backrows are simply too good for him to just walk back into the team. I think he needs more than a solid performance to replace Ruddock/Leavy/VDF. I think he comes in ahead of the rest of the following pack though if returning from injury (eg Conan).

I imagine Cullen is sounding out Schmidt on who he's going to take in November. That would factor into selection for Europe surely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Yeah I agree with this entirely. He needs to do more than just be fit and available. We're going back to the Lions tour for the last time he played like himself of old which is 15 months ago or whatever.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I imagine Cullen is sounding out Schmidt on who he's going to take in November. That would factor into selection for Europe surely.

Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iminterestd0

Expect no SOB this week, two games in a row and a short turn around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Nice. I'll be in Belgium next week. Cheers the British Isles!

Excuse yourself. Very offensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Lowe simply has to play. He can do things no player in Leinster and very few players in Europe can do. We lose to Munster without him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Heymans wrote: »
    Excuse yourself. Very offensive.
    Sensitive much? It's a geographical designation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I've never heard of anyone being offended by Belgium before.

For shame. This forum could be packed with Congolese rugby supporters for all you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I do know a Belgium joke! Okay, what's Belgium famous for? Chocolates and child abuse and they only invented the chocolates to get to the kids.

For shame. This forum could be packed with Congolese rugby supporters for all you know.

Well, on the one hand Belgium did develop their infrastructure and economic base.

On the other hand......wait. There's no hand.

Too soon?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iminterestd0

Actual Leinster A side from win at the weekend:

15. Jack Kelly CAPTAIN;
    14. Adam Byrne,
    13. Jimmy O'Brien,
    12. Conor O’Brien (Liam Turner, 69),
    11. Michael Silvester;
    10. Ciaran Frawley (David Hawkshaw, 75),
    9. Nick McCarthy (Patrick Patterson, 75);
    1. Michael Milne (Giuseppe Coyne, 78),
    2. Ronan Kelleher (Dan Sheehan, 69),
    3. Jack Aungier (Vakh Abdaladze, half-time),
    4. Charlie Ryan,
    5. Ryan Baird (Ronan Watters, half-time),
    6. Josh Murphy,
    7. Scott Penny (Martin Maloney, 77),
    8. Caelan Doris.

TRIES: Adam Byrne 2, Scott Penny 2, Jimmy O'Brien 2, Nick McCarthy, Caelan Doris; CONS: Ciaran Frawley 3, Jimmy O'Brien

Well, on the one hand Belgium did develop their infrastructure and economic base.

On the other hand......wait. There's no hand.

Too soon?

Backing%20Away_zpsrk0etgha.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hopefully Leinster protect their rucks a bit better against Wasps than they did against Muster. They never had anyone defending behind the ruck unless going for the turnover. They were very susceptible to a pick and drive through the middle and I don't think Munster exploited this as much as they could have.

I know this was a deliberate tactic by Leinster to flood the pitch with as many players as possible but if Wasps do their homework they will be able to pick up some easy yards until Leinster start reinforcing the ruck defence a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Hopefully Leinster protect their rucks a bit better against Wasps than they did against Muster. They never had anyone defending behind the ruck unless going for the turnover. They were very susceptible to a pick and drive through the middle and I don't think Munster exploited this as much as they could have.

I know this was a deliberate tactic by Leinster to flood the pitch with as many players as possible but if Wasps do their homework they will be able to pick up some easy yards until Leinster start reinforcing the ruck defence a bit more.

Maybe it was a Leinster tactic for this game.

Backing%20Away_zpsrk0etgha.gif

I saw you liking my post before sneakily unliking it.

Schnaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

prawnsambo wrote: »

Well that puts an end to that particularly debate then.

Lowe and Fardy it is.

Good news and bad news for Wasps. Launchbury, Brady Shields and WLR are all expected to be available for selection on Friday but Dan Robson hurt his knee against Gloucester and could be out for a significant spell. He's a big loss to them.

I'm not sure if they'll start Shields and WLR or try to bring them in from the bench. WLR has just returned from the Rugby Championship and had a head knock that forced his removal against NZ (but passed subsequent tests). If he does play, I can't see him being in peak condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Good news and bad news for Wasps. Launchbury, Brady Shields and WLR are all expected to be available for selection on Friday but Dan Robson hurt his knee against Gloucester and could be out for a significant spell. He's a big loss to them.

I'm not sure if they'll start Shields and WLR or try to bring them in from the bench. WLR has just returned from the Rugby Championship and had a head knock that forced his removal against NZ (but passed subsequent tests). If he does play, I can't see him being in peak condition.

Wasps played him on the week off in the Rugby Championship, he flew back to England played and then flew back out to SA.
    Apparently he is off to Japan next year so they'll play every chance they get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

I'm surprised they are saying le-roux is ok. the return to play protocols are 6 days and you have to pass your markers each day. So i imagine he is passing them but could always not hit them one day between now and Friday.

FrannoFan wrote: »
    I'm surprised they are saying le-roux is ok. the return to play protocols are 6 days and you have to pass your markers each day. So i imagine he is passing them but could always not hit them one day between now and Friday.

According to Young, he has his final cognitive test tomorrow and, pending that, he'll feature on Friday.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sopoaga didnt play for wasps this weekend gone due to a neck injury.... but likely he'll be fit this weekend

still, i think we should be targeting a BP win here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Not sure where Leinster stand going into Europe. We've done a good job with player rotation. All our front line players have got plenty of game time. Didn't expect the likes of Sexton, Ringrose, Henshaw etc to play anywhere. VdF and Ruddock have played themselves into fine form and are surefire starters for Friday.

We're doing some good things in attack off set piece and phase play. But the last pass hasn't always stuck and handling errors have occurred too frequently. Our defence is brilliant but we can't rely on that solely. Need to find our fluency in attack again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement