Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Tell him the match is in Cork.
    Ah, you'd just confuse the poor chap. "There are other cities?". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Two quick questions:

1) Are Newstalk doing the radio coverage?

2) I haven't had any luck changing my tickets. Three of us are season ticket holders in the South Stand and I bought two extra for my Dad and brother, but accidentally got them in the North Stand. I've been trying to change them with Ticketmaster but every time I ring, they tell me their lines are busy and disconnect me. They don't have a hold function.

I'll chance my arm at the box office but just in case, does anybody have two paper tickets to the South Stand they'd be willing to swap for the North Stand?

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭degsie

I presume that season ticket holders have full access to all home European games?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Newstalk are broadcasting the game live. The downside is that Liam Toland is the co-commentator.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

troyzer wrote: »
    Two quick questions:

Yeah, build up and the game itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Two quick questions:

2) I haven't had any luck changing my tickets. Three of us are season ticket holders in the South Stand and I bought two extra for my Dad and brother, but accidentally got them in the North Stand. I've been trying to change them with Ticketmaster but every time I ring, they tell me their lines are busy and disconnect me. They don't have a hold function.

I'll chance my arm at the box office but just in case, does anybody have two paper tickets to the South Stand they'd be willing to swap for the North Stand?

Cheers.
    Just do what most people do.

Use the tickets to get into the stadium. Then the 3 season ticket holders go in and claim 5 seats. One person goes out and brings the 3 season tickets out, gives them to the 2 other people. Means you can’t all go out at half time without the same logistics being required again, but it’s doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Kevski

degsie wrote: »
    I presume that season ticket holders have full access to all home European games?

For the group stages, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

sullivlo wrote: »
    Just do what most people do.

Use the tickets to get into the stadium. Then the 3 season ticket holders go in and claim 5 seats. One person goes out and brings the 3 season tickets out, gives them to the 2 other people. Means you can’t all go out at half time without the same logistics being required again, but it’s doable.

Yep have done this a couple of times in the past when I was in the South Stand and we had a rogue North Stand mate! Very straightforward to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Buer wrote: »
    If JGP keeps up his form he's going to make a fight of it though. His kicking is unrecognisable from where it was. The clearing kick after Jack McGrath stole the ball on the Leinster 5m line was top class, for example. He was about 7m from the sideline but still managed to nail his kick to about 10m outside the 22 from the base of the ruck.

Yeah, pretty much this. I think he's closing in on McGrath and actually might time his run of form to put his hand up for Japan. Personally I think they're both very good. McGrath main strength is his cover tackling which is excellent (see: McGrath ends Joey Carbery), JGP has that wicked skip pass he does to wingers when we're close to the line. We score off that a lot.

• Advertisement

Yep have done this a couple of times in the past when I was in the South Stand and we had a rogue North Stand mate! Very straightforward to do.

How is this going to work if it's a sell out though?

How is this going to work if it's a sell out though?

It's unallocated seating and there's no way everyone is going to show up tonight with the weather of the last 24 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Two quick questions:

Cheers.

Go in to the stand as three, one person go back out with the three tickets and bring the other two in.

Cheers for the tips lads!

Watched Wasps v Exeter and Wasps v Gloucester full matches over the last two nights.

Couple of things come to mind:
    • Dan Robson incredibly central to quite a few of their scores. He was one of their main attacking threats and takes opportunities when they present. He is a massive loss and kept them in both of those games.
    • Most of their scores in those two games come from broken play, their pack struggle to build a platform and Wasps were feeding on scraps for a lot of both matches.
    • Daly is in very good form. Was centre against Exeter and was excellent going forward.
    • They are dangerous early on, they have a tendency to exploit teams early which is a credit to their coaching and preparation.
    • Their wide defence is vulnerable, just by getting the ball wide off quick ball both Exeter and Gloucester were able to run in relatively straight forward scores, it was purely a case of Wasps just not working hard enough, neither team did anything particularly inventive.
    • Natahan Hughes is very much their CJ Stander. He's direct and carries hard and is a pressure relief valve when they need a few pick and goes to build some width and shape. Another bad loss for them.
    • Their maul defence is poor, an area we should and presumably will seriously target.
    • DeJongh is an important player for them in defence, shoots out of the line a lot and is quite accurate. Has plenty of pace and will disrupt us if we are predictable. Their line speed overall is definitely a strength and they offer plenty of aggression across the back line in contact. On the turn side of this it's high risk defending and they got caught too narrow for tries against both teams, once wide of mid field their one on one tackling and disruption at the breakdown is below par. Lowe will be a real threat for them.
    • They were narrowly ahead of Exeter at half time at home and looked for the most part the more clinical side. Exeter played much tighter from the get go after the break and immediately opened up a good lead by playing territory, holding onto possession and scoring through the set piece. Very much something we can replicate, albeit I think we'll start the game this way rather than resort to it in the second half.
    • When they went behind to Exeter they resorted to kicking the leather off the ball and their chase was lacklustre. They barely kicked in the first half but they just didn't have any answer to the questions Exeter were asking and lost their shape until Sopoanga came on and steadied things for them.

In short I think this could be a bloodbath if both teams play to potential. The main areas I feel we can target them are:

1. Maul. Wasps seem unable to legally stop an organised moving maul, it's a strength of Leinster's and I think we'll resort to it early and often.

2. Wide Channels. Their rush defence is good but if it fails they are very vulnerable, James Lowe could have a field day and it's a game set up for him to shine. Their defensive shape becomes quite narrow after a few phases and if Sexton gets any time at all on the ball he's going to exploit this.

3. Pick and go. Wasps coughed up clean breaks galore off second or third phase ball against Exeter. With a mobile pack like Leinster's we should be putting them under pressure around the breakdown and I expect the selection of Leavy and Conan is to provide first receivers for McGrath to exploit this weakness with Wasps packs.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Heymans

Watched Wasps v Exeter and Wasps v Gloucester full matches over the last two nights.

• Dan Robson incredibly central to quite a few of their scores. He was one of their main attacking threats and takes opportunities when they present. He is a massive loss and kept them in both of those games.
    • Most of their scores in those two games come from broken play, their pack struggle to build a platform and Wasps were feeding on scraps for a lot of both matches.
    • Daly is in very good form. Was centre against Exeter and was excellent going forward.
    • They are dangerous early on, they have a tendency to exploit teams early which is a credit to their coaching and preparation.
    • Their wide defence is vulnerable, just by getting the ball wide off quick ball both Exeter and Gloucester were able to run in relatively straight forward scores, it was purely a case of Wasps just not working hard enough, neither team did anything particularly inventive.
    • Natahan Hughes is very much their CJ Stander. He's direct and carries hard and is a pressure relief valve when they need a few pick and goes to build some width and shape. Another bad loss for them.
    • Their maul defence is poor, an area we should and presumably will seriously target.
    • DeJongh is an important player for them in defence, shoots out of the line a lot and is quite accurate. Has plenty of pace and will disrupt us if we are predictable. Their line speed overall is definitely a strength and they offer plenty of aggression across the back line in contact. On the turn side of this it's high risk defending and they got caught too narrow for tries against both teams, once wide of mid field their one on one tackling and disruption at the breakdown is below par. Lowe will be a real threat for them.
    • They were narrowly ahead of Exeter at half time at home and looked for the most part the more clinical side. Exeter played much tighter from the get go after the break and immediately opened up a good lead by playing territory, holding onto possession and scoring through the set piece. Very much something we can replicate, albeit I think we'll start the game this way rather than resort to it in the second half.
    • When they went behind to Exeter they resorted to kicking the leather off the ball and their chase was lacklustre. They barely kicked in the first half but they just didn't have any answer to the questions Exeter were asking and lost their shape until Sopoanga came on and steadied things for them.

In short I think this could be a bloodbath if both teams play to potential. The main areas I feel we can target them are:

1. Maul. Wasps seem unable to legally stop an organised moving maul, it's a strength of Leinster's and I think we'll resort to it early and often.

2. Wide Channels. Their rush defence is good but if it fails they are very vulnerable, James Lowe could have a field day and it's a game set up for him to shine. Their defensive shape becomes quite narrow after a few phases and if Sexton gets any time at all on the ball he's going to exploit this.

3. Pick and go. Wasps coughed up clean breaks galore off second or third phase ball against Exeter. With a mobile pack like Leinster's we should be putting them under pressure around the breakdown and I expect the selection of Leavy and Conan is to provide first receivers for McGrath to exploit this weakness with Wasps packs.

Brilliant - and I thought I was a rugby buff. How did you get the games on demand? Youtube?

Heymans wrote: »
    Brilliant - and I thought I was a rugby buff. How did you get the games on demand? Youtube?

Prem website has all the matches and no geo lock!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Great post. Really informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

tenor.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

Buer wrote: »
    It's unallocated seating and there's no way everyone is going to show up tonight with the weather of the last 24 hours.

They’re you’re not a true fan, I’d go to see the Boys in blue in rain, sleet or snow

• Advertisement

They’re you’re not a true fan, I’d go to see the Boys in blue in rain, sleet or snow

You maniac!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

I remember that New Years day game against Connacht which was the worst conditions I have ever experienced. Non stop rain. Cullen even gave us South and North stand dwellers a shout out at Full Time ha.

After that day I became a lifelong customer of Canterbury waterproof range and Timberland boots

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I remember that New Years day game against Connacht which was the worst conditions I have ever experienced. Non stop rain. Cullen even gave us South and North stand dwellers a shout out at Full Time ha.

After that day I became a lifelong customer of Canterbury waterproof range and Timberland boots

I will never forget that day. The day that convinced me to move to the Grandstand.

Glad to see your circumferential needs usurp your fashion sense

I think this might be a game where we strangle the life out of them. They are on the road, the weather isn't great and they are missing talismen. They will need a plethora of motivation to stay with Leinster for the duration. I think our linespeed will be important to dulling down their spirits and once they see they have no space and are being closed down very quickly their heads might drop. It might just be a night for our forwards to test themselves and see where they stand in a sh1tshow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

That was probably the worst conditions I’ve seen in the RDS, was in the grandstand that night. My brother and nephew were in the north stand for the first half and came down into the grandstand at halftime, like two drowned rats. Don’t know how people hack the north and south stands when it’s bucketing down.

stephen_n wrote: »
    That was probably the worst conditions I’ve seen in the RDS, was in the grandstand that night. My brother and nephew were in the north stand for the first half and came down into the grandstand at halftime, like two drowned rats. Don’t know how people hack the north and south stands when it’s bucketing down.

There was about 5-10 people in my vicinity who said feck it at half time and watched the rest of the match in the pub. I'm not the biggest fan of people leaving games early but fully justified that day ha

Heymans wrote: »
    Glad to see your circumferential needs usurp your fashion sense

Ha! The boots are horrible looking. They're my "adverse weather" attire. Great for snow, rain and cold. Function over fashion always

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There was about 5-10 people in my vicinity who said feck it at half time and watched the rest of the match in the pub. I'm not the biggest fan of people leaving games early but fully justified that day ha

It's days like today where the loss of Kiely's will truly be felt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭legohouse

Is there a boards league already set up here?

https://fantasy.epcrugby.com

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement