Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

maynooth or naas?

Options
  • 26-07-2018 8:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Im just looking for opinions on which town people think has more to offer a young family.

We are looking at buying in one of these two towns, get a good vibe from both and know a couple of people in maynooth that love the place.

So, forgetting transport links to Dublin, which town you reckon has best facilities, more to do, nice bar / restaurants and the nicer place to live?

Im not looking to start a slagging match, id just like to know if people have moved to either place and regretted it or loved it.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Both offer similar levels of facilities and are similar distance from Dublin - I think it will be down to personal choice to suit your own circumstances as there's little between both towns in terms of lifestyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

I've lived extensively in both. As a stand alone town naas would probably just about shade it for me. But it depends what you want. Maynooth is much more connected to Dublin which may not be important now but may well be if the kids decide to go to college in the city. The walks and outdoor facilities are better in maynooth, but the bars and restaurants (in my opinion) are better in naas with more variety.

It would also very much depend on where you buy in naas. Pipers hill or bellingsfield are miles out of the town, a solid half hour walk at a brisk pace. Where are some of the older estates say roselawn are a 2 minute stroll to the town and are much better placed.

In short, it depends. If you'd like to give more details, even via pm, I might be able to help you out more if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭The Mulk

I've never heard anyone regret moving to either place (I know a good few people in both).
    Just check out school waiting lists for primary and secondary, as these can be an issue.

You'll also get more house for your money in Naas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Thanks lads,

Just also wondering about any anti social behaviour element, is it maybe worse in maynooth with all the students?

Also , if the wife had to be in dublin and had to drive would is the n7 that bad? How much travel time are the new works supposed to be knocking off?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Thanks lads,

Just also wondering about any anti social behaviour element, is it maybe worse in maynooth with all the students?

Also , if the wife had to be in dublin and had to drive would is the n7 that bad? How much travel time are the new works supposed to be knocking off?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Standalone Naas I would say... It has a cinema, public swimming pool and no students. House prices are a little cheaper too.

If getting to Dublin isn't a concern, Naas all the way. If commuting is needed, Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 washburn73

Maynooth is smaller but, in my opinion, has a better 'village feel' (while it has grown significantly, it has retained alot of its charm), combined with a superb nightlife and better transport links. It is more expensive, partly due to the university and partly because of its closer proximity to Dublin.

While I like Naas, I prefer Maynooth on a number of different levels - in my view, the best mid-sized town in Leinster.

Good luck with your decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

washburn73 wrote: »
    Maynooth is smaller but, in my opinion, has a better 'village feel' (while it has grown significantly, it has retained alot of its charm), combined with a superb nightlife and better transport links. It is more expensive, partly due to the university and partly because of its closer proximity to Dublin.

While I like Naas, I prefer Maynooth on a number of different levels - in my view, the best mid-sized town in Leinster.

Good luck with your decision.

Maynooth is losing its 'village feel' at a fast pace. More estates being built without vast improvements in supporting infrastructure. Plans to build extensive student accommodation beside the town centre will add to the chaos. And as for superb nightlife, not too sure what you mean by that, it has a handful of pubs and a poor enough nightclub. It has alot of restaurants but probably a greater variety in Naas. Naas would be a superior town, the only thing lacking is public transport access to Dublin with Maynooth having better public transport links to the city centre especially at weekends and at night.

Advertisement