Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with brakes

Options
  • 26-07-2018 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

Morning Folks,

Having an issue with my rear brakes, standard Shimano Sora i think.

Anyway problem i am having is the brakes not releasing after I apply them.

Pull the brakes, calipers move as expected and brake pads make contact with the rim. No issues there
    But when i release the brakes the calipers don't move back out and the pads stick to the rim.

Any ideas what i did to cause that.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Couple of possibilities:

1. The pads are slightly off the rim, then a little lip get worn into the pad over time. When you pull the caliper hard, this lip gets caught under the edge of the rim and holds on.

2. The caliper is flithy. Happens on rear brakes that they just get gunged up with crap from the wheel. They need to be stripped down, cleaned up and regreased.

3. Your brake cable is corroded/dirty. If it's not been replaced in a while, the cable can get caught in the inner and prevent the caliper from snapping back.

Use your hand to close the caliper and see how it responds. If it doesn't snap back, but gets stuck or comes back slowly, then you probably have scenario 2. If it does snap back, then hold the caliper closed and pull the brake lever. It should be loose and floppy: If you feel resistance you have scenario 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

seamus wrote: »
    Couple of possibilities:

1. The pads are slightly off the rim, then a little lip get worn into the pad over time. When you pull the caliper hard, this lip gets caught under the edge of the rim and holds on.

2. The caliper is flithy. Happens on rear brakes that they just get gunged up with crap from the wheel. They need to be stripped down, cleaned up and regreased.

3. Your brake cable is corroded/dirty. If it's not been replaced in a while, the cable can get caught in the inner and prevent the caliper from snapping back.

Use your hand to close the caliper and see how it responds. If it doesn't snap back, but gets stuck or comes back slowly, then you probably have scenario 2. If it does snap back, then hold the caliper closed and pull the brake lever. It should be loose and floppy: If you feel resistance you have scenario 3.

Cheers Seamus

Thinking its scenario 2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

Couple of possibilities:

I do cut off the lip with a sharp blade (e.g Stanley knife) where this happens and re-adjust the block up a little higher.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Couple of possibilities:

You should be able to wash it in place. Start with hot water - pour it over while working the caliper. Continue with WD40 or equivalent to remove the water. Finally oil all of the pivot points.

Take care not to get oil or WD40 on pads or rims.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

got it sorted, was indeed a build up of crap on the calipers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement