Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advise on selling car (new engine fitted)

• 26-07-2018 4:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advise,i have a 2010 Peugeot 3008 1.6 Diesel, 190k on the clock.It got a new engine and various other bits done to it about 2 years ago (i have paper work of job etc ).im looking to sell it,car is running well,nct no issues,(im going back to a petrol car,im just not doing remotely enough miles).Basically all i want to know is it advisable to mention that the car had a engine job done on it in the add?,even though theres 190k on the clock ,there is a new engine,clutch etc under the hood,would it turn people off or would it be beneficial to mention it?.
    Any advise welcome,thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,311 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Was the engine actually new, or was it refurbished?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭pkvader

the_syco wrote: »
    Was the engine actually new, or was it refurbished?

New,

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

How many miles on the new engine? If it's a lot less than the car then it's a plus I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

In this case it is a plus. Be clear about the overall mileage and mileage since engine change in the ad.
    You say it got a new engine. That must have cost many thousands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's going to be difficult to sell with that mileage on it anyway. The fact it had a brand new engine fitted that actually hasn't done 190k miles is definitely a bonus to a seller. Produce all paperwork and receipts to the interested buyer.

• Advertisement

mickdw wrote: »
    In this case it is a plus. Be clear about the overall mileage and mileage since engine change in the ad.
    You say it got a new engine. That must have cost many thousands.

Yeah total job cost €7k (i know i know),theres about 15k up on the new engine,i dont do big mles at all,it will actually be a good buy for someone.

Thanks for the replys folks,much appreciated.

That's a substantial outlay, might be worth more to you to keep it.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That's a substantial outlay, might be worth more to you to keep it.

The injectors had to be taken out and cleaned a few weeks back, (€700),your man said to me im not doing enough miles for this type of engine.I work 13 kilometres away,live within 2 kilometers of my patents,Parents in law,Schools etc,its getting no real burn.
    Im doing less than 10k a year,all short spins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

pkvader wrote: »
    The injectors had to be taken out and cleaned a few weeks back, (€700),your man said to me im not doing enough miles for this type of engine.I work 13 kilometres away,live within 2 kilometers of my patents,Parents in law,Schools etc,its getting no real burn.
    Im doing less than 10k a year,all short spins.

After spending 7k on it you won't get that back. Can you not just take it for a blast once a week? You know that the car is good and buying another car is always a risk.

Del2005 wrote: »
    After spending 7k on it you won't get that back. Can you not just take it for a blast once a week? You know that the car is good and buying another car is always a risk.

I know that €7k is gone,i just have my mind made up that i need to change,it was my first ever diesel car and will be my last,going back to a petrol,Auris or Corolla,something like that.,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

700 euros to get injectors cleaned. Might start doing it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Cordell

New engine usually means new main lump but old ancillaries (turbo, injectors, EGR, fuel pump, sensors etc), and usually these are the ones giving trouble, and they're still 190k. So, to me at least, new engine doesn't mean much, quite the opposite, I would stay away not knowing what kind of pro or cowboy did that hell of a big job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Out of interest how much you looking to sell it for?

Cordell wrote: »
    New engine usually means new main lump but old ancillaries (turbo, injectors, EGR, fuel pump, sensors etc), and usually these are the ones giving trouble, and they're still 190k. So, to me at least, new engine doesn't mean much, quite the opposite, I would stay away not knowing what kind of pro or cowboy did that hell of a big job.

To be fair, the OP had a brand new engine fitted, has receipts for the work so I'd doubt it's Joe the mechanic from across the road and works from a shed on the side of his house did it. With the figures mentioned I'd say it was a main dealer job.

Cordell wrote: »

It got the works,it was done by a reputable dealer.

racso1975 wrote: »
    Out of interest how much you looking to sell it for?

Im not sure yet,going to be another few weeks before i get the ball rolling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Great stick a link up when ya do

Advertisement