Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Clegg wrote: »
    Not sure where Leinster stand going into Europe. We've done a good job with player rotation. All our front line players have got plenty of game time. Didn't expect the likes of Sexton, Ringrose, Henshaw etc to play anywhere. VdF and Ruddock have played themselves into fine form and are surefire starters for Friday.

We're doing some good things in attack off set piece and phase play. But the last pass hasn't always stuck and handling errors have occurred too frequently. Our defence is brilliant but we can't rely on that solely. Need to find our fluency in attack again.

I think that pretty much describes where we are most years at this stage of season. Hopefully should start to click from next week fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

https://www.bbc.com/sport/rugby-union/45787854

Nathan Hughes cited for a punch, could be out of the game against Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I think any other team in the Heineken Cup would wish they had our 'problems'.

Yes, we are roughly where we tend to be at this stage in the season most years, but look at the return on that. I think considering the decent rotation of the side that has happened, a few handling and communication errors are to be expected, but most of what we are doing in terms of defence, set piece, variety in attack and the ability to shift through the gears is very good.

On top of that, a really good injury profile and frankly the most talented and accomplished squad in club rugby worldwide means we're in a great place.

Imagine being an opposition side watching VdF Leavy and O'Brien coming in to take your ball while being pillared by Fardy and Ryan, as Sexton, Larmour, Ringrose, Henshaw and Lowe rub their hands together waiting for service on a platter to finish you off. All the while supported by some of the most accomplished tight forwards in the game strangle you when their turn comes.

We're gonna beat both Wasps and Toulouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Larbre34 wrote: »
    being pillared by Fardy and Ryan, as Sexton, Larmour, Ringrose, Henshaw and Lowe rub their hands together waiting for service on a platter to finish you off.

All the while supported by some of the most accomplished tight forwards in the game strangle you when their turn comes.

Too wrecked after that weekend but there's definitely some kind homoerotic orgy joke in there somewhere

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Yes, we are roughly where we tend to be at this stage in the season most years, but look at the return on that. I think considering the decent rotation of the side that has happened, a few handling and communication errors are to be expected, but most of what we are doing in terms of defence, set piece, variety in attack and the ability to shift through the gears is very good.

It is of some concern that the "first team", whatever the hell that is, has not played together. But Cullen has done a pretty great job in mixing and matching and never putting out a weak team really. The idea that we can go up a couple notches with everyone available is pretty enticing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Podge_irl wrote: »
    It is of some concern that the "first team", whatever the hell that is, has not played together. But Cullen has done a pretty great job in mixing and matching and never putting out a weak team really. The idea that we can go up a couple notches with everyone available is pretty enticing.

Saracens at Easter. They hadn't played together at Leinster in 10-11 weeks.

Not concerned at all. Think Leinster will TBP this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Saracens at Easter. They hadn't played together at Leinster in 10-11 weeks.

Not concerned at all. Think Leinster will TBP this one.

My big concern is the only thing that is completely out of our hands which is the weather. That could be a great leveller if the forecast is accurate. Hopefully it hits the east coast early and is gone by Friday evening but we're in for a hell of a battering from the tail end of this storm. The wind isn't supposed to be too bad right now but the rain is supposed to be fairly torrential by the time kick off arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nathan Hughes incident: https://www.englandrugby.com/ertv/video/nathan-hughes-wasps-citing/?spMailingID=4253240&spUserID=MzQ1MTY5MTQ0MjkS1&spJobID=1130532085&spReportId=MTEzMDUzMjA4NQS2

He clearly punches him but is also provoked and could claim a level of self defence. Given he clearly throws a punch and it connects, he could well see a 1-2 week ban.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Buer wrote: »
    Nathan Hughes incident: https://www.englandrugby.com/ertv/video/nathan-hughes-wasps-citing/?spMailingID=4253240&spUserID=MzQ1MTY5MTQ0MjkS1&spJobID=1130532085&spReportId=MTEzMDUzMjA4NQS2

He clearly punches him but is also provoked and could claim a level of self defence. Given he clearly throws a punch and it connects, he could well see a 1-2 week ban.

its a strange action by 7 ... i wonder was Hughes the instigator... maybe other camera angles can pick up on why the 7 took that action.

either way, closed fist to the head , LE a couple of weeks, perhaps mitaged back to one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Leinster are fairly massive 15 point favourites on Paddypower.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Buer wrote: »

Hughes is a dirty player with a track record. He should get two weeks minimum.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

troyzer wrote: »
    Leinster are fairly massive 15 point favourites on Paddypower.

YR has the majority of rain to come in later on friday night, with a 40mm rainfall projected between 1:00am - 1:00pm saturday morning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

sydthebeat wrote: »
    YR has the majority of rain to come in later on friday night, with a 40mm rainfall projected between 1:00am - 1:00pm saturday morning

Very strong winds forecast though. Exits into the wind will be fun.

We've a better pack, a better set of halves and a better back line than Wasps in my opinion (even if LeRoux is available).

I don't think the weather matters because we can play a tight forwards game if an expansive game isn't on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

We've a better pack, a better set of halves and a better back line than Wasps in my opinion (even if LeRoux is available).

So a better team!

salmocab wrote: »
    So a better team!

We also have a better team.

Better players doesn't always mean better team, but in this instance we also have a better team.

That 15 point spread will widen when the teams are announced.

Faletau has a broken arm. Out for 2 months apparently. Borderline for back to backs in December

We might be fortunate enough to get the match played in a bit of a weather window, however the timing of two systems Thursday/Friday and later Friday/Saturday is uncertain.

Risks are mostly; storm damage to stadium facilities ahead of the game and consequent H&S risks. A risk of very heavy rain early Friday with further rain before and during the game causing an unplayable pitch (yes the RDS pitch usually copes well but this may be exceptional). Risk of spring tides and very low pressure causing coastal flooding affecting road and rail access to the match and gridlock in the Friday rush hour.

So basically, if you're travelling any distance (or even if you're not) , be aware there could be very late calls on the game going ahead, depending on minute to minute weather conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I have a cousin coming over from England for this. His name is Callum. He’s waited years for a storm to be named after him. Nownit could end up screwing him over. He’s not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

molloyjh wrote: »
    I have a cousin coming over from England for this. His name is Callum. He’s waited years for a storm to be named after him. Nownit could end up screwing him over. He’s not impressed.

Is it Callum Smith?

• Advertisement

Now thats an Alanis Morissette.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

troyzer wrote: »
    Is it Callum Smith?

Ha, no. He wouldn’t have needed drunken rescuing so often if he was. He’s got a very posh English accent which has helped get him in trouble a few times over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Ha, no. He wouldn’t have needed drunken rescuing so often if he was. He’s got a very posh English accent which has helped get him in trouble a few times over the years.

That's funny, I always pictured you with a very posh southsider accent, but far too hipster to get in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Zzippy wrote: »
    That's funny, I always pictured you with a very posh southsider accent, but far too hipster to get in trouble.

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Nah you nailed it there.

Callum Clark?

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh sounds like Conor McGregor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Just listened to Off the Ball podcast, I noticed at weekend on Eir but he really doubled down on podcast. Eddie O'Sullivan seems to hate Leinster.....

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Just listened to Off the Ball podcast, I noticed at weekend on Eir but he really doubled down on podcast. Eddie O'Sullivan seems to hate Leinster.....

Often thought there was a gripe there alright but had put it down to my own bias being in the mix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Random Bloke

Often thought there was a gripe there alright but had put it down to my own bias being in the mix!
    He also stated that the offside rule doesn’t apply in open play, and Earls was entitled to pick up the ball and score even if he was ahead of the ball. Woods disagreed with him, yet he repeated his claim that Earls was not offside.
    I used wonder why he couldn’t get a coaching job. Now I know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement