Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread X: [****]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

errlloyd wrote: »
    The only try that was potentially better was the Dev loop, Furlong footwork try.
    troyzer wrote: »
    I preferred the McGrath try with Toner's pass and Furlong's break and offload.

It was far more of a terrifyingly impressive try.

Sexton through the legs? It looks great on the highlights but it's not as technically impressive as a 130kg tighthead breaking ankles.
    Perhaps. But I always prefer a try with more moving parts. Team tries always shade it for me. And I only count the parts after the linebreak. :)
    So Ryan, McGrath, Conan, Sexton, Henshaw, Lowe >>> Furlong, Lowe, McGrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Kevski wrote: »
    5 week ban for Kaino and 4 week ban for Pointud.

http://www.the42.ie/jerome-kaino-lucas-pointud-ban-4291375-Oct2018/

This is flying under the radar somewhat currently. Both Kaino and Pointud are first choice players for them who have started 7/8 and 6/8 games this season, respectively.

Toulouse supporters seem more concerned with the absence of Pointud than Kaino due to the lack of options available at loosehead. They only have two other looseheads in their European squad; we'll face the 22 year old Castets (who featured off the bench last week) or the 18 year old Dave Ainuu (who joined Toulouse from amateur rugby in the USA this year).

It's a pretty brutal situation for them. I could see them moving a tighthead over to cover loosehead. It's a bit of poor planning from them though to only have three looseheads in their squad including a kid who has never started a match for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,169 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I'm failing to get worked up over McCarthy moving to Munster. Whenever I've seen him play he hasn't been all that good. We have two senior 9's that both play to a decent standard already. No guarantee he can reach that.

What's really puzzling to me is this Munster stockpiling of halfbacks and why the IRFU seem so blasé about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,615 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Clegg wrote: »
    I'm failing to get worked up over McCarthy moving to Munster. Whenever I've seen him play he hasn't been all that good. We have two senior 9's that both play to a decent standard already. No guarantee he can reach that.

What's really puzzling to me is this Munster stockpiling of halfbacks and why the IRFU seem so blasé about it.

Williams and Hart probably going
    Have to assume at least 1 and possibly 2 of the 10s are going as well.

3 or 4 players equating to probably 250-300k a year.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

stephen_n wrote: »
    The move makes perfect sense from McCarthy’s perspective and as such I’ve no problem with him going. Though once again in the short term Munsters gain is Leinsters loss. From an Irish perspective it makes sense too and that was my point. McCarthy may not have been starting but he played 21 times last season, which isn’t bad for a 22/23 year old scrum half given the season Leinster had. I think in general people are very quick to dismiss young scrumhalves. It’s a position that more than any other, apart from maybe 10. Requires plenty of game time to really develop into. I don’t think McCarthy is the future Irish first choice 9, but he could definitely be in the mix in a few years the same way as Cooney is.

I don't really agree in that SH is a position that exists all the way up from minis and doesn't require any real physical development to play. By age 20 you should be well on your way to being the finished article, with gametime against wily opponents the most important missing factor. A prop, by contrast is only starting out at that stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

What time is the game on Sunday Irish Time?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

stephen_n wrote: »
    What time is the game on Sunday Irish Time?
    3.15pm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I don't really agree in that SH is a position that exists all the way up from minis and doesn't require any real physical development to play. By age 20 you should be well on your way to being the finished article, with gametime against wily opponents the most important missing factor. A prop, by contrast is only starting out at that stage.

The game isn’t even remotely comparable, the changes in what’s required of a 9 at pro level is light years away from under age.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yes the position exists from minis but you are completely wrong in terms of game management etc. That only properly starts in youths rugby and its not about the physical development its about the real game management that comes in at later age grades.

Larmour to start at fullback according to the Indo.

• Advertisement

Indo also says McCarthy will remain in position as sub scrum half and Lowe will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Kolbe and Lowe, just fix the cameras on that side of the pitch each half!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

giphy.gif
    Neil3030 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

troyzer wrote: »
    giphy.gif

That'll be Tekori and Fardy ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Larmour to start at fullback according to the Indo.

Pretty much the only option if RK is injured.

On that issue, reading about a quad injury for RK is very worrying, considering he took two years to recover from the last one.

Neil3030 wrote: »

Such a contrast in styles, will be fascinating.

I've heard multiple squad members talk about getting humiliated in training by Larmour, it seems to be a regular enough occurrence and he would have similar dancing feet to Kolbe so Lowe should have some conditioning for the exchange.

Can't wait for this game. Leinster to double the spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Such a contrast in styles, will be fascinating.

I've heard multiple squad members talk about getting humiliated in training by Larmour, it seems to be a regular enough occurrence and he would have similar dancing feet to Kolbe so Lowe should have some conditioning for the exchange.

Can't wait for this game. Leinster to double the spread.

Can't check in work- what is the spread?

I echo the "can't wait" bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

baaba maal wrote: »
    Can't check in work- what is the spread?

I echo the "can't wait" bit.

8 points.

Toulouse are appealing Kaino's ban.

It's not known yet whether the appeal will be heard before the Leinster game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Would like to see Tomane get a go on the wing. Else McFadden straight in to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

Clegg wrote: »
    Toulouse are appealing Kaino's ban.

It's not known yet whether the appeal will be heard before the Leinster game.

That ban won't be overturned.
    They are also considering Pointud's ban...really!?!?!

French rugby is laughably corrupt, doesn't surprise me that they view these bans as heavy handed - Bastareaud was light years worse than either and got the same length.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

They have to consider appealing Pointud's ban purely due to the fact that they're in big trouble without him. Cyril Baille is out with a long term injury, Pointud is banned. They've a 22 year old who has 5 pro starts to his name backed up by an 18 year old who has made two senior appearances from the bench.

Even if they manage to get that ban reduced by 1-2 weeks, it will be worthwhile.

French rugby is laughably corrupt, doesn't surprise me that they view these bans as heavy handed - Bastareaud was light years worse than either and got the same length.

Is not a different disciplinary committee to the LNR ones?

scott1974 wrote: »

It is - which is why they are probably confused at actual sanctions being imposed !

• Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

scott1974 wrote: »

Yeah, I think Venjur means that it's no surprise that Toulouse think it's heavy handed, given their experiences with the French system.

molloyjh wrote: »
    Yeah, I think Venjur means that it's no surprise that Toulouse think it's heavy handed, given their experiences with the French system.

That and video evidence showing quite clearly that neither player made contact with the knee.

15. Jordan Larmour (27)
    14. Joe Tomane (6)
    13. Garry Ringrose (54)
    12. Robbie Henshaw (29)
    11. James Lowe (18)
    10. Johnny Sexton (152) (CAPTAIN)
    9. Luke McGrath (101)
    1. Cian Healy (196)
    2. Seán Cronin (159)
    3. Tadhg Furlong (89)
    4. Devin Toner (223)
    5. James Ryan (19)
    6. Rhys Ruddock (147)
    7. Josh van der Flier (65)
    8. Jack Conan (79)

16. James Tracy (72)
    17. Jack McGrath (135)
    18. Andrew Porter (36)
    19. Scott Fardy (26)
    20. Seán O’Brien (119)
    21. Nick McCarthy (30)
    22. Ross Byrne (55)
    23. Rory O’Loughlin (46)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,611 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Insanity that Fardy got nominated for European Player of the year last year and can't make the squad despite playing 3 positions.

• Advertisement

errlloyd wrote: »
    Insanity that Fardy got nominated for European Player of the year last year and can't make the squad despite playing 3 positions.

He's in the squad..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement