Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Bill One Bed Apartment

Options
  • 26-07-2018 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi there, I am living in a one bed apartment and my bill every two months is usually 106 euro. Default is 99 but when meter is checked it's a few euros more. Why is it so high?

To be honest I use the cooker most evenings, but I only have a hot shower every 3rd day and I don't even use the dryer for my clothes. I am very strict with lights not being left on. The only appliance I use often is my computer and that is for 3 to 4 hours most evenings.

I'm gone weekends so it's literally monday to friday.

Heating is a nightmare in winter months. My bill was 250E for 2 months back in february. There is no gas - everything is electric.

I wash clothes maybe once a week in the washing machine - 2 loads. I use the oven 5 days a week for dinner. The computer for a few hours in the evening.

There is a switch that enables water pressure and I leave that off completely unless I'm taking a shower. I'm supposed to leave that on all the time but again I'm worried about using electricity.

I don't even use my TV as i'm worried about bills. I do use my phone a lot so it's almost always charging.

Is it the cooking that's causing the high bill? Or the computer? 106E per 2 months seems a lot for one person! And heating in Winter is just not possible anymore after that 250e shock!

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,403 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Fixed charges(Standing + PSO) are ~86c (inc VAT) per day = €51 per 60 days/bill
    That means you only use ~ €1 worth of electricity per day, which is excellent.

Which supplier are you with? When is the last time you switched to take advantage of new customer discounts?
    If you're on prepay, it is costlier

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

€106 for 2 months doesn’t seem too excessive to me
    With standing charges that’s less than €10pw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Thoughtform

It's a fair bit in such a warm summer for just one person. Nothing to do with the provider they're with though, seems like something up with the electrics. Get it checked by an electrician.

€250 is a lot for one person even in winter (unless it was a reading after an under estimated bill) and February was before the snow.

Electrical heating is expensive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PATRICKESBOMG

I am with Electric Ireland. So I'm actually not paying that much? That's great! First time living alone and I suppose I'm not all that clued in.

As for the 250 bill...i had one reading for 250e and then the next bill was an estimate at 250e as well. The bill afterwards was 106e and the bill after that was 99e. Should I ring Electric Ireland about that second 250e? I thought they would subtract the difference when they did another reading but i don't think they have!

Thank you

It's a fair bit in such a warm summer for just one person. Nothing to do with the provider they're with though, seems like something up with the electrics. Get it checked by an electrician.

€250 is a lot for one person even in winter (unless it was a reading after an under estimated bill) and February was before the snow.

Electrical heating is expensive though.

Thank you - there were a few weeks where in addition to not being there at weekends always, I was also gone from the apartment for 2 to 3 days midweek as well.

How do I go about getting electrics checked? Does that cost me?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭st1979

I think you are using very little. As said you have most of your bill made up of standing charges. The rest of the ups and downs are probably more to do with estimated bills and the cold snowy winter. I think you will be a long time justifying getting an electrician out to check anything. It's not a car you are turning up for better economy. You have electric heating which is very dear to run. But well done you have relatively small bills. As said previously about a euro a day of actual power you use.

Thank you everyone - you made my day :)
    Would you recommend staying with my current setup (standing charge) or are there cheaper? If my bill is cheap as you say though i'm happy to stay as I am!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

There are a number of comparison sites here is one.

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/l/stop-overpaying-for-electricity

for some suppliers the standing charge is related to useage. Very low usage i.e a holiday home can have a very high standing charge.

You can also buy electricity monitors here is one example.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/geo-Minim-Energy-Monitor-Self-Installed/dp/B00JIMQP6Y/

This one connects to your computer.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CM160-Electricity-Monitor-Compatible-Windows/dp/B004BDNR84

• Registered Users Posts: 23,551 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you using LED light bulbs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

As for the 250 bill...i had one reading for 250e and then the next bill was an estimate at 250e as well. The bill afterwards was 106e and the bill after that was 99e. Should I ring Electric Ireland about that second 250e? I thought they would subtract the difference when they did another reading but i don't think they have!

Those bills aren't too high for electric heating in one of the coldest and longest winters we've had imo.

• Advertisement
Advertisement