Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entitlement culture and the squeezed middle in Ireland

• 25-07-2018 10:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭

It would seem that that the less well off have it very handy in terms of "entitlements" The Wealthy have it all, well, just because they are wealthy. Where do the middle class sit?

Is there a fundamental unfairness in Irish society today regarding the middle class?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Leo has you covered, wouldn't worry about it now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Poor squeezed middle! Fiachra mightened get his ski holiday this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭Twenty Grand

Creative83 wrote: »
    Take a look at the State Benefits forum on here... lot's of threads, entitled to this and entitled to that... erm no you aren't!

But.. you are.

You're entitled to your tax credits, child benefit, sick pay and jsa/jsb if you need it.
    You're as entitled as everyone else in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

There is no squeezed middle. The middle class is doing quite nicely in a middle of the road, middling rich sort of way.

Anyone who regards themselves as part of a squeezed middle just hasnt woken up to the fact that they are working class, and too poor to be middle class. They are simply deluded. Wannabe middle class as it were.
    Feeling squeezed ? Then you arent middle class in the first place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Annnnnnnd its another AH dole thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Tax Credit.. oh wow thanks for giving me some "credit" back on my own hard earned wage that you thieved in the first place ...how gracious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

if you choose to self elevate yourself from your actual position in the working class to this "middle class" keeping up with the Jones nonsense you deserve to be squeezed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

ireland has a lot of poor people who labour under the illusion that they are "middle class". Just because they have a mortgage and pay some income tax they think they should have it made. the real middle-class scoff quietly at them and occasionally pretend they are grateful to them for all their hard work, dedication and community spirit. The Working class openly laugh at them, working for a living and buying their own house and spending money on their childrens' education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Chaos Tourist

There is no squeezed middle. The middle class is doing quite nicely in a middle of the road, middling rich sort of way.

Anyone who regards themselves as part of a squeezed middle just hasnt woken up to the fact that they are working class, and too poor to be middle class. They are simply deluded. Wannabe middle class as it were.

Indeed. Unless you're part of the professional class - doctors, solicitors etc - the real middle class - forget it.

It's a very nebulous term these days - deliberately put that way I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

What are people interpretation of middle class. I've hear different answers like, "anyone who works in an office", "anyone with a private pension", "anyone on a salary", "anyone on 30k", "anyone paying the ~40% tax" and "anyone on 60k or more" huge difference there, some people say 100k is above middle class others say 100k take home so about 190k is the upper limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭Creative83

GarIT wrote: »
    What are people interpretation of middle class. I've hear different answers like, "anyone who works in an office", "anyone with a private pension", "anyone on a salary", "anyone on 30k", "anyone paying the ~40% tax" and "anyone on 60k or more" huge difference there, some people say 100k is above middle class others say 100k take home so about 190k is the upper limit.

I think Leo said anyone above 28k

What, according to the denizens of After Hours, is the gross minimum salary an individual or couple must earn before they can be considered part of the "middle class"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,275 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

What, according to the denizens of After Hours, is the gross minimum salary an individual or couple must earn before they can be considered part of the "middle class"?

If you have to ask - you don't belong :pac:

80k each for a couple. 160k if only he is working.

100k suffices for singles to make the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Nermal

As originally coined it referred to around the top 10%.

Though regardless of how rich I was I'd still resent the freeloaders, so I don't really see the relevance.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Tax Credit.. oh wow thanks for giving me some "credit" back on my own hard earned wage that you thieved in the first place ...how gracious.
    Today's word

Intaxication : - Euphoria at getting a tax refund, which lasts until you realize it was your money to begin with.

Creative83 wrote: »
    Ok, that would be "upper middle class"... normal middle class would be a couple on 80k combined max

No, and thats the problem. They are simply middle class. Its the people on 50k or 80k combined, that think they are middle class, (but "squeezed"), but are in fact, working class.
    Upper middle class is the several hundred k per year. Rich indeed, but having to keep working for it. And so below the level of the upper class, who can live without working at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

And all those 'squeezed middle' can flagellate themselves even more when the extra carbon taxes are added in October.

Leo certainly looks after the people who get outta their beds early.
    Lol.

No, and thats the problem. They are simply middle class. Its the people on 50k or 80k combined, that think they are middle class, (but "squeezed"), but are in fact, working class.
    Upper middle class is the several hundred k per year. Rich indeed, but having to keep working for it. And so below the level of the upper class, who can live without working at all.

Well Luas, IE and BE drivers regard themselves as working class and are getting into the 50k pa territory.

Well Luas, IE and BE drivers regard themselves as working class and are getting into the 50k pa territory.

Kudos to them for their realism, as they are indeed working class. If a BE driver isnt working class, then what is the world coming to ?

• Advertisement

Kudos to them for their realism, as they are indeed working class. If a BE driver isnt working class, then what is the world coming to ?

It's not all about wages though.

If a BE driver was earning 100k would they be working class.

Plenty of shift operators in pharma earninging that wage who would consider themselves working class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Does wearing a top hat make you upper class?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

nice bit of an oul entitlement

KungPao wrote: »
    Does wearing a top hat make you upper class?
    Only when you pass 'Go' and collect £200

80k each for a couple. 160k if only he is working.

100k suffices for singles to make the middle.

For a more accurate definition of middle class income in Ireland in 2018 PEW Research has the following calculator and analysis. You must put in your net income and household size:

Are you in the Irish middle class?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

But.. you are.

You're entitled to your tax credits, child benefit, sick pay and jsa/jsb if you need it.
    You're as entitled as everyone else in this country.

there are significant drawbacks in being able to qualify for that though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Three classes aren't enough to divide society.

30k is well below the mean and median earnings, so that is not middle class.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

I used to be working class, until people (the the political parties who support them) starting using that term for people who don't work and have no intention of.

No idea what class to be now!

Geuze wrote: »
    Three classes aren't enough to divide society.

30k is well below the mean and median earnings, so that is not middle class.

Agreed, I pay the higher rate in tax (only just) - and it has taken me 30 years graft to get here.

Apparently I am now "the 1%" and should pay for everything.

Suuuuuure.

• Advertisement

I used to be working class, until people (the the political parties who support them) starting using that term for people who don't work and have no intention of.

If you consider yourself working class, you re working class, ignore others classification of such words, unemployment is actually complex

Apparently I am now "the 1%" and should pay for everything.

If you mean 'the 1%' of the wealthiest, you're probably not, you d more than likely would have to be born into wealth for that to occur, and would probably be paying a relatively smaller amount of tax than others

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    If you mean 'the 1%' of the wealthiest, you're probably not, you d more than likely would have to be born into wealth for that to occur, and would probably be paying a relatively smaller amount of tax than others

No one has asked my dad for a dowry and I don't get paid till Monday and am skint, so I reckon am okay!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

:rolleyes: Sticks finger in the air....

No one has asked my dad for a dowry and I don't get paid till Monday and am skint, so I reckon am okay!!!

You should be proud of your class, and the fact you have worked hard to be where you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Try_harder wrote: »
    Poor squeezed middle! Fiachra mightened get his ski holiday this year!

That’s not the squeezed middle. The squeezed middle doesn’t holiday.

• Advertisement

MayoSalmon wrote:
    Sticks finger in the air....

Ignoring reality is a good approach to life, please do continue....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Yes. But the term middle income has never meant middle class in this country.

It’s an American version of “middle class” we have adopted.

You should be proud of your class, and the fact you have worked hard to be where you are

I am actually, I started off in a council house that was infested with cockroaches (as was most of the town actually).

I worked from 18 and I'm near 49 now. I've never been on the dole - not that there is anything wrong with that - I just joined a temp agency and did whatever was needed.

Finally I have a decent salary and a nice (albeit rented) house.

I am proud of myself - but I have been told not to be!!! I ignore them mostly!

That’s not the squeezed middle. The squeezed middle doesn’t holiday.

What's this "holiday" you talk of ?

Vague memories of Tunisia 12 years ago!

I am proud of myself - but I have been told not to be!!! I ignore them mostly!

Whoever is saying that to you, sound like some ****, fair play

• Advertisement

What's this "holiday" you talk of ?

Vague memories of Tunisia 12 years ago!

Kanta hotel 2006. I was there. A pity its all changed.
    Happy memories also.

Whoever is saying that to you, sound like some ****, fair play

In fairness, you're right - they are!

They are staunch Corbyn/Momentum supporters in the UK and think anyone who gets on in life is a class traitor.

My rented gaff is a bungalow (for the aul fella as he's 80 now) and you'd think i was hanging poor kids from washing lines!

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Kanta hotel 2006. I was there. A pity its all changed.
    Happy memories also.

Lovely place it was - I think after the shootings on the beach and other things, I'd not go there for love nor money.

They are staunch Corbyn/Momentum supporters in the UK and think anyone who gets on in life is a class traitor.

Im a proud lefty, so would have interest in Corbyn, I don't get that feeling from corbyns labour, what makes you think that?

Im a proud lefty, so would have interest in Corbyn, I don't get that feeling from corbyns labour, what makes you think that?

I have a lot of time for JC himself, spoke very well in the last election debates.

But there are some supporters and indeed MPs who really take things too far. The Momentum movement within the party reminds me of the Militant crowd 30 years ago.

But there are some supporters and indeed MPs who really take things too far. The Momentum movement within the party reminds me of the Militant crowd 30 years ago.

UK politics is in a very interesting place, but equally worrying, there's a similar issue occuring across the pond to, we all sit and hope they can pull it together, for everyone's sake

UK politics is in a very interesting place, but equally worrying, there's a similar issue occuring across the pond to, we all sit and hope they can pull it together, for everyone's sake

Agreed. I was briefly in the UK in 1997 for Blair's election win and the atmosphere of solidarity was incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭d'Oracle

No idea what class to be now!

We need new language and probably political theory.
    We insist on using language from the French and Industrial revolutions to describe a system that doesn't exist anymore in Ireland.

The working class , lower middle class and a lot of what you might consider to be the upper middle class is just a scale of earnings expectations and debt access. And in Ireland at least, there isn't really an Aristocracy. That's not the same thing as what Marx was talking about in the 19th century.

d'Oracle wrote: »
    We need new language and probably political theory.
    We insist on using language from the French and Industrial revolutions to describe a system that doesn't exist anymore in Ireland.

The working class , lower middle class (petit bourgeoise) and a lot of what you might consider to be the upper middle class is just a scale of earnings expectations and debt access. And in Ireland at least, there isn't really an Aristocracy. That's not the same thing as what Marx was talking about in the 19th century.

Oh I got called Bourgeois one time!!!

I was at a cricket match. Apparently that's all it takes!! :D

Agreed. I was briefly in the UK in 1997 for Blair's election win and the atmosphere of solidarity was incredible.

But was he truly that good? I'd actually agree with some of the momentum ideologies, things such as austerity simply don't work, this has been well researched now

• Advertisement
Advertisement