Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Entitlement culture and the squeezed middle in Ireland

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057880329/1/#post107217338

^

There’s a lad who has his pension worked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Let’s instead remove all pension entitlements for the public sector in future beyond the state pension and let them contribute to their own private pension.
    Like any employee, you can't retrospectively change terms and conditions, so if you're going to take away an existing contractual entitlement, it's going to cost you. In many cases, public servants accept more modest salaries than they could get elsewhere, given that the overall package, including pension has other compensating benefits. If you want to cut off some of those benefits for existing employees, it is going to cost.

You'll be relieved to hear that the changes made to public service salaries mean around 2013 have made them far less attractive for new entrants. This is one of several limiting factors in recruiting qualified professional staff for many roles.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057880329/1/#post107217338

^

There’s a lad who has his pension worked out.
    Thanks for the reminder, but funnily enough - no, I never got anything worked out on the AVC side. I must revisit that one of these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

People believe those on the dole, etc. are working class. It's an incorrect term - they don't work. They should be called something else. I have no problem calling myself working class - I have a decent enough job, own my own place, drive a car, don't have a common accent etc. Some people might call me middle class, but I'm not!

I think it's an insult to genuine working class people when they get lumped in with those who sponge off benefits and have no intention of ever working. I would categorise that section of society as "welfare class", basically those from rough areas who swan around in their pyjamas in the middle of the day and have never worked a day in their lives.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

Like any employee, you can't retrospectively change terms and conditions, so if you're going to take away an existing contractual entitlement, it's going to cost you. In many cases, public servants accept more modest salaries than they could get elsewhere, given that the overall package, including pension has other compensating benefits. If you want to cut off some of those benefits for existing employees, it is going to cost.

You'll be relieved to hear that the changes made to public service salaries mean around 2013 have made them far less attractive for new entrants. This is one of several limiting factors in recruiting qualified professional staff for many roles.

Thanks for the reminder, but funnily enough - no, I never got anything worked out on the AVC side. I must revisit that one of these days.
    Civil Servants don't have a contract of employment. They can't sue in contract if their pay is reduced or their pension is changed.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Civil Servants don't have a contract of employment. They can't sue in contract if their pay is reduced or their pension is changed.

They have a Conditions of Service letter, signed by the Director of HR, setting out salary, pension and other conditions. What makes you think that has different status to any employment contract?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

They have a Conditions of Service letter, signed by the Director of HR, setting out salary, pension and other conditions. What makes you think that has different status to any employment contract?

Civil Servants are office holders and do not have a contract of employment.
    http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0/7E32B3AC84EEC117802576010034D09A

It was specifically found in the case of Gilheaney v Revenue Commissioners that civil servants cannot sue in contract, they hold office at the will of please of the minister and under Section 17(2) the Minister for Finance is responsible for (i) the terms and conditions of service of civil servants, and may, for the purpose of subsection (1) of this section, make such arrangements as he thinks fit and may cancel or vary those arrangements.

4ensic15 wrote: »
    Civil Servants are office holders and do not have a contract of employment.
    http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/0/7E32B3AC84EEC117802576010034D09A

It was specifically found in the case of Gilheaney v Revenue Commissioners that civil servants cannot sue in contract, they hold office at the will of please of the minister and under Section 17(2) the Minister for Finance is responsible for (i) the terms and conditions of service of civil servants, and may, for the purpose of subsection (1) of this section, make such arrangements as he thinks fit and may cancel or vary those arrangements.

Thanks for the link. Costello's remarks in the Gilheany v Revenue Commissioners are interesting:
    “…it would be wrong to assume that because no contractual
    relationship arises from the appointment of a person as an officer
    in the civil service that no rights and obligations enforceable in a
    court of law exist. It seems to me that when a statute confers a
    power on a minister to grant a benefit to some person and that
    power is exercised it also confers a corresponding right on that
    person to receive the benefit. This means that there is a statutory
    right which the courts will enforce to the benefits contained in the
    terms and conditions of appointment of a civil servant (including,
    for example, those relating to remuneration)

Advertisement