Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Energy drinks

Options
  • 26-07-2018 7:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi,
    Any recommendations for energy drinks on the road, I was using zipvit but they have stopped making all their powders.
    I have tried Sagan osmo and sis - both tore the stomach out of me.
    Thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Buy a bag of Maltodextrin and make your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Can of Coke (full fat not diet) divided between the 2 bottles and top up with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

https://www.hollandandbarrett.ie/shop/product/precision-engineered-iso-energy-powder-lemon-60006661

Iso energy is my favourite and works wonders . Gives a pretty decent lift with just enough caffeine. Take a scoop before you leave and another in your bottle .
    I usually load up on a few when there’s a deal
    Flavours really nice too

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Lumen wrote: »
    But a bag of Maltodextrin and make your own.

Where would you get that handily?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Just use water and have a heap of jelly babies or similar on standby for the sugar boost.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Where would you get that handily?

https://m.myprotein.ie/carbohydrate/powders.list

A choice of different sugars.

Add caffeine and salt and you have your own gatorade.

In a shop original lucozade is going to be the highest sugar content followed by Coca Cola. Typically sports drinks have lower sugar content to avoid GI distress.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think lucozade has reduced sugar content since the sugar tax.

For normal spins/ sportives I try to stick to eating my energy rather than drinks and gels, but I did try high 5 energy source packs I had lying around in a couple of races without ill effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

C3PO wrote: »
    I much prefer to eat something like a N'akd bar or even Fig rolls!
    GCN Energy bars, but drop the oil/ fat content a bit or they go a bit crumbly in the hot weather!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think lucozade has reduced sugar content since the sugar tax.
    Diabetics everywhere were pissed at this development, it is no longer the perfect cure to low blood sugars :mad:

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote: »
    Diabetics everywhere were pissed at this development, it is no longer the perfect cure to low blood sugars :mad:
    I've friends who are type 1 - that's how I became aware. Only time I ever drank it was when I was sick as a child - you knew you were sick when the cellophane came into the house...

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭devonp

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I've friends who are type 1 - that's how I became aware. Only time I ever drank it was when I was sick as a child - you knew you were sick when the cellophane came into the house...

with the ceramic stopper ??:D

I don't normally use them, just hydration tablets, but I have found Elivar easier on the stomach than the SIS equivalent.

https://eu.elivar.com/?regionselector=EU

I'm over 35 by the way, so apologies if you're not :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭furyen

Aegir wrote: »
    I don't normally use them, just hydration tablets, but I have found Elivar easier on the stomach than the SIS equivalent.

https://eu.elivar.com/?regionselector=EU

I'm over 35 by the way, so apologies if you're not :D
    You are grand, I'm in my 40s

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I find Hi 5 4:1 very good on a long spin, but usually wouldn't bother unless I was going to be out for more than a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Doc07

I’ve wasted literally hours and hours researching energy drinks and supplements in general.
    Most are sh&t. I usually stick to water and jellies although I tried the diluted coke as suggested by WA last week and it’s not bad!

My 2cents;
    For very long spins /sportive etc Hi-5 ok if you like it.
    Lidl or Aldi version of lucozade sport split between 2 bottles was my staple for long(150-200plus) spins. Cheap as chips, only 40c per 500ml bottle.

If you want a good caffeine hit, Amino Energy orange flavor tastes ok in plain water and works out about 1-2€ per bottle depending on how many scoops. It’s sold in supplement:bodybuilding shops.
    I wouldn’t vouch for any other energy products/pre/workout/bodybuilding supps as they are poorly regulated

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I’ve been using the SIS Go Hydro (cola/caffeine flavour) for the last few years. One tab in a 750ml bottle for anything up to 50km. Anything longer and I just buy a bottle of water along the way somewhere or if energy levels are low, a 750cl bottle of Boost usually does the trick.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Also, look up Anzac cookies. Very easy to make. Or no bake peanut butter and oats bars. Even easier again

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Just stick to water myself. If the weather is really hot and I'm out for a long one I'll use a High 5 Zero electrolyte & magnesium tab when i get home to avoid cramps afterwards. Dioralyte does the same job.

Most of the stuff on the market is over priced rubbish and can be rough on the stomach.

Most of the stuff on the market is over priced rubbish and can be rough on the stomach.
    I stopped buying the electrolyte tabs, and got electrolyte powder from myprotein. Not sure they still do it, but was about €8 for over 300 doses - cost of 40 tablets?

I add a mini scoop to the bottle and a small bit of cordial to mask the salty taste you get if it's just with pure water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,786 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I've been using this for a while now and have found it excellent stuff, likely full of all kinds of "wondefrful stuff".

https://www.iafstore.com/eu/named-sport/hydrafit-bottle-codp30268

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭py

Not tried this, it appeared in my youtube stream yesterday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

py wrote: »
    Not tried this, it appeared in my youtube stream yesterday.

Don't be drinking unknown yellow liquids that appear in your stream :P

Advertisement