Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Correct.

He becomes an Irish player. The Kolpak thing goes away.

Leinster have signed up Richardt Strauss as anthem coach in anticipation.

Sorry if I'm missing something FF, or indeed repeating something despite having been corrected.

JGP is still considered non-European under Kolpak until he can get an Irish passport. His eligibility for Ireland is irrelevant.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Sorry if I'm missing something FF, or indeed repeating something despite having been corrected.

JGP is still considered non-European under Kolpak until he can get an Irish passport. His eligibility for Ireland is irrelevant.

That's what I thought too. But then someone posted an image of a Pro14 document which qualified what "European" means and being IQ was included. It was a recent enough document too, it had a section on South Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Obtaining a passport is not required, but is an option.

He becomes a 'European player' if he completes 36 consecutive months of residence in Ireland or becomes eligible to play for the national team pursuant to World Rugby regulations so becoming eligible is enough without a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

We're now looking at Luke McGrath and JGP as senior players, and Hugh O'Sullivan and Patrick Patterson in the academy. It's a bit barebones considering Luke could well be involved a lot with the Irish setup.

Absolutely agree with this. Not just McGrath but JGP could be called into the extended squad too and have his minutes managed at some point in the 20 month season ahead. McCarthy is that bridge to the very young players and he will see game time regularly in the next 5 months.

Its too early to be making this decision now, Munster need to decide which of their 10 or 12 halfbacks are crocked, crap or actually a prospect and do some weeding before Leinster are forced to part with any more assets.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Don’t like the way a New Zealand reject is blocking talented scrum halves coming through that had dreamed playing for their province since they were a kid then being forced to another club cuz a lad from a different country comes in and stays there for three years and now he’s somehow “Irish”, we don’t need jgp, he’s a good player but Irish rugby doesn’t need him, hope he goes back to New Zealand, imagine how you would feel if you were Nick McCarthy and had to move province because a non Irish player took your place

JGP didn’t take nick Mc Carthys place as it was never his.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,492 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with this. Not just McGrath but JGP could be called into the extended squad too and have his minutes managed at some point in the 20 month season ahead. McCarthy is that bridge to the very young players and he will see game time regularly in the next 5 months.

Its too early to be making this decision now, Munster need to decide which of their 10 or 12 halfbacks are crocked, crap or actually a prospect and do some weeding before Leinster are forced to part with any more assets.

Is McCarthy leaving under duress?

Maybe the player and Leinster are both willing parties to this move?

Would that change your world view of Leinster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

McCarthy being a bridge would be good for Leinster but absolutely terrible for McCarthy. Basically hanging around to help develop his own replacement? You can see why he'd be looking for the door.

I'm sure he has bigger aspirations and Munster is a better place to make them happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

McCarthy being a bridge would be good for Leinster but absolutely terrible for McCarthy. Basically hanging around to help develop his own replacement? You can see why he'd be looking for the door.

I'm sure he has bigger aspirations and Munster is a better place to make them happen.

I’m ok with all of this, as long as Munster finally do the decent thing and change their home kit to purple. There’s too much blue in there for the red to hold.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is James Hart a beaten docket now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Is James Hart a beaten docket now?

Hart, Cronin, Williams, Murray...take your pick.

Even with all those players Munster were still able to sign Matthewson, we played McCarthy in QF of a champions cup because we had to...

It'll be interesting to see if a player comes the opposite direction if needed.

• Advertisement

swiwi_ wrote: »

Perhaps. I know for certain that Joey was under significant pressure to move and it was a requirement for his continued selection at 10 effectively.

Perhaps. I know for certain that Joey was under significant pressure to move and it was a requirement for his continued selection at 10 effectively.

No offence to McCarthy, but I doubt Joe or Nucifora would be that bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Someone posted the definition of a non European player (it was a picture of a document from Connacht or something) and being IQ is good enough to make him 'European' as far as the league and Euro cup are concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

No offence to McCarthy, but I doubt Joe or Nucifora would be that bothered.

I’m sure you would have said the same about Cooney, yet he is in the picture now. Though I doubt joe is forcing this move, Nucifora may well be encouraging it.

Thing I want to know is when they are officially rebranding to Lunster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Nucifora would surely be happy with this, a decent player likely to get good game time. Munster have an odd collection of backup SHs at the moment so I’m sure a couple are on their way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I can’t imagine Leinster are being forced to do anything here by anyone except McCarthy himself. O’Sullivan seems to be rated and McCarthy could well see his place as 3rd choice under threat. Plus maybe he wants a shot at more game time than we’re giving him?

I would wonder what’s going on at Munster with all these half backs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah I can’t imagine Leinster are being forced to do anything here by anyone except McCarthy himself. O’Sullivan seems to be rated and McCarthy could well see his place as 3rd choice under threat. Plus maybe he wants a shot at more game time than we’re giving him?

Yeah. That I find perplexing. Carbery moved to Munster where they actually have more out halves than Leinster. Certainly more that would be regularly starting in the league. And less that would be called up to international squads. And now another scrum half?

• Administrators Posts: 53,800 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

molloyjh wrote: »

Most of them are a bit rubbish?

If the raw materials aren't there then there's not really much Munster can do about that.

awec wrote: »
    Most of them are a bit rubbish?

If the raw materials aren't there then there's not really much Munster can do about that.

Stop a few of them drawing a salary would be a start. Theres no way all of those halves should have been retained on the books coming into this season only for more to arrive and be tapped up

Stop a few of them drawing a salary would be a start. Theres no way all of those halves should have been retained on the books coming into this season only for more to arrive and be tapped up
    Most of them are probably cheap enough, and I expect they'll be out the door when their current deals are up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,626 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I can't envisage a situation where both McGrath and JGP are taken by Ireland. McGrath himself barely makes the squad and Schmidt's only ever going to have 3 or 4 (max) guys around.

swiwi_ wrote: »

Maybe the player and Leinster are both willing parties to this move?

Would that change your world view of Leinster?

Of course he isn't, but I'm entitled to disagree with them both about the cover needed over the next 20 months. I've no problem with Leinster sharing the wealth where talent is deep, but scrum-half isn't and we should be looking after No. 1

Absolutely no certainty that it is.

AdamD wrote: »
    I can't envisage a situation where both McGrath and JGP are taken by Ireland. McGrath himself barely makes the squad and Schmidt's only ever going to have 3 or 4 (max) guys around.

I'll give you two - injuries and there being 23 test matches in the next 20 months. A fit McGrath always makes the squad

Say Murray doesn't recover as planned, that's McGrath gone for Leinster effectively until April.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

AdamD wrote: »

Two injuries and he's in the squad. If two of the 4 in the running at the moment (Murray, Marmion, McGrath, Cooney) go down injured out of sheer bad luck, who's next up? You've a choice between Blade, Williams, Hart, Cronin, Shanahan, or one of the academy guys. Or JGP.

awec wrote: »
    Most of them are probably cheap enough, and I expect they'll be out the door when their current deals are up.

Thats not good enough. Munster have no fat in their budget and any two of them, including training, medical and facilities would north of the quarter mil. They need to get their s**t together.

Thats not good enough. Munster have no fat in their budget and any two of them, including training, medical and facilities would north of the quarter mil. They need to get their s**t together.
    Paying them off would end up taking a good whack out of the budget too.

Absolutely no certainty that it is.

I don't see McCarthy displacing either McGrath or JGP.

Duncan Williams turns 33 this season, James Hart won't be kept and after that McCarthy's competition is academy prospect Jack Stafford.

He has a better prospect of winning trophies at Leinster, but also a better prospect of being in the stands when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,678 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

If JGP doesn't sign a new contract at the end of this season I'll go awec at Nucifora.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,649 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Jaysus.

We should start running workshops among all the young talent in Leinster schools and clubs..

Title of 1st Slide: Don't have a dream of playing for Leinster kids.... you might end up in Munster :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement