Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you mostly use cash or card?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Mostly cash
    ronnie085 wrote: »
    Mostly cash, the less banks know what you spend your hard earned money on the better, worse again apple and the likes, really can't understand why you would let them track what your buying

Apple say they don’t collect that info.

If you really don’t want to be tracked never buy online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,346 ✭✭✭markpb

Mostly cash
    Mike Hoch wrote: »
    The use of card daily baffles me. It takes days to appear on your bank records, it clutters them with dozens of small purchases, you drive yourself mad wondering why there's a 40 euro charge you dont recall making.

If you're driven mad wondering where your €40 went to, how do you survive when you pay cash and have no record at all?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 173 ✭✭Mike Hoch

markpb wrote: »
    If you're driven mad wondering where your €40 went to, how do you survive when you pay cash and have no record at all?

Because if I take out 150 quid I can see where it's going.

If I look at a mountain of charges and see 43.27 from 2 weeks ago attributed to C-LOCAL you start wondering whether you were skimmed. I'd be half inclined to use the card if there wasn't such a "wtf is that" sense about most of the names beside charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

When a lady is serving at the counter and she asks if I want to tap it, I giggle inside.

Mr.S wrote: »
    The time it takes to appear on your account varies by bank, but mine is instant, as soon as it's auth'd in the shop, it will appear.

I've paid for stuff on a Thursday before and it shows on the following Tuesday, No thanks.

That's my bank. I've an Avantcard credit card, their website is utter cat for logging into.

Would you not be harder pressed remembering where the €40 cash went?

Out of pocket out of mind! Whereas a payment two weeks ago to some vaguely named business just seems odd.

In my head, it's more of a hassle to find an ATM, take out 20/50/100euro in cash and then have to deal with change.

"I'll just tap it"

"We need to take PIN if it's over 30"

"Fair enough * inserts* it's not showing anything"

"Just push it in a bit further (ooh matron"

This is the type of rubbish I have to put up with on the rare occasions I have to use one. This is the type of 2 minute transaction I find myself behind in the shops daily while I saunter up afterwards and conclude my transaction within 30 seconds. It's the 21st century equivalent of being stuck in line behind an old dear with her loose change and expired coupons. Cash all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Mostly cash
    Is that a fixed cost?

No, it depends on your volume. The very large retailer will pay an extra 0.1%, mid size about and extra 0.25% and the small retailer about 0.5%

Companies in the market would be Elavon, First Data, World pay, barclaycard and others

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

swingking wrote: »
    Does anyone feel awkward using a card for a 2 euro transaction ?

please tell me your not one of these i see them in busy shops +garages paying for a can of coke or a coffee,takes them ages holding up the whole shop, who do they think their trying to impress.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Because if I take out 150 quid I can see where it's going.

If I look at a mountain of charges and see 43.27 from 2 weeks ago attributed to C-LOCAL you start wondering whether you were skimmed. I'd be half inclined to use the card if there wasn't such a "wtf is that" sense about most of the names beside charges.

That makes no sense.

Mostly cash
    Out of pocket out of mind! Whereas a payment two weeks ago to some vaguely named business just seems odd.

This is the type of rubbish I have to put up with on the rare occasions I have to use one. This is the type of 2 minute transaction I find myself behind in the shops daily while I saunter up afterwards and conclude my transaction within 30 seconds. It's the 21st century equivalent of being stuck in line behind an old dear with her loose change and expired coupons. Cash all the way.

I think maybe it's just you :-p

If I look through my card history, I've used my card at least 30 times in the last two weeks. All of transactions are clearly titled: Centra, Romayos, New Look, Mango Tree, etc. Even if there was a doubt over them, I can see the address for all of them. The only one in the last month that I couldn't easily identify was the vaguely identified Energy Supply but it wasn't a card transaction, it was a Bord Gais refund and there's so little money coming into my bank account that it didn't take long to figure it out. I've had to ring the bank exactly once in five years to identify a transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Equal mixture of cash / card / phone pay
    I find it’s better to take out a certain amount of cash and just use that, that way less chance of just blowing money on something you don’t need. Having said that, sometimes the card is just handier.

• Advertisement

markpb wrote: »
    I think maybe it's just you :-p

If I look through my card history, I've used my card at least 30 times in the last two weeks. All of transactions are clearly titled: Centra, Romayos, New Look, Mango Tree, etc. Even if there was a doubt over them, I can see the address for all of them. The only one in the last month that I couldn't easily identify was the vaguely identified Energy Supply but it wasn't a card transaction, it was a Bord Gais refund and there's so little money coming into my bank account that it didn't take long to figure it out. I've had to ring the bank exactly once in five years to identify a transaction.

What can I say. I'm old school. If Ryanair had an outlet in town where you could get flights at the same price I'd far sooner go in to get change from my 50 quid note than booking it online. It's simply easier face to face than searching yourself, getting your wallet, typing 16 digits, potentially being asked for the VISA verified password you last used 6 months ago. Modern companys have convinced us that doing their legwork is to our advantage.

Just Eat is about the only online ordering I prefer, namely because I don't want the staff misunderstanding my order by phone.

And I'll pay the delivery man cash and all :)

Mostly cash
    It's simply easier face to face than searching yourself, getting your wallet, typing 16 digits, potentially being asked for the VISA verified password you last used 6 months ago. Modern companys have convinced us that doing their legwork is to our advantage.

Paying online is definitely a pain, it's nowhere near as convenient as using the card in a shop! I think Apple and Google Pay will help with that if they take off. You just click on the button, tap your fingerprint and it's done. No need to enter your card number, expiry date, CVV or billing/shipping address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Mostly cash
    Card with cash now only for parking meters and cartons of milk really. Which is a huge change for me with the space of two or three years.

Mostly cash
    Card with cash now only for parking meters and cartons of milk really. Which is a huge change for me with the space of two or three years.

Parking meters!? What about ParkByText (for private car parks and Luas), ParkingTag (for street parking) and APCOA for Irish Rail car parks. I can't think of a bigger pain than parking meters.

Mostly cash
    So you're a Dub then? :D I only need paid parking every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Mostly cash
    I've paid for stuff on a Thursday before and it shows on the following Tuesday, No thanks.

That's my bank. I've an Avantcard credit card, their website is utter cat for logging into.

"I'll just tap it"

"We need to take PIN if it's over 30"

"Fair enough * inserts* it's not showing anything"

"Just push it in a bit further (ooh matron"

How hard is it to remember that you have to tap after 30€? So get ready.

Tapping is faster than cash, particularly for those who are counting out exact change.

Mostly cash
    Ah yes the gold and copper brigade, nearly always an old person who probably has a dozen jars full of small change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Cash mainly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mostly cash
    I'd probably use my debit card 6 times a year, if that, only when I've been caught short with no cash. I despise using them.

I'd use the credit card for either emergency pre payday stuff (car repairs and the like) or to keep me tided over if I run out of current acc cash before payday.

The use of card daily baffles me. It takes days to appear on your bank records, it clutters them with dozens of small purchases, you drive yourself mad wondering why there's a 40 euro charge you dont recall making.

Not to mention the unreliability. A few weeks back I'd to kill some time after work before an appointment I had in the evening, so I said I'd stall it to a boozer and watch Senegal vs Poland in the WC with three or so pints. Being the day before pay day it would be going on the credit card. Paid up, took my seat, and a good 3 or 4 minutes later and mid match I'm interrupted by the barman with some rejection slip in his hand, asking me to hand him the card to try again.

Is this really the type of hassle people want to live with going forward?

Why are you so worried about your bank records?

Either way, you should be able to see all transactions in your pending transactions straight away.
    Also, who worries about clutter on their bank statement?

Also, if you were to more modern and use your phone for payment with Apple/Google/Samsung pay you would have a record of your payments on your phone straight away to view at any time.

Cash does not do this in anyway, is less secure.

It really is the future and why people would be against it is beyond me.

I suppose years ago people were against cash when it came out and insisted on paying for their beer with a sheep or something but eventually they relent.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Contactless most of the time, except in busy pubs or small corner shops. Have Leap card for bus/luas so don't need cash for those either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Ginger83

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are you so worried about your bank records?

Either way, you should be able to see all transactions in your pending transactions straight away.
    Also, who worries about clutter on their bank statement?

Also, if you were to more modern and use your phone for payment with Apple/Google/Samsung pay you would have a record of your payments on your phone straight away to view at any time.

Cash does not do this in anyway, is less secure.

It really is the future and why people would be against it is beyond me.

I suppose years ago people were against cash when it came out and insisted on paying for their beer with a sheep or something but eventually they relent.

I use 99.9% cash.

Numerous times i've been left red faced having got fuel or shopping only for a terminal not to be working.

I think cards are the greatest p***ks of yolks. You can't beat the readies.

Oh and i've a Nokia 6230i lol

Mostly cash
    decky1 wrote: »
    please tell me your not one of these i see them in busy shops +garages paying for a can of coke or a coffee,takes them ages holding up the whole shop, who do they think their trying to impress.:mad:

Contactless payment is quicker than cash especially if people are paying with change etc.

Mostly cash
    Ginger83 wrote: »
    I use 99.9% cash.

Numerous times i've been left red faced having got fuel or shopping only for a terminal not to be working.

I would use cards 80% roughly and I would say I've never had a terminal let me down.

Even so if the terminal is not working why would you be left red faced?

It's not your fault and it's a problem for the retailer that they would have to solve.

Either way, I don't really believe you've had the problem that often if you only use cards for 0.1% of your payments.

I would use cards 80% roughly and I would say I've never had a terminal let me down.

Even so if the terminal is not working why would you be left red faced?

It's not your fault and it's a problem for the retailer that they would have to solve.

Either way, I don't really believe you've had the problem that often if you only use cards for 0.1% of your payments.

We live in a rural village with 1 garage. If the phoneline goes down both atm and terminal are down. Maybe you're up in the big smoke :)

Caught out in lidl, pennies and local butcher before too so i always have cash. Piece of mind.

Mostly cash
    We live in a rural village with 1 garage. If the phoneline goes down both atm and terminal are down. Maybe you're up in the big smoke :)

Caught out in lidl, pennies and local butcher before too so i always have cash. Piece of mind.

You must be the most unfortunate payer in the world.

When does a phone line go down?:rolleyes:

You must be the most unfortunate payer in the world.

When does a phone line go down?:rolleyes:

Possibly.

Ahem...

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eircom-Fault-Levels-Remain-High/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭ozmo

worded wrote: »
    Why do retailers say there is a minimum spend? Because they are getting shafted by the credit card companies ?

Interesting - just checked and unfortunately doesn't seem to be law against mininum spend. Ive had to buy stupid novelty biros and binning them there and then because of this rule in a Spar. Wasteful making you buy stuff you dont need.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/minimum-spend-debit-cards-allowed.html

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Card mostly.

Easier to manage money and you're not carrying a whole heap of change around with you....coinage I believe it's called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,052 ✭✭✭appledrop

Mostly cash
    Neames wrote: »
    Card mostly.

Easier to manage money and you're not carrying a whole heap of change around with you....coinage I believe it's called.

Is that you Tony? I hope you got your new leap card;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Certainly card is more compatible with a slim fitting Hugo Boss suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Neames

Or even a hand fitted Hugo Boss suit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Mostly cash

Most contactless terminals run over GSM. I can even pay for my pizza with contactless right at my front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Card. It's quicker and simpler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Mostly cash
    I rarely ever carry cash anymore but keep €20 note in the car for the rare time I encounter a shop that doesn’t take cards (yes they still do exist)

jester77 wrote: »
    Most contactless terminals run over GSM. I can even pay for my pizza with contactless right at my front door.

That sounds extremely handy, i can see the benefit of that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mostly cash
    ozmo wrote: »
    Interesting - just checked and unfortunately doesn't seem to be law against mininum spend. Ive had to buy stupid novelty biros and binning them there and then because of this rule in a Spar. Wasteful making you buy stuff you dont need.

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/minimum-spend-debit-cards-allowed.html
    No legislation, no, but the card companies have their own terms and conditions that prohibit participating retailers from applying a minimum spend, so if they do they're in breach of those conditions and could have their service withdrawn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Myself and my wife take out a certain amount of cash each week to run the house, shopping, diesel, after school activities etc. and everything is paid in cash. We stick to it as far as possible.

We used to use card for everything before and found that there was weeks we’d spend an absolute fortune for seemingly no good reason. Herself in particular is a devil for the retail therapy and casual spending and I think it’s a lot easier to lose the run of yourself with a card.

mickeyk wrote: »
    Myself and my wife take out a certain amount of cash each week to run the house, shopping, diesel, after school activities etc. and everything is paid in cash. We stick to it as far as possible.

We used to use card for everything before and found that there was weeks we’d spend an absolute fortune for seemingly no good reason. Herself in particular is a devil for the retail therapy and casual spending and I think it’s a lot easier to lose the run of yourself with a card.

Its the start of alot of gambling problems also. Its figures on a screen v hard cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Your mom only excepts cash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Card online. Cash in person. Years of bartending have killed card payments for me. It is just so slow and then tallying up a load of receipts at the end of the night has given me an irrational hatred for using it in person. Even if I go to do groceries and have no cash I'll hit the ATM on the way! Also have to laugh at customers saying it is too easy to blow through cash but basically bring out their entire bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Mostly cash
    This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Id never take a card with me on a night out. With a few drinks in you before you know it you could be buying shots for everyone

When i fill up the car at the pumps ill alway pay buy card and get cash back. Othertimes woukd be when im doing my christmas shopping or buying something over 100/150 euro. On line shopping its generally card or paypal.. im not the biggest fan of contactless cards over the fact its too easy for them to be skimmed. If you were pickpocketed or dropped your card someone could have a few nice purchases before you release it. I know someone that happened to recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Your mom only excepts cash

I hear your mom takes swipe card

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

I hear your mom takes swipe card

Insert it also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

retalivity wrote: »
    I work in IT and Finance. From another thread -

At a high level, everything you buy is tracked, classified and used & shared among many different departments in banks, financial institutions, affiliated companies and public organisations. GDPR should help but legislation is well behind what is actually happening. I have nothing to hide but i still dont like the fact that by the end of today, X company's across the world know i bought a coffee and croissant for breakfast and it will be used in targeted ads, aggregation, demographic statistics etc.

Thats before you get to things like network security and system failures - something as simple as no electricity - no money is still scarily possible.

Then you have behemoths like apple, google, amazon with their pay platforms. These companies already know so much about everyone, giving them financial history to feed into everything else is dangerous imo.

I also work in IT and Finance and have done for over a decade in 3 of the retail banks operating in Ireland. If what you say is true, you need to inform the authorities immediately as all these companies (including companies that compete with each other) are conspiring together to break numerous laws, involving tens, possibly hundreds of thousands of people, all who whom are keeping their mouths shut. The EU take this extremely seriously and would have no problem bringing all these offenders to task (look at Alphabet in the past week)

On the other hand, I don't actually believe you for a moment and believe you are just fueling the usual conspiracy theory BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

appledrop wrote: »
    Card majority of time + do use contactless but still use cash at times aswell.

However recently one if my cards got hacked + it was a wake up call on how we are too reliant on them. Takes nearly a week for new card + lot of hassle. Whats more worrying is no idea how it was hacked.

Could the Bank not tell you? :(

I use 99.9% cash.

Out of curiosity what happened? How did you pay? Genuine question

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Steve F wrote: »
    It probably got skimmed or stolen from an online retailer.

The bank can't know how and when the details were stolen any more than the individual can.

seamus wrote: »
    It probably got skimmed or stolen from an online retailer.

The bank can't know how and when the details were stolen any more than the individual can.

Thanks

Mostly cash
    Steve F wrote: »

They can but they won't. What would you do if you found out which merchant, processor, gateway, acquirer or issuer suffered the breach? How would that be useful information to you. You could avoid the merchant maybe but what if the merchant wasn't directly responsible? The card schemes prefer to say nothing. Partly because of security and partly because they don't want you to worry about these things. If you card is compromised, you call them, chargeback the transactions, get a new card and keep spending. The last thing they want is for customers to worry about when it's safe to use their card. They make money by you using your card.
    seamus wrote: »
    It probably got skimmed or stolen from an online retailer. The bank can't know how and when the details were stolen any more than the individual can.

The banks (as a whole) will be fairly sure how the card was compromised. The amount of data available to them makes it easy to spot these things which is why the level of card fraud is tiny considering the risks. The only time they might not know what happened was a person in a a shop skimming a single (or very small number of) card details and then using it online to buy untraceable products (no shipping, no billing address required) on a merchant with no 3D Secure. For anything else, you can be sure they'll find out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement