Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you write a shopping list?

• 26-07-2018 7:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭

I am mainly referring to grocery shopping here. It's something I or our household would rarely do. Maybe only at Christmas/Events.
    I'm generally very good to remember what is needed and I don't buy extras because I don't have a list.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

I type one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

well the wife does, usually a big one for Aldi and a small one for Super Value. thankfully she does it in the order I need to pick stuff up as I walk around the shops

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Yes . And in order too . Fruit and Veg Toiletries , Meat , etc in groups together . I also pack in groups and hate when some 14 year old boy packs for me for charity !

I am mainly referring to grocery shopping here. It's something I or our household would rarely do. Maybe only at Christmas/Events.
    I'm generally very good to remember what is needed and I don't buy extras because I don't have a list.
    How can it be an extra or not if you don't have a list? If you see something and decide you need it is that an extra or not?

Yes - unless I am just getting milk and bread I try to write a list. There would be too many random bits to forget as I shop for about five or six days at a time.

Sometimes if I have time I re-write the list to group things together more logically to save time in the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭threetrees

Yes, usually scribble a list on a post it with the intention of sticking it to the trolley while shopping. I often forget the list itself though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Yes indeed but it usually gets left on my bedside table in the scrum of getting out...I try to read the memory of it!i And my main shopping is now ordered by email so that is a list..

Living far from shops adds to the need for a list. I keep meaning to make a kind of universal list of everything I ever need... age affects memory.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Yep. I usually end up soending a fortune and forgetting stuff if I don't.
    I tend to do Tesco online for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes . And in order too . Fruit and Veg Toiletries , Meat , etc in groups together . I also pack in groups and hate when some 14 year old boy packs for me for charity !

I hate those people that pack for you like they put the meat in with the washing powder

EPAndlee wrote: »
    I hate those people that pack for you like they put the meat in with the washing powder

And big jars of gherkins on top of my bread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

You must have great memory, no way I'd remember all the ingredients I need for most of the recipes I cook.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I do. But I leave the list in the car or in the kitchen and end up forgetting half of what I went out for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭threetrees

I'm not at a stage where I need glasses for reading but my mother is. She writes a list without glasses so she can read it in the supermarket without glasses. Reckon that's a great tip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I use a app called Simple Shopping List

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,152 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Absolutely. Otherwise I'd have a trolley of crap I don't need, and I'd be back out again in 2 days for more stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Always.
    Nothing like the fear of driving home from the shop and the memory of a required obscure item pops into your head!

Nnnnoooooooooooo!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Tip for younger men starting off on the long hard road of married life

make a complete balls of doing the main shop and you will never be asked again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Fcukin' A.

First though, I write a meal plan for the week. Then the shopping list.

I split it into the order that I walk around the shop too. Fruit and Veg, followed by meat, followed by dairy, etc.

Love a good list.

I also love making itineraries and to-do lists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I use a Colornote app on my phone. Set up a list of anything we buy (as much in walk order round the shop as possible) and tick them on when it's something needs to be bought, having got it in the shop I tick it off, when all items are ticked off the shopping list title goes from bold to faint text.

• Advertisement

Shopping list on amazon echo, it’s brilliant. Just add stuff by voice to the list as you come across stuff you need and then it pops up in the Alexa app on both our phones so just open the app when shopping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Tip for younger men starting off on the long hard road of married life

make a complete balls of doing the main shop and you will never be asked again

I learnt this when I was a wee lad.. if you become a hindrance to the regiment you will be given an unhonorable discharge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Do you clean yourself with broccoli and wash yourself in lemon juice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Shopping list on amazon echo, it’s brilliant. Just add stuff by voice to the list as you come across stuff you need and then it pops up in the Alexa app on both our phones so just open the app when shopping.

ditto.

until you're in the shop, looking at the phone and wondering what the hell "Tyler" is actually meant to be.

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Yep I meal plan and live in the arse of nowhere so not like I can nip down to Aldi.

I've an app on my phone and I've also got my recipes on my phone so I can double check quantities I need. I generally budget well but the Aisle O' Sh!te often proves to be my downfall on occasion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭finla

Don't you just hate it when they change all the stuff around on the shelves....

Neyite wrote: »
    Yep I meal plan and live in the arse of nowhere so not like I can nip down to Aldi.

I've an app on my phone and I've also got my recipes on my phone so I can double check quantities I need. I generally budget well but the Aisle O' Sh!te often proves to be my downfall on occasion.

Aisle O' Shoite made me laugh ! All placed so you pass it going to the staples !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

I'm intriqued, this could be a real niche market :D

Pogue eile wrote: »
    I'm intriqued, this could be a real niche market :D

It could ! See what a missing comma can conjure up !

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Always.
    Nothing like the fear of driving home from the shop and the memory of a required obscure item pops into your head!

Nnnnoooooooooooo!!

especially when you are in the middle of the ocean!

My first stop in any supermarket is the reduced section... After that I add the other needs...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What's happened to this place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Yup. I use the Wunderlist app and myself and himself can just as whenever we think of it and it’s always fairly up to date. I do hate that it doesn’t organize it neatly into sections though like freezer, fruit and veg. I also pack that way, I get a physical eye twitch when I see himself throwing a bottle of bleach in with fresh bread, a box of eyes and some frozen chicken wings. *twitch*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Yup. I use the Wunderlist app and myself and himself can just as whenever we think of it and it’s always fairly up to date. I do hate that it doesn’t organize it neatly into sections though like freezer, fruit and veg. I also pack that way, I get a physical eye twitch when I see himself throwing a bottle of bleach in with fresh bread, a box of eyes and some frozen chicken wings. *twitch*

twitch is right...although, you could just get a new non-twitchy eye from the box of eyes he brings home

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We do, it's normally a list of the essentials. Then i'd always fill the space left in the trolley with ice cream and treats :)

I plan to get a chalk board for the kitchen, so that when we run out of something, say, tin foil, we jot it on the chalk board and snap a picture before going shopping. So we shouldn't come home from the shop thinking 'boll0x, forgot the f*cking tin foil' 3 weeks in a row :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Yes, I use a handy little app on the phone called ColorNote to carry a couple of lists, one for groceries, another for odds-and-ends like new drain covers that need to be picked up, this sort of thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    We do, it's normally a list of the essentials. Then i'd always fill the space left in the trolley with ice cream and treats :)

I plan to get a chalk board for the kitchen, so that when we run out of something, say, tin foil, we jot it on the chalk board and snap a picture before going shopping. So we shouldn't come home from the shop thinking 'boll0x, forgot the f*cking tin foil' 3 weeks in a row :)

I am (was) a very listy person. Writing things down takes them off my mind. I used to have clutches of them for shopping, work, gardening and for random tasks to do - especially horrible admin stuff the kids still need me to do for them. Then I bought a whiteboard. For the discounted price of 2.50 my life has improved immeasurably. (I still take a list to the shops though :o )

Malayalam wrote: »
    I am (was) a very listy person. Writing things down takes them off my mind. I used to have clutches of them for shopping, work, gardening and for random tasks to do - especially horrible admin stuff the kids still need me to do for them. Then I bought a whiteboard. For the discounted price of 2.50 my life has improved immeasurably. (I still take a list to the shops though :o )

I hear you. I'm an engineer too:

ea1ce1109d50012f2fe500163e41dd5b

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I have a pad on the fridge we write down whatever is needed for the following week or sooner.

I then plan up the weeks dinners in advance so I know what I need everyday and what need for shopping.

Saves money in long run and saves most the waste and clutter in presses and fridge / freezer.

I shop online for groceries which again saves me from buying random ****e I don't need.

If I need anything there and then I just fly down to dunnes but its normally only small stuff.

jimgoose wrote: »
    I hear you. I'm an engineer too:

ea1ce1109d50012f2fe500163e41dd5b

:D

Hehe. :) Over-prepared, eh? Recently I wrote a long email to someone I am going to do a project with working through a list of things to be covered. He wrote me a one-line reply - ''How about we just let it rip?'' Hahaha, that put me in my place (but..nonetheless.. I WILL be prepared. Somebody's got to be. ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

How can it be an extra or not if you don't have a list? If you see something and decide you need it is that an extra or not?

Some people tell they need a list or they'll buy a load of extras.
    This isn't the case for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,853 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

jester77 wrote: »
    You must have great memory, no way I'd remember all the ingredients I need for most of the recipes I cook.

Fairly good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭facehugger99

A kitchen blackboard is great. You can get backboard paint and put one straight on the wall.

Not only is it handy for writing stuff like 'self-raising flour' and 'clingfilm', but you can use to leave passive-aggressive notes for your husband if you're a woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

finla wrote: »
    Don't you just hate it when they change all the stuff around on the shelves....

On-line shopping/click and collect anyone? :P

A kitchen blackboard is great. You can get backboard paint and put one straight on the wall.

Not only is it handy for writing stuff like 'self-raising flour' and 'clingfilm', but you can use to leave passive-aggressive notes for your husband if you're a woman.

Or Kiwi Bloke Love-Letters, e.g. "Git some bladdy bog-roll, Oi've got dag!!". :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Mine:

P7260324.jpg
    I go to town once a week. If that black book isn't in my pocket, I'd be standing in the middle of Main Street, wondering what the hell I was there for :(

Stigura wrote: »
    Mine:

P7260324.jpg
    I go to town once a week. If that black book isn't in my pocket, I'd be standing in the middle of Main Street, wondering what the hell I was there for :(

Black Stuff ??? :D Several times. Intriguing.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We make a list of the stuff we don’t buy every week. We also have to shop together because we both make a balls of it separately. I forget important staple ingredients and my husband buys the most random unneeded stuff to try and get to 100 Euro for the Dunnes shop and save and way over spends then.

I love lists, I have lists and schedules for everything and auto reminders set up for all sorts of stuff and I'm so organized I make myself sick with how smug I am at being so organized and smug. There are no loo roll or milk shortages in my house, oh no. Never happens.

I make lists for groceries and I get everything on the list, but then I go off-piste and bring home all kinds of stuff that looks delicious or useful, but usually isn't. But sometimes is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Stigura

Malayalam wrote: »
    Black Stuff ??? :D Several times. Intriguing.....

Funnily enough; I had a feeling that would happen! :D It's hellishly 'An Aquired Taste'. But, I wouldn't drink tea with anything else in it now ;)

P7260324_2.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement