Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting shimano QR hub to thru-axle

Options
  • 26-07-2018 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a new gravel frameset with thru-axles dropouts on the way and, as this is a low-budget build, I have a set of shimano RX05 (centrelock disc hubs) wheels donated from a friend. Not great wheels, but they'll do for now, but can you convert shimano QR hubs to thru-axle? The internet is giving me mixed answers in that it seems to depend on who has made them but that no all makes of hub are convertible, so just wondering if anyone has had the experience yet to definitively answer this....?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Usually no. You can convert thru axles to QR using reducer caps but considering that the hole for a QR is only 4/5mm wide then there is no way to increase that without changing the hubs.

A quick google says those wheels are QR and so its not possible to convert to TA.

Advertisement