Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New 2018 PC Build - Well overdue

Options
  • 26-07-2018 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

So I have a rig at the moment that is well overdue a decent upgrade, I built it with this forums help years ago and its over 5 years old now, 2013 is when I built it and the only thing I have added is a GTX 960 :o

8GB-Kit G.Skill Sniper PC3-14900U CL9-10-9-28
    GTX960 2GB
    ASRock B75M-GL R2.0, Sockel 1155, mATX
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W
    Intel Core i5-3470 Box, LGA1155
    Seagate Barracuda 7200 1000GB, SATA 6Gb/s

Its aging now, and instead of upgrading parts im going for an all new build.
    I currently game on 1080p, but will 100% be going higher in the future although not 4k.
    Budget is between 1200-1500 euro, bit of wiggle room if needed.
    I have a couple of ideas in my head, but the whole Ryzen/Intel I havent read up on, and I lurk on here pretty much everyday so know about the upcoming cards, bad time to build? Have RAM prices come down yet?
    I dont need storage, have a 500GB and 120GB SSD that are brand new, along with using the old 1TB for storage.

I have a thought out build that I will throw up in a bit, but in the meantime if anyone has any suggestions that would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

RAM is a bit high, SSD prices are down, Nvidia are launching new GPU (or at least refreshes) in a few months.

You have an option to hold off on a full refresh. Pick up a 1070(Ti) or 1080 and an i7 3770 and you'll have a very competitive build once again. Maybe picking up a 2x8gb DDR3 RAM kit if you've seen issues in this area (motherboard only has 2 RAM slots), but most people are still fine at 8gb. Perhaps the PSU is cutting it a little close... 500W is recommended by NVidia, but that is usually exaggerated.
    This kind of upgrade will easily get you gaming at 1440p 144Hz.

Intel are still better for gaming. Ryzen has brought AMD within 10% in gaming benchmarks, but are preferable when multi-tasking, ala streamer setups, productivity workloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Xenoronin wrote: »
    RAM is a bit high, SSD prices are down, Nvidia are launching new GPU (or at least refreshes) in a few months.

You have an option to hold off on a full refresh. Pick up a 1070(Ti) or 1080 and an i7 3770 and you'll have a very competitive build once again. Maybe picking up a 2x8gb DDR3 RAM kit if you've seen issues in this area (motherboard only has 2 RAM slots), but most people are still fine at 8gb. Perhaps the PSU is cutting it a little close... 500W is recommended by NVidia, but that is usually exaggerated.
    This kind of upgrade will easily get you gaming at 1440p 144Hz.

Intel are still better for gaming. Ryzen has brought AMD within 10% in gaming benchmarks, but are preferable when multi-tasking, ala streamer setups, productivity workloads.
    Thanks for the input mate. Tbh I dont want to just keep upgrading the current rig, Im a fecker for chaning my mind and getting bored so would love a new build.

DDR4 is still mad money, but the saving im making on SSD's should hopefully lighten the blow on that.
    Is the 1070ti still best bang for buck regarding GPU's at the moment? It should see me through a few years at least?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The cheapskate in me says:
    Pick up a i7-3770 (€85+) / Xeon E3-1270 (€69 on Aliexpress), another 8Gb DDR3 for €50, Arctic Freezer 33 for €22.
    Maybe a new PSU, too (€85-100)

Leaves you with enough to spend on a 1080 Ti & high-refresh G-sync monitor

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The cheapskate in me says:
    Pick up a i7-3770 (€85+) / Xeon E3-1270 (€69 on Aliexpress), another 8Gb DDR3 for €50, Arctic Freezer 33 for €22.
    Maybe a new PSU, too (€85-100)

Leaves you with enough to spend on a 1080 Ti & high-refresh G-sync monitor
    But what does the other side of you say? :P

Really appreciate the feedback, this is exactly why I posted here!
    I know upgrading the current rig I have now would probably be cheaper/allow to upgrade other areas (GPU etc) but at this stage I think I just want a complete overhaul (8th Gen/Ryzen, DDR4 etc), would people consider this stupid and/or a waste of money?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    But what does the other side of you say? :P

Really appreciate the feedback, this is exactly why I posted here!
    I know upgrading the current rig I have now would probably be cheaper/allow to upgrade other areas (GPU etc) but at this stage I think I just want a complete overhaul (8th Gen/Ryzen, DDR4 etc), would people consider this stupid and/or a waste of money?

The other side of me replaced a Xeon 1231v3 (4core/8thread) with a used i7-5820K (6core/12thread & overclockable) & spent €180 on 16Gb DDR4 so not the best person to ask! :pac:

Thing is, unless you NEED a 4GHz+ CPU your best gains will always be from the GPU side.
    And having a nice high-refresh rate monitor is the icing on the cake.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    The other side of me replaced a Xeon 1231v3 (4core/8thread) with a used i7-5820K (6core/12thread & overclockable) & spent €180 on 16Gb DDR4 so not the best person to ask! :pac:

Thing is, unless you NEED a 4GHz+ CPU your best gains will always be from the GPU side.
    And having a nice high-refresh rate monitor is the icing on the cake.
    :pac::pac::pac:

Yeh I understand where your coming from, but it just seems like im avoiding the inevitable upgrade to DDR4, and at that stage I may as well go new gen processor?

If I put the old system aside, and didnt include it in the starting post, what type of build would you have in mind for the budget?
    I just put this together quickly, but its what I had in mind roughly

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4GHz 6-Core Processor (£149.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: Asus - STRIX B350-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£95.20 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£155.95 @ More Computers)
    Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Video Card (£465.41 @ More Computers)
    Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£53.99 @ Aria PC)
    Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£94.73 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £1015.27

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Depends but probably be so much easier just to sell your current machine as it is for a few hundred and build fresh when you're fairly set on a new modern build.

New cards due out shortly though. If you want to buy now, a GTX1070 non-ti is actually way better value, can get them now for £329.

Depends but probably be so much easier just to sell your current machine as it is for a few hundred and build fresh when you're fairly set on a new modern build.

New cards due out shortly though. If you want to buy now, a GTX1070 non-ti is actually way better value, can get them now for £329.

Yeah thats what I would be doing, just getting rid as a bundle and starting from scratch.

I have been keeping an eye on HUKD for 1070ti but will keep an eye on 1070, I have the money there to pick up one so will pull the plug on the next one I see, any brands to stay away from??

Advertisement