Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell has happened to Kilkee?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the promenade is quite nice on a sunny day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭Mailcoachinn

fryup wrote: »
    the promenade is quite nice on a sunny day

Catch a 45 to the last resort

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pretty quiet down on the coast from now on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

feargale wrote: »
    And we use the same language as USA. Therefore Clare is a state. Yeah?

USA uses American, which has not caught on here much apart from the use of "Yeah".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Hahaha I like it!!! What a quote. I remember that eyesore. Me and two other lads got a bus to Kilkee around 1995 and we stayed there.

The Atlantic hotel always fascinated me as a kid I have to say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Dacia1300

I’m a frequent enough visitor to Kilkee myself, have been basically since I was a kid. I find some of the posts here a tad bit over the top. I’ll agree that Kilkee is far from perfect & does still need a bit of work done, but in my view it is certainly not quite the worthless write-off of a town that some posters on here claim it to be, far from it in fact.

Personally, there’s a lot that I really like about the place. It has a fine beach, the pollock holes, Byrnes’s Cove, the cliff walk, some great pubs & plenty of choice as regards places to eat out.

What does seem to be holding the town back, I think, is the fact that the general consensus within Clare Co Co appears to be that Kilkee either doesn’t exist or is somebody else’s problem. A perfect example of this, as somebody already mentioned a couple of pages back, would be just how long it took for the strand line to be sorted out after the storms in early 2014.

All in all, I like Kilkee & I can’t see myself stopping visiting there anytime soon, flaws & all. Just thought I’d add my two cents worth...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

feargale wrote: »
    And we use the same language as USA. Therefore Clare is a state. Yeah?
    4ensic15 wrote: »
    USA uses American, which has not caught on here much apart from the use of "Yeah".

I missed this one. It's a very neat debating point, no doubt worthy of at least the silver medal at the Trinity Philosophical Society.

Does anyone know if there are any pictures/map drawings/artists renderings/etc of what Kilkee looked like before it was developed as a seaside town? Ie back when it was a small fishing village? It would be interesting to see although I have yet to come across anything...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭Muscles Schultz

Dacia1300 wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are any pictures/map drawings/artists renderings/etc of what Kilkee looked like before it was developed as a seaside town? Ie back when it was a small fishing village? It would be interesting to see although I have yet to come across anything...

Eh? Try googling “old Kilkee photos”

Eh? Try googling “old Kilkee photos”

Thanks, I’ve tried that but couldn’t find anything that far back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 ThorsMane

There are Facebook groups, Kilkee By The Sea and West Clare Is Calling You, they often post very old photos of Kilkee.

ThorsMane wrote: »
    There are Facebook groups, Kilkee By The Sea and West Clare Is Calling You, they often post very old photos of Kilkee.

Thanks. Not on Facebook myself but I’ll try & see if I can access them. Cheers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Kilkee began to develop from about 1820, i,e. before the invention of photography so I don't think you will find any photos to be of help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Clare County Library has a photograph archive (here), it's not working at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

If you Google Mary John Knott/Kilkee you will find an interesting account of her two month visit to Kilkee in the mid 1800s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

Is this place worth a weekend visit ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

There's plenty to see, do and eat in that arena.
    Lot's of fishing,surfing, cliff walk's and drive's.

Although I prefer Doolin myself it's more central, closer to the Burren and the Cliff's of moher and the Arran island's...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

There will be very little open during the low season. Many of the businesses in the town only open in the summer months. It can be difficult to get a good meal during the winter months. It all depends on what you go for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭Tikki Wang Wang

4ensic15 wrote: »
    There will be very little open during the low season. Many of the businesses in the town only open in the summer months. It can be difficult to get a good meal during the winter months. It all depends on what you go for.

Is The Strand restaurant any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Is The Strand restaurant any good?

Hickeys has good food, Stella's is grand too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭CraftySue

Any word on kilkee bay hotel opening?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

CraftySue wrote: »
    Any word on kilkee bay hotel opening?

It'll need tidying up. Jeez what a welcoming eyesore. And a misnomer - not even on the bay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 473 ✭✭Pissartist

I love Kilkee it's a paradise in the summer, but very quiet the rest of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

It'll need tidying up. Jeez what a welcoming eyesore. And a misnomer - not even on the bay.

There seems to have been work ongoing inside throughout the winter - have seen lots of trade vans there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Heard a local rumour that it was to open for Easter weekend, but has faced delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭hobie14

If you Google Mary John Knott/Kilkee you will find an interesting account of her two month visit to Kilkee in the mid 1800s

Quote .... " at the end of nearly two months in Kilkee, she had not seen one woman under the influence of drink and only two men. This is a fascinating glimpse of another era."

Things don't change much ...... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Clockpics

Did anyone else here there's going to be a halting site on the dunlickey road? Council s under a lot of pressure to arrange traveller accommodation and apparently they own a bit of land up that direction.

It would be interesting to see what the great and good from Limerick think of that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Clockpics wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what the great and good from Limerick think of that

Home from home!

Where are the travellers currently housed? Much like the asylum seekers (see Clonea Strand, Waterford), it's absurd that the council thinks it's a good idea to move these people to prime seaside locations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Radio5

Has the Kilkee Bay reopened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

Radio5 wrote: »
    Has the Kilkee Bay reopened?

Yes, new owners, place got a lick of paint too by the looks of it

Facebook post screenshot

Can't seem to paste that image without it being huge

Advertisement