Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

sydthebeat wrote: »
    from what i saw from the stands, i though leavy was off the pace against munster.... ineffective for some rucks and out muscled in other areas.

looked like a lad trying to get back up to match pace

His offload to Gibson Park before the penalty try was absolutely deadly. He's actually set up a lot of tries in the loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Well since you brought stats into it ... according to ESPN, Leavy made more meters, runs, and meters per run against Munster, and more tackles.

I know ESPN stats are off a lot of the time but Leavy was comfortably ahead in all those categories that I really don't think you can say 'theres no argument'.

Leavy went well, no argument. He also looked rusty. He knocked on in a good position, conceded a couple of penalties and was bounced in a tackle he'd normally make in his sleep. I can't fault him for his work rate but he's also deployed in a different role to Ruddock where he's going to be the guy getting his hands on the ball in the loose leading to those stats such as his position on the wing for the penalty try.

I want an option who can shift bodies at the breakdown like a bulldozer, tidy up crap ball, stop mauls dead and keeping their nose clean whilst doing all of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Ruddock fundamentally doesn't have as high a ceiling in his game as the likes of Leavy or SOB. But he is more consistent and just reliably puts in rock solid performances. Does the basics right, won't let you down but unspectacular.

If I was looking for extra running options against a high scoring but defensively weak team, I would probably pick SOB or Leavy over him. But given that tomorrow is meant to be crap weather, Ruddock is a perfect fit.

Having said all of that, Ruddock is in form over the other two at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭gleesonisgod

Buer wrote: »
    Leavy went well, no argument. He also looked rusty. He knocked on in a good position, conceded a couple of penalties and was bounced in a tackle he'd normally make in his sleep. I can't fault him for his work rate but he's also deployed in a different role to Ruddock where he's going to be the guy getting his hands on the ball in the loose leading to those stats such as his position on the wing for the penalty try.

I want an option who can shift bodies at the breakdown like a bulldozer, tidy up crap ball, stop mauls dead and keeping their nose clean whilst doing all of it.

That's a fair argument.

Personally I think having such a good tight five kind of negates the need for those areas you mention in your last sentence.

I guess we'll just have to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I think a big thing that people are forgetting is we are one of very few teams either internationally or domestically who can pick horses for courses based on opposition.

I think Leo et al know that most combinations of our backrow resources will be able to get on top of Wasps. But what is the best combination that will benefit the game plan and the team as a whole.

I don't think it's as simple as X has been playing better and has to start in lieu of Y and Z

• Advertisement

I think a big thing that people are forgetting is we are one of very few teams either internationally or domestically who can pick horses for courses based on opposition.

I think Leo et al know that most combinations of our backrow resources will be able to get on top of Wasps. But what is the best combination that will benefit the game plan and the team as a whole.

I don't think it's as simple as X has been playing better and has to start in lieu of Y and Z

Which is why I'd go Ruddock, Conan, VdF with Leavy on the bench and rest SOB for next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Spideog Rua

Ruddock is the form 6 in the country for me.

Ruddock is the form 6 in the country for me.

POM was quality on Saturday. Just making an absolute arse of himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

When all our flankers are fit, I'd imagine we'll see different backrows that are built around a game plan for different teams.

So for example putting SOB in at 8 for teams we know we'll need a second 7 in for.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Jordan Larmour
    13. Garry Ringrose
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    11. James Lowe
    10. Johnny Sexton CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Seán Cronin
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. James Ryan
    6. Dan Leavy
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jack Conan

16. James Tracy
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Scott Fardy
    20. Seán O’Brien
    21. Nick McCarthy
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Joe Tomane

https://www.leinsterrugby.ie/preview/leinster-rugby-team-to-face-wasps-announced/?FixGuid=18LL9695

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭KevinK

15. Rob Kearney
    14. Jordan Larmour
    13. Garry Ringrose
    12. Robbie Henshaw
    11. James Lowe
    10. Johnny Sexton CAPTAIN
    9. Luke McGrath
    1. Cian Healy
    2. Seán Cronin
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. James Ryan
    6. Dan Leavy
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jack Conan

16. James Tracy
    17. Jack McGrath
    18. Andrew Porter
    19. Scott Fardy
    20. Seán O’Brien
    21. Nick McCarthy
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Joe Tomane

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Well it’s Leavy and VDF so we’ll see how they go

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Ruddock dropped, McCarthy on bench

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

Very harsh on Ruddock

• Administrators Posts: 53,799 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Well it’s Leavy and VDF so we’ll see how they go

That is a strange back row

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ruddock not in the squad is a huge surprise for me. Been one of our best players this season. Fardy only in the bench is another surprise. I suppose it's with a view for both lads starting away to Toulouse. Get your piano shifters sorted for that game.

Just the 14 homegrown internationals starting so. James Lowe really needs to sort himself out

Well bugger me. Not thrilled to see that move and it's insanely hard luck on Ruddock but it's still a cracking side. Some serious impact available from the bench forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

A bench of Porter, McGrath, Fardy and SoB is ridiculous. Imagine being the opposition and seeing those lads come on after 50 minutes.

awec wrote: »

Looking to attack the breakdown and move the ball, it would seem. Wasps back row is nothing special so it appears we're going to try and attack them.

Lets hope we get a break in the weather!

• Advertisement

I'd back that team to win the six nations.

The bench alone is pure and utter filth.

Launchbury fails his fitness test and isn't available. WLR, Shields and Sopaga all back in the Wasps side but the loss of Launchbury outweight all of those along with the loss of Robson.

How many minutes has Ruddock had? Maybe he's still nursing that hip injury from Connacht?

troyzer wrote: »
    How many minutes has Ruddock had? Maybe he's still nursing that hip injury from Connacht?

He did the 80 against Munster

Just noticed that Wade isn't in the Wasps 23 either.

15 Willie Le Roux

14 Josh Bassett

13 Juan de Jongh

12 Michael Le Bourgeois

11 Elliot Daly (C)

10 Lima Sopoaga

9 Joe Simpson

1 Zurabi Zhvania

2 Tommy Taylor

3 Kieran Brookes

4 Will Rowlands

5 James Gaskell

6 Brad Shields

7 Thomas Young

8 Nizaam Carr

Replacements

16 Tom Cruse

17 Ben Harris

18 Will Stuart

19 Kearnan Myall

20 Ashley Johnson

21 Craig Hampson

22 Billy Searle

23 Rob Miller

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

awec wrote: »

I love VDF and Leavy together. VDF chops and Leavy jackals. A bit like when Warbs and Lydiate.

The other noteworthy selection is the fact that Tomane has got the nod at 23 ahead of McFadden, ROL and DK.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Leinster should be taking that Wasps pack to the cleaners.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Leinster should be taking that Wasps pack to the cleaners.

Even though they have Tom Cruise on the bench, it certainly shouldn’t be...

*puts on sunglasses*

... Mission Impossible

• Advertisement

So if you manage to live with one of the most mobile, powerful and well drilled forward packs for 60 minutes, you then get Sean O'Brien, Scott Fardy, Andrew Porter, Jack McGrath and Joe Tomane running at you with fresh legs for the remainder.

Absolutely outrageous.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement