Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice

Options
  • 26-07-2018 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi bit of a long shot I know but a friend of mines old hard drive went belly up
    Tried it in an external caddy ( to rescue the data) but to no avail ( think the circuit board is frizzed)
    Looking to see if anyone would know where I could even try get a replacement board for
    Barracuda 7200.7 120 Gig
    Model ST3120022A

Haven't got the money to bring it to Critical Data services or the like
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Garry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Hi bit of a long shot I know but a friend of mines old hard drive went belly up
    Tried it in an external caddy ( to rescue the data) but to no avail ( think the circuit board is frizzed)
    Looking to see if anyone would know where I could even try get a replacement board for
    Barracuda 7200.7 120 Gig
    Model ST3120022A

Haven't got the money to bring it to Critical Data services or the like
    Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    Garry
    It's dead.
    You're unlikely to fix it.
    Accept and have a backup in future.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/a-word-of-warning-on-hard-disk-recovery-by-swapping-logic-boards/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

As above. If it is worth enough to your friend, they can send it off to data retrieval (not guaranteed to work either). Nowadays you really don't have an excuse for losing documents/photos thanks to onedrive, google drive/photos, dropbox, etc. Everything else are usually programs that can be reinstalled.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Sticking it in a zip-lock in the freezer has worked for me in the past, as mentioned in the linked article above, not going to be able to dump the whole HD but it might give you enough time to rescue anything precious like a Dissertation or some Family pics.

Advertisement