Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain lock?

Options
  • 26-07-2018 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi folks, what chain do you recommend as a decent deterant?
    There’s tons of info online but I’ve also seen the videos of the big name brand chains being cut in 25 seconds!! :-0

I’ll be parking in Work in an underground car park so need one long enough to go around a pillar.
    I’ll be getting a disc lock alarm also but the carpark doesn’t have many people going through except at the beginning & end of the day.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Get the best you can afford. Prices of chains are not cheap. Look at Allmax - contact them directly. They ship to Ireland.
    Is there cameras in the car park - try park near that so security have one eye on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Get a bike cover too..

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

Thanks guys!

Also whats the best way to carry a heavy chain? The Almax I’m looking at would be 10kg minimum.

Topbox or tail bag?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,982 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Sparky85 wrote: »
    Also whats the best way to carry a heavy chain? The Almax I’m looking at would be 10kg minimum.

Topbox or tail bag?

Probably top box. It will shift around so a tail pack might not contain it well enough. Last thing you want is it coming loose and falling off the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have an almax. If your bike is secure at home, and work looks a bit dodgy, just leave the chain at work all the time. If both are a bit dodgy, get 2 chains. You can carry them, I've a 2m long one and put it in my top box or side box. They are heavy and you notice the weight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,981 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Where is the work car park.

Mines an underground too. But the disk lock is enough on it tbh depends on the location.

I've mine in the underground years and not once any trouble.

Wouldn't park it in my old apartment within chain though

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Sparky85

listermint wrote: »
    Where is the work car park.

Mines an underground too. But the disk lock is enough on it tbh depends on the location.

It’s in Dublin 2. Not a bad area really but it’s my first bike so just want to be proactive about deterring any opportunist who takes a liking to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My parking space is in an underground in Dublin 2, too, but there's on-site security during office hours (and my parking space is close to their office) and a security gate that closes after hours. I've left the bike in there overnight two or three times in the last fifteen years :) so not totally comfortable with that. My bike is no longer financially or cosmetically desirable though...

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭dbas

My parking space is in an underground in Dublin 2, too, but there's on-site security during office hours (and my parking space is close to their office) and a security gate that closes after hours. I've left the bike in there overnight two or three times in the last fifteen years :) so not totally comfortable with that. My bike is no longer financially or cosmetically desirable though...

This is my lock. No issues so far and it goes under the seat of my fazer 600
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kryptonite-Fahgettaboudit-999492-Bicycle-Chain/dp/B001SMUB7G/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1532732342&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Kryptonite%2BNew%2BYork%2BFahgettaboudit%2BChain%2Band%2BPadlock&th=1&psc=1

Advertisement