Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'll never hear a bad word said against hayden triggs, top man and a complete gentleman

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

It will be interesting to see what happens if Lowe plays in a big knockout match and the scores are close. My understanding is he narrowly missed out on higher honours in NZ because of a propensity to make 1 big mistake/poor play/wrong option in closely fought matches.

So far Leinster are just blitzing all and sundry so maybe we will never know...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭MarinersBlues

swiwi_ wrote: »
    It will be interesting to see what happens if Lowe plays in a big knockout match and the scores are close. My understanding is he narrowly missed out on higher honours in NZ because of a propensity to make a big mistake/poor play/wrong option in closely fought matches.

The only time I have watched him play a full game was against Connacht and he fired some pretty wild passes off instead of going to ground.
    He definitley cost Leinster two good attacking positions that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

It will be interesting to see what happens if Lowe plays in a big knockout match and the scores are close. My understanding is he narrowly missed out on higher honours in NZ because of a propensity to make 1 big mistake/poor play/wrong option in closely fought matches.

I hope we never have to find out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

If he's slow then how does he make so many metres every game? How did he score from the half way line the other night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

If he's slow then how does he make so many metres every game? How did he score from the half way line the other night?
    Well he had Rob Kearney running a blocking line for him. Elliot Daly would have had him otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Well he had Rob Kearney running a blocking line for him. Elliot Daly would have had him otherwise.

Screening line PS, screening line. :pac:

He was perfectly legal and wasn’t changing his line to block, although no doubt he knew exactly what he was doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Support line for the offload. The handsome one was expecting Lowe to be hauled down about 5m out and was primed for the offload

molloyjh wrote: »
    Screening line PS, screening line. :pac:

He was perfectly legal and wasn’t changing his line to block, although no doubt he knew exactly what he was doing.
    Support line actually. We really need to get our stories straight here. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Clearly he is lightening over 10 metres, not everyone is fast in the same way

• Advertisement

Clearly he is lightening over 10 metres, not everyone is fast in the same way
    Ah yeah, this isn't a criticism. He's extremely powerful and one of those wingers who can't be stopped 5m out. Gets up to speed quickly, but he can be overhauled, he's always looking for the offload though.

Wouldn't concern me in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Earls is the same. Great acceleration over 10-15 metres but doesn't have top end pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Clegg wrote: »
    Earls is the same. Great acceleration over 10-15 metres but doesn't have top end pace.

His tackle vs Italy in the 6N would beg to differ.

His tackle vs Italy in the 6N would beg to differ.
    Why would it? He's not fast like say Ioane is. He has great acceleration and is quick. But when matched with out and out speedsters he gets burned. Got done by Hogg a few seasons ago in the 6 Nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Why would it? He's not fast like say Ioane is. He has great acceleration and is quick. But when matched with out and out speedsters he gets burned. Got done by Hogg a few seasons ago in the 6 Nations.

https://streamable.com/9zscj

Is Bellini as fast as Ioane? :p

Again though that's not top end speed. I'm not doubting Earls' quality as a player or a finisher. Just that he isn't that fast compared to others in the game.

I love Lowe's way with words.
    The man himself, an affable character, insists he is happy to do whatever is best for Leinster, particularly given their options out wide.

“Everyone wants to play in the big games, everyone wants to play in every game that they are available for selection, but you’ve also got to understand that in my position there’s a lot of depth,” said Lowe after Friday’s 52-3 win against Wasps, in which he scored twice.

“Scott has played 30 or 40 international Test matches. When he comes on he brings is a lot of mongrel. He does his job really well, he’s a leader. He’s 30-odd-years-old, he’s bald but he’s definitely a leader in the team.

http://www.the42.ie/leinster-james-lowe-expendable-rules-4286420-Oct2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

TBH he had enough of a mane to donate some to Scott.

Venjur, photoshop please.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

TBH he had enough of a mane to donate some to Scott.

Venjur, photoshop please.

DEBAA2-D0-2-D4-E-4767-AAE9-F64-FEAB811-B0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

One of the Eggchasers podcasters works for BT and he said that at half time when the teams were coming off, he had never seen a team more exhausted looking than Wasps were; breathing heavy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Neil3030 wrote: »
    One of the Eggchasers podcasters works for BT and he said that at half time when the teams were coming off, he had never seen a team more exhausted looking than Wasps were; breathing heavy etc.

No surprise there at all. Even Dai Young said it 25 mins in, they couldn't keep making tackles the whole time like that. Eventually the dam will burst. It's pretty much what happened. We scored 1 try in the first quarter, 1 in the second, 2 in the third and 4 in the fourth. And 3 of the last 4 came in the last 10 minutes. We just wore them down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

molloyjh wrote: »
    No surprise there at all. Even Dai Young said it 25 mins in, they couldn't keep making tackles the whole time like that. Eventually the dam will burst. It's pretty much what happened. We scored 1 try in the first quarter, 1 in the second, 2 in the third and 4 in the fourth. And 3 of the last 4 came in the last 10 minutes. We just wore them down.

It's similar to how Ireland is designed to play at test level. Massive posession, grind them down.

The problem is that against Australia, they never seemed to have that clinical edge to finish them off with tries and Australia were always still in it with a few minutes to go despite having very little posession.

If Schmidt can translate this killer edge to test level as well as the defense, I think we'll beat the All Blacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

stephen_n wrote: »

I used to date her

stephen_n wrote: »

I DID NOT HIT HER, I DID NOT, OH HI MARK

I DID NOT HIT HER, I DID NOT, OH HI MARK

gKgmwEn.gif

troyzer wrote: »
    It's similar to how Ireland is designed to play at test level. Massive posession, grind them down.

The problem is that against Australia, they never seemed to have that clinical edge to finish them off with tries and Australia were always still in it with a few minutes to go despite having very little posession.

If Schmidt can translate this killer edge to test level as well as the defense, I think we'll beat the All Blacks.
    That's test rugby though. Even the ABs often don't get to assert any kind of dominance until the last quarter. And against good sides they can sometimes be behind at that stage.

That's test rugby though. Even the ABs often don't get to assert any kind of dominance until the last quarter. And against good sides they can sometimes be behind at that stage.

Of course, I'm not saying it's an easy step up. I'm just saying that the way Leinster played is probably the way Schmidt wants Ireland to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Game.

Pick your starting Leinster XV.

Then pick players currently playing in Europe who you think would improve the team, given the sort of game they currently play (important point this).

Count how many players you end up bringing in.

For me it's 5.

Healy
    Owens
    Tadhg
    Ryan
    Fardy
    Leavy
    VDF
    Picamoles
    De Klerk
    Sexton
    Lowe
    Henshaw
    Ringrose
    Daly
    Williams

Honourable mentions to:
    Maro, who seems to have rediscovered form, but I just don't think he has the skillset to play in this Leinster team
    Bundee, very close call between him and Henshaw
    Mako, another very close one, probably the closest.
    Davies, I just love Ringrose, sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,614 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Healy and Handsome Rob are doubts for weekend according to the IT

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement