Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you mostly use cash or card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

murpho999 wrote: »
    That will have to change though as it becomes more popular.

Also, I hate when places want to tap for you. Show the customer the machine and let the customer tap. Card should not leave customers hand.

So many places get this wrong with card machines hidden behind the counter.

Yeah this happened me recently when I ordered something from a fast food joint. Wasn't handed a receipt so didn't find out how much it cost until a few days later when reviewing my account. Like an eejit I produced my card before being told how much it would be.

Partly my fault but I expected a receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Bitcoin
    Pah to you and yer cards and cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Mostly cash
    Card + Android Pay for me. Never carry cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

This post has been deleted.

Minimum spend is contrary to the contract terms.

Mastercard and Visa – the two main card types used in Ireland – have sets of rules for retailers who accept their cards.  Both of their rules state that setting a minimum transaction amount is not allowed in the EU.

You can even report it to Mastercard online: https://www.mastercard.us/en-us/consumers/get-support/report-problem-shopping.html[/quote]

Is the minimum spend removal a new thing? so many grocery stores around home had this but I think it's more relaxed now. Was annoying at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Wheety wrote: »
    Change bank or get a Revolut card.

Cheers for that. I’m after signing up with Revolut. Is it as good as it seems??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Equal mixture of cash / card / phone pay
    Cash wherever i can.
    Beware the subtle enforcement from banks/governments to go cashless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

Mostly cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I recently started using card alot but it would mostly still be cash. I often use the two and pay feature. Otherwise, I'll just pay cash as toying my pin in is not as convenient as two and pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mostly cash
    retalivity wrote: »
    Cash wherever i can.

What is the problem? There is no advantage to cash over card/phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Wheety wrote: »
    Change bank or get a Revolut card.

yeah what's the craic with them

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I just pay with my good looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

What's the story with pubs refusing to take card?

Grogans for one. Cash only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

Mostly cash
    I use card for most things. I like to keep maybe €20 on me just in case somewhere doesn't take card, but that does me months. I use revolut for everything since I'm notified right away of any payment at all. I just load it up with a certain amount of money every month and work away on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

What sort of phone would you need to use these digital wallets or whatever they are, or this Revolut thing? Do you have to have a top of the range model or will something basic like a Samsung J5 do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I work in IT and Finance. From another thread -

At a high level, everything you buy is tracked, classified and used & shared among many different departments in banks, financial institutions, affiliated companies and public organisations. GDPR should help but legislation is well behind what is actually happening. I have nothing to hide but i still dont like the fact that by the end of today, X company's across the world know i bought a coffee and croissant for breakfast and it will be used in targeted ads, aggregation, demographic statistics etc.

Thats before you get to things like network security and system failures - something as simple as no electricity - no money is still scarily possible.

Then you have behemoths like apple, google, amazon with their pay platforms. These companies already know so much about everyone, giving them financial history to feed into everything else is dangerous imo.

• Advertisement

What sort of phone would you need to use these digital wallets or whatever they are, or this Revolut thing? Do you have to have a top of the range model or will something basic like a Samsung J5 do?

If it's got NFC in the settings where you'd find Bluetooth etc then you are good to go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Mostly cash
    What's the story with pubs refusing to take card?

Grogans for one. Cash only.

Probably don't want to pay the merchant fee for card transactions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Steve F wrote: »
    If it's got NFC in the settings where you'd find Bluetooth etc then you are good to go

Really? My current phone has NFC listed there but even the normal AIB app no longer works. The Leap Top Up app says not compatible too. I'm sceptical that simply having NFC is enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Mostly cash
    Ever since my first Laser card, I’ve used card payments as much as possible. Others mileage may vary, but I noticed straight away that I spent less day-to-day by paying by card. As a student, I’d have my shopping list. I’d stick to it very strictly and then pay the exact amount by card. If I took out money, the remainder would just get spent on nonsense. Card all the way, which means I find myself occasionally nonplussed when I happen upon an establishment that doesn’t accept card payment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Mostly cash
    Card for everything except booze in a bar.

• Advertisement

Well there is if you don't want the bank seeing where you spend your money. If I used card in the pub my bank statement would be pages and pages of transactions in pubs every month and I'd rather keep that off my bank statements (and it would be annoying having so many transactions to go through when reviewing your statement too). Same for having a few bets I lodge cash in my online account rather than transfer it so my bank statements are nice and clean.

As a general rule I prefer using cash myself but card is handy for food shopping, diesel etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Mostly cash
    I use my phone mostly via Google pay it's great not having to remember your wallet or carrying cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What about you?

Do you mostly use card or cash?
    Not sure, to be honest. I’ll have to ask my staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Cash is filthy and gross.

Near field communication where there is no physical contact is far more hygienic.

Hmmm... if you seen a dirty €50 on the ground, would you walk by it. You're a bit precious.

Cash is King.

No Black markets without filthy lucre.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Cash wherever i can.

This +1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Must be terrible for buskers and those mad kids packing yer bags for charity in the supermarket. Few people have coins on them nowadays.

I use tap and pay or DC all the time, with a spare twenty on board just in case. LEAP card has auto top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Mostly cash
    Bracken81 wrote: »
    Cash is king and always will be
    Living a cashless life is a very dangerous thing, but hey there's no accounting for stupidity

Whats that you want a mortgage?
    Please explain this €3 charge in the auld Jellies shop everyday, €5 on coffees, oh and i see you like gambling too :):)

If you ability to qualify for a mortgage is dependent on such small sums, you really can't afford a mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Mostly cash
    If I use cash I end up wasting it. Whatever I don't spend from the ATM ends up getting wasted on energy drinks. I use the coins in the self checkout and finish the transaction with card. With card I make 10c per transaction up to €5 each month so it's a no brainer.

With AIB I was paying €200 on bank fees for using cash and card, with Permanent TSB not only so I cover the monthly fee but I'll actually make a Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do you mostly use card or cash?

Yes.

Very occasionally a cheque.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,146 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Largely cash, a cashless society isn't a particularly good thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dasdog

Cash wherever i can.

Indeed, the nudging effect. The Swedes embrace it and the Swiss are resistant. I'll side with the latter.

dasdog wrote: »
    Indeed, the nudging effect. The Swedes embrace it and the Swiss are resistant. I'll side with the latter.

Not just Banks...we are nudged in all aspects of our lives sadly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Won't be long until we are all chipped when we are born, be great eliminate the need for bank cards, passports, we will just scan our hand which will have the chip.

mariaalice wrote: »
    Won't be long until we are all chipped when we are born, be great eliminate the need for bank cards, passports, we will just scan our hand which will have the chip.

but is this dangerous for us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Mostly cash
    sugarman wrote: »
    Tend to use cash for every day items under a tenner and card for everything else. Few smaller places I shop still dont accept card.

That’s nuts actually. The cost is (max) 0.1% of the transaction. It’s more costly to deposit coins.

mariaalice wrote: »

Wasn't there reports of some Microsoft employees agreeing to trial having a chip implanted for use within the company for payment in canteens etc?
    It's already began :eek:

Steve F wrote: »
    Wasn't there reports of some Microsoft employees agreeing to trial having a chip implanted for use within the company for payment in canteens etc?
    It's already began :eek:

i think a few organisations have already started trials, i do recall a report on bbc's click recently on this matter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Aceandstuff

I mostly use cash. It was different for the last four years because I had my student account, but I'll be back to the same old fees when it goes out of date.... IF it goes out of date. ;)

Strangely enough, if anyone owes me money, they usually get it to me through PayPal. (If I had to guess, they're avoiding me IRL because they owe me money in the first place.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,885 ✭✭✭ozmo

swingking wrote: »
    Does anyone feel awkward using a card for a 2 euro transaction ?

Better than getting 18 euros change from that note you just got from the atm.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

That’s nuts actually. The cost is (max) 0.1% of the transaction. It’s more costly to deposit coins.

I don’t know if it is the case but there was a small shop owner in another thread recently and he said the cost is significant and he would make no profit on small transactions if card was used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mostly cash
    I don’t know if it is the case but there was a small shop owner in another thread recently and he said the cost is significant and he would make no profit on small transactions if card was used.

You might not make a profit this time, but if you don't take card then you most likely won't have that customer returning to buy more next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

You're entitled to your opinion.

I don't quite understand what you meant by the bit in bold.

Mostly cash
    I work in IT and Finance. From another thread -

At a high level, everything you buy is tracked, classified and used & shared among many different departments in banks, financial institutions, affiliated companies and public organisations. GDPR should help but legislation is well behind what is actually happening. I have nothing to hide but i still dont like the fact that by the end of today, X company's across the world know i bought a coffee and croissant for breakfast and it will be used in targeted ads, aggregation, demographic statistics etc.

Thats before you get to things like network security and system failures - something as simple as no electricity - no money is still scarily possible.

Then you have behemoths like apple, google, amazon with their pay platforms. These companies already know so much about everyone, giving them financial history to feed into everything else is dangerous imo.

This all too much "Tin Foil Hat Stuff" for me.

I really don't care if a bank knows what I bought (which they don't, only where).
    My life is too mundane for that and I enjoy the convenience of the card and Apple Pay.

Really, what are people afraid off.

murpho999 wrote:
    Really, what are people afraid off.

It ll be interesting to see how financial institutions try lock down our access to our money in future economic crisis, with the potential of bank bail ins being increased since the last one, I'd imagine this could be the thing that has people worried

Mostly cash
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    It ll be interesting to see how financial institutions try lock down our access to our money in future economic crisis, with the potential of bank bail ins being increased since the last one, I'd imagine this could be the thing that has people worried

That situation is not affected by people using phones or cards.

Money in banks were less accessible in the days before ATMs.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote:
    That situation is not affected by people using phones or cards.

Disagree there, having a more cashless society makes it easier for financial institutions to effectively take control of our access to our money, this was well illustrated during the previous banking crisis, particularly in countries such as Greece and Cyprus

Mostly cash
    Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Disagree there, having a more cashless society makes it easier for financial institutions to effectively take control of our access to our money, this was well illustrated during the previous banking crisis, particularly in countries such as Greece and Cyprus

Most people keep their money in the bank and they banks control how we access it at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Mostly cash
    Card/Contactless. Rarely use cash.

Today I paid 50c for an apple using contactless. No regrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭appledrop

Mostly cash
    Card majority of time + do use contactless but still use cash at times aswell.

However recently one if my cards got hacked + it was a wake up call on how we are too reliant on them. Takes nearly a week for new card + lot of hassle. Whats more worrying is no idea how it was hacked.

murpho999 wrote:
    Most people keep their money in the bank and they banks control how we access it at all times.

Is it a good idea though to have a banking system that's largely undemocratically controlled, that potentially has the power to potentially prevent depositors gaining access to their money, particularly during serious economic crisis? By having a largely cashless society, the potential for this to occur increases.

• Advertisement
Advertisement