Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Nathan Hughes had his hearing this evening. No official word but he tweeted "What a joke" before quickly deleting it. One can assume he won't be playing on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Buer wrote: »
    Nathan Hughes had his hearing this evening. No official word but he tweeted "What a joke" before quickly deleting it. One can assume he won't be playing on Friday.

I suspect he's about to run afoul of the same "contact with head = mid-range offence" directive that has scuppered Mattie Rea.

And Hughes doesn't have a clean record to fall back on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

I suspect he's about to run afoul of the same "contact with head = mid-range offence" directive that has scuppered Mattie Rea.

And Hughes doesn't have a clean record to fall back on.

6 weeks apparently but not confirmed.

Liam Sopoaga whining about it on twitter claiming if Hughes really swung a punch someone would go asleep

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The hearing is taking its sweet time.

That tweet form Hughes deleted or not is going to get him in more trouble.

What a complete plonker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Well...

https://twitter.com/willgkelleher/status/1050149947461513216?s=19

Maybe the issue was the deleted tweet? Who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well...

Maybe the issue was the deleted tweet? Who knows.

You can bet the house on it. That dude's ban probably just went from 6 to 12 weeks, and when they put him out of his misery next week, there'll probably be a decent fine attached.

What a complete imbecile.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Met Eireann forecast looking like strong winds around 45Kph from 5pm to7pm tomorrow. Rain not as heavy as originally forecast at just under 2mm until 8pm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

He also stated that the offside rule doesn’t apply in open play, and Earls was entitled to pick up the ball and score even if he was ahead of the ball. Woods disagreed with him, yet he repeated his claim that Earls was not offside.
    I used wonder why he couldn’t get a coaching job. Now I know.

I didn't get to see the game, is there a clip of this?

If it's what I'm thinking, there was one time S.O'B passed the ball back to be received by an opposing player who was trying to chase him. That wasn't deemed an offside. And accepted by most.

Are we talking similar scenarios?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Teams announced today I presume.

Anyone want to have a stab at possible selection?

I go with:

1. Healy
    2. Cronin
    3. Furlong
    4. Fardy
    5. Ryan
    6. Ruddock
    7. JVDF
    8. SOB
    9. Mcgrath
    10. JS
    11. Larmour
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Lowe
    15. RK

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I didn't get to see the game, is there a clip of this?

If it's what I'm thinking, there was one time S.O'B passed the ball back to be received by an opposing player who was trying to chase him. That wasn't deemed an offside. And accepted by most.

Are we talking similar scenarios?
    No. An intercept is not offside (unless the intercepting player was offside at the preceding ruck). I think there's a clip of it in the match thread. The ball came off Sammy Arnold. And Earls was ahead of him. Same as if you kick a ball and a team mate who's ahead of you collects it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Heymans wrote: »
    Teams announced today I presume.

Anyone want to have a stab at possible selection?

I go with:

1. Healy
    2. Cronin
    3. Furlong
    4. Fardy
    5. Ryan
    6. Ruddock
    7. JVDF
    8. SOB Conan
    9. Mcgrath
    10. JS
    11. Larmour
    12. Henshaw
    13. Ringrose
    14. Lowe
    15. RK

That's the only difference I'd have with yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

Looks right. SOB or Leavy on the bench? Glad I don't have to make that decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wouldn't rate Hughes highly at all tbh, what's their 2nd choice like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

AdamD wrote: »

Agreed, he's quite easily negated - even for England he's never looked threatening against us, wouldn't have overly minded seeing him lining out for them.

Looks right. SOB or Leavy on the bench? Glad I don't have to make that decision.

Listening to Luke Fitz podcast, he said that Leo is extremely direct and would be very matter of fact with those conversations.

He said he reckons the teams have been picked well in advance and that they'd already have had a good look at Toulouse and Wasps at this stage and know how they want to play against them and who they want to use.

I suspect we might see Conan bench or sit out this week but start against Toulouse. He's ideal against those big French packs and offers a greater variety of play making options when our tight carrying game isn't as effective.

The big variable is Sean O'Brien. He consolidates a lot of the key strength's of our other backrower's and if he is close to full fitness you can't really leave him out.

Will be interest to see - roll on 12:00!

AdamD wrote: »

I imagine they'll move Nizaam Carr there. He's a decent player who was their No. 8 a lot last season. Won't weaken them at 8 but will disrupt their back row.

Probably Thomas Young to come into the back row then I'd guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gleesonisgod

Why is everyone going with Ruddock at 6 in their preferred back row?

Surely Conan, Vdf, and one of SOB/Leavy is the best we can put out.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I imagine they'll move Nizaam Carr there. He's a decent player who was their No. 8 a lot last season. Won't weaken them at 8 but will disrupt their back row.

Probably Thomas Young to come into the back row then I'd guess?

i think they are still sweating on brad shields fitness, so there could be a lot of disruption in their back row.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭LostArt

Why is everyone going with Ruddock at 6 in their preferred back row?

Surely Conan, Vdf, and one of SOB/Leavy is the best we can put out.

Because Ruddock's our best 6?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

I actually also think Ruddock is under pressure.

even with the weather forecasted, the odds on Leinster keep drifting out... currently -16

i wonder do they have rumours of wasps sending a scratch side?

I really hope they don't drop Ruddock for Leavy/SOB. He has been in excellent form and is doing the job we need from our blindside. 49 tackles made in his 3 starts this season (not including Connacht), only 1 penalty conceded, 39 carries....he's running himself into the ground. Incredible engine and Ruddock would be my first choice for blindside out of everyone in Leinster right now with the possible exception of Fardy (which won't happen).

If they do start someone else at blindside, it will be for tactical reasons because there's no argument that any of the other options is playing better rugby.

LostArt wrote: »
    Because Ruddock's our best 6?

I think it's safe to say there is a consensus that Conan starts because he is the only true 8, brings something different etc

And that VDF has been too good the last few weeks to leave out.

As good as Ruddock is, he has never hit the heights SOB has or Leavy last season.

because there's no argument that any of the other options is playing better rugby.

Well since you brought stats into it ... according to ESPN, Leavy made more meters, runs, and meters per run against Munster, and more tackles.

I know ESPN stats are off a lot of the time but Leavy was comfortably ahead in all those categories that I really don't think you can say 'theres no argument'.

As good as Ruddock is, he has never hit the heights SOB has or Leavy last season.

SOB and Leavy aren't hitting those heights either though. To me, they're not hitting the levels that Ruddock has hit this season so far either.

Before his injury in December, Ruddock was a strong contender for our player of the season last year. He was in the Irish 23 and playing the rugby of his life. Because he doesn't make massive yards or poach that much ball, I feel he gets very little credit relative to his performances.

Well since you brought stats into it ... according to ESPN, Leavy made more meters, runs, and meters per run against Munster, and more tackles.

I know ESPN stats are off a lot of the time but Leavy was comfortably ahead in all those categories that I really don't think you can say 'theres no argument'.

from what i saw from the stands, i though leavy was off the pace against munster.... ineffective for some rucks and out muscled in other areas.

looked like a lad trying to get back up to match pace

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think it's safe to say there is a consensus that Conan starts because he is the only true 8, brings something different etc

And that VDF has been too good the last few weeks to leave out.

Past tense...

SOB and Leavy are both fantastic options. But Ruddocks stats have been immense this season so far. And he's vice captain.

He is currently playing the best rugby of the 3 of them. And that's what counts the most.

I have no issue with any of them starting though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement