Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

As there's about 3 days turn around in test results and that there'll be a few days before people show sympthoms before they'd even consider getting tested I'd imagine there'll be a few weeks before there's any change to the numbers.

Personally I can't wait to get to the beach but when I do go with the family we'll be bringing everything with us and avoiding as many people as possible so I know I won't be much use to the local economy unfortunately.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,389 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Clareman wrote: »
    As there's about 3 days turn around in test results and that there'll be a few days before people show sympthoms before they'd even consider getting tested I'd imagine there'll be a few weeks before there's any change to the numbers.

Yes, it will be a couple of weeks before we know the effect which I am assuming is how they came up with the 3 week gap between phase 1 and phase 2.

From what I have seen when out and about many have given up on the social distancing altogether though so the figures in the next few weeks will tell a story.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

In my opinion Clare has been very good at the social distancing from very early on in the crisis, it might have been the fact that we were the first county with confirmed cases or the first county with schools closed but by and large the social distancing has been done, although I have heard of a few pubs that were caught serving.

If there's an outbreak in somewhere like Kilkee however not only would it spread very quickly but it's so far from the nearest hospital it would have a massive impact on the people back there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,278 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

One big issue is public toilets, can't see them being reopened any time soon. They'd need full time cleaners. The guidelines at the moment say you should have staff using different toilets, a public toilet is a whole different ball game. There now starting to think Covid could be spread by farts.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    There was about 4,500 confirmed cases at 31 of March.

There were exactly 169 confirmed cases on the 15th of March. That was the day bars were ordered to close.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭dmc17

One big issue is public toilets, can't see them being reopened any time soon. They'd need full time cleaners. The guidelines at the moment say you should have staff using different toilets, a public toilet is a whole different ball game. There now starting to think Covid could be spread by farts.

So that's why I was getting funny looks in the shops today!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭G3467

People used to cough to cover their farts, now they fart to cover their coughs :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

In my opinion Clare has been very good at the social distancing from very early on in the crisis, it might have been the fact that we were the first county with confirmed cases or the first county with schools closed but by and large the social distancing has been done, although I have heard of a few pubs that were caught serving.

If there's an outbreak in somewhere like Kilkee however not only would it spread very quickly but it's so far from the nearest hospital it would have a massive impact on the people back there.

Great point, my folks live in Kilkee and are near 80 so this worries me,
    still i'd be lying if i said i can't wait to to be allowed back down there when things open up again.
    Sorry i'll never get another pint off Kieran Marrinan though. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 121 ✭✭Carodh

Great point, my folks live in Kilkee and are near 80 so this worries me,
    still i'd be lying if i said i can't wait to to be allowed back down there when things open up again.
    Sorry i'll never get another pint off Kieran Marrinan though. RIP

You aren’t the only one. My husband can’t wait to go into town for a pint but he says the first time going into Marrinan’s is going to be so hard. A good man gone too soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

If the news coming through from the Journal.ie is that we can now travel anywhere within our county from Monday then Kilkee and other spots may start to have people arriving from much further afield. I'm in South East Clare so by rights I can travel anywhere in the county and up to 20kms into a neighbouring county as I'm about 3kms from the Limerick border. (where I go for work/shopping anyway)

As hotels and B&Bs can also open from the 1st July then likely campsites/mobile parks will open on the 1st July meaning then that the within your county rule could be dropped by then as well.(that bit is just my opinion)

https://www.thejournal.ie/travel-covid-19-5115673-Jun2020/

Things are coming back to normal slowly but surely, personally I can't wait to head to the beach next week with the kids, I don't know who's more excited them or me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Things are coming back to normal slowly but surely, personally I can't wait to head to the beach next week with the kids, I don't know who's more excited them or me.

Announcement at 14:15 today so keep an eye on RTE or similar to see what they have to say. Could be that they are only doing this for essential travel i.e to visit family that are outside your 5/20kms radius.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,113 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Berty wrote: »
    Announcement at 14:15 today so keep an eye on RTE or similar to see what they have to say. Could be that they are only doing this for essential travel i.e to visit family that are outside your 5/20kms radius.

That won't matter. The guards are no longer manning roadblocks and if last weekend is anything to go by the 5km rule is already seen as 20km. They travel limits are gone no matter what the government say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

That won't matter. The guards are no longer manning roadblocks and if last weekend is anything to go by the 5km rule is already seen as 20km. They travel limits are gone no matter what the government say.

As I understand it the guards do not have the power to stop people anymore ....... it expired and cannot be renewed until a Gov is formed I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BarrySheehan

Looking forward to heading to Kilkee this weekend for the first time since February. Can anyone tell me what restaurants are serving take away meals and if any bar is doing take away pints similar to the Curragower in Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The Indian restaurant, the chinese, a couple of the pakistani kebab places and a couple of chippers are open for take away. The off license for cans of beer. It's beside Myles Creek pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭fAzI

But...

fAzI wrote: »
    But...

The government are responsible for that nonsense, home owners should never have been told they can't go to their houses.
    Kilkee along with the rest of the west is going to get invaded shortly, they should be making people feel safe and welcome this season in the hope they'll return again, huge opportunity for Kilkee with domestic tourism this year.
    There's no commercial property, pubs, shops etc for sale or rent is there a few kilkee property owners sitting on places to the determent of the town in general? It's unfortunately the case in a lot of towns, a few people trying to control all the cash registers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Well video looks like young people enjoying themselves having been in prison all Summer. Assume there were a few eejits as there always is.

What are the specific complaints?

Or will it be the usual ol' fellahs hammered in the Greyhound giving out about young people drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Truthvader wrote: »
    Well video looks like young people enjoying themselves having been in prison all Summer. Assume there were a few eejits as there always is.

What are the specific complaints?

Or will it be the usual ol' fellahs hammered in the Greyhound giving out about young people drinking

Is that post for real?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Heard they are closing the place all right!

Kilkee is always a bit rough on the bank holiday weekends, dont write the place off because of a few kids misbehaving.

Great day here today eating ice cream , enjoying the sunshine with my fellow shamoroi's and watching my kids smiling, long may it last , beautiful place.

Is that post for real?

So again what did these kids actually do? Haven't heard any specific complaints other than they were out late drinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So again what did these kids actually do? Haven't heard any specific complaints other than they were out late drinking

Lots of littering and loitering. That's about it. Stupid during current times but rather tame of a crime really.

A few assaults recently though, and that's quite unacceptable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

At a guess, probably their worst offense is the large gathering during lockdown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Ireland is developing a serious scobie problem. They are breeding much faster than the general population.

Time to buy some JD Sports shares..

Suckit wrote: »
    At a guess, probably their worst offense is the large gathering during lockdown.

If BLM can get together our youth should be able to as well. We can't lock them up forever. Lastest HSE advice is to only have virtual or phone sex. Something has to give somewhere.

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »

So as I thought then. No big deal. Been a **** Summer for "the kids" so probably hard to enforce social distancing at this stage. Always a bit of a gathering on Bank holiday Saturdays and a bit of stupidity the odd year. Probably more down there than usual given all the "travel ban green list go but dont go and if you do go dont come back f*ckology."

Advertisement