Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lahvlann: Up the reek without a coddle - 26/07 two 18 so to speak

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Didn't know D'Arcy was sponsorless, could de TV licence not sponsor him, they basically have enough ads on RTE to warrant it.

Ray doesn't need a sponsor. He attracts all the big spenders.

RTE supporting the arts.
    The TV licence.
    Drivetime
    Liveline.
    SOR.

To name but a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

sligojoek wrote: »
    Ray doesn't need a sponsor. He attracts all the big spenders.

RTE supporting the arts.
    The TV licence.
    Drivetime
    Liveline.
    SOR.

To name but a few.

And Tubs...don't forget him!

Had to laugh today, heard a promo for De Tubs Show....and the clip was from a show covered by Dave Fanning. RTE....:rolleyes:

I don't normally listen to radio till after 10 but I've been driving between 8-45 and 9-30 for the last 3 days. I don't mind Fannin too much but I've just lasted 5 -10 minutes when he's in for Tubbs. It's all reading sh1te from the red tops. Surveys about coffee "The popular pick me up".. Boffins have discovered.. A survey has shown... I thought he was above that kind of hairdresser radio nonsense.

I don't normally listen to radio till after 10 but I've been driving between 8-45 and 9-30 for the last 3 days. I don't mind Fannin too much but I've just lasted 5 -10 minutes when he's in for Tubbs. It's all reading sh1te from the red tops. Surveys about coffee "The popular pick me up".. Boffins have discovered.. A survey has shown... I thought he was above that kind of hairdresser radio nonsense.

Joe: You were driving for over 15 hours? Ware did you go...to America? Was it de middle of de night wen you got dare he he he he he he he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Firstly, it’s €400k (at least).

Secondly, it’s nothing to do with intelligence, the man can barely speak English, has the Matty Matticks ability of a child, is reduced to silence without the crutch of a caller and is incredibly rude and ignorant when confronted with any sort of coherent, logical argument. His position was granted through cronyism pure and simple. Nothing to do with talent either.

By your logic then Lottie Ryan, D’Arcy and Fateen must be highly intelligent....I look forward to the day they announce they’ve cured cancer or achieved peace in the Middle East Lahv on RTE.

1. 400k? He’s smarter than I thought.
    2. “The man can barley speak English.” He speaks it as good as you can write it. But that’s irrelevant anyway. That’s his shtick, and it works for him.
    3. He can be ignorant when wrong etc. So what.....it is the Joe Duffy Show after all. It’s not a current affairs show.
    4. Pretty sure he served his time as producer and sidekick long before getting this gig. Timing and right place, right time is a factor in all walks of life. It has been one of the most popular radio shows in Ireland for some time and is clearly the most listened to and posted about show here. Also, no other show gets so many posts on here while the show is actually lahv.
    5. RTÉ or Joe Duffy don’t care if you endure listening to his show so you can post here or if you actually like it. You are listening and talking about it. You must like a bit of the auld self flagellation.
    6. Not sure how you tied all this to Lottie curing cancer or how D’Arcy managing to get himself poached from Today FM equates to Middle East peace.
    By your logic if you haven’t contributed to peace or cancer research then you aren’t intelligent, and don’t need to be to do a radio gig.

• Advertisement

More Music wrote: »
    2. “The man can barley speak English.” He speaks it as good as you can write it. But that’s irrelevant anyway. That’s his shtick, and it works for him.
    3. He can be ignorant when wrong etc. So what.....it is the Joe Duffy Show after all. It’s not a current affairs show.
    4. Pretty sure he served his time as producer and sidekick long before getting this gig. Timing and right place, right time is a factor in all walks of life. It has been one of the most popular radio shows in Ireland for some time and is clearly the most listened to and posted about show here. Also, no other show gets so many posts on here while the show is actually lahv.
    5. RTÉ or Joe Duffy don’t care if you endure listening to his show so you can post here or if you actually like it. You are listening and talking about it. You must like a bit of the auld self flagellation.
    6. Not sure how you tied all this to Lottie curing cancer or how D’Arcy managing to get himself poached from Today FM equates to Middle East peace.
    By your logic if you haven’t contributed to peace or cancer research then you aren’t intelligent, and don’t need to be to do a radio gig.

Of all the points that have ever been missed by posters on this thread, that is the best yet. Well done! Well done!

Like Fateen, you clearly think irony is something copper-coloured.

So much wrong with the above, so much. I’ll return to it later.

Your defence suggests some connection with the man or RTÉ, can you confirm or deny this?

Finally for now, it is not “The Joe Duffy Show” and it never has been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

I often wonder are some (or maybe just one or two) just soooooooooooooooo jealous of Joe ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

You gotta hand it to Liveline-it gets some amount of Boards posts every day. I commented in July about the Tubridy radio show-no posts in two weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,107 ✭✭✭✭zell12

honeybear wrote: »
    You gotta hand it to Liveline-it gets some amount of Boards posts every day. I commented in July about the Tubridy radio show-no posts in two weeks.
    You need to be here tamarrawah for de Funneh Fryday

• Advertisement

I tink Joe, Yew, Fungus & co are starting to join de posting so to speak. Well done petals! Well done!

They're plugging this FF as never before. Complete with Joe's fake chuckle at the Trump "joke". Listenership must be down because they played it twice during Drivetime.

I tink Joe, Yew, Fungus & co are starting to join de posting so to speak. Well done petals! Well done!
    Joebots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

A case of Tinker,Tailor,Soldier,Whoyy ?

As George Smiley said........"We suspect a mole,right at the top of the circus....... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Who listens to Tubridy? People who forget to turn off their radios after the news?

Love or hate Joe Duffy, but he gets people listening.

They're plugging this FF as never before. Complete with Joe's fake chuckle at the Trump "joke". Listenership must be down because they played it twice during Drivetime.

Sponsorship basically. Advertising value given in lieu of payment for the venue - and the overnight(s) for Fateen, the Funny Fryday Crew AND the RTÉ staffers who'll be there to work for a full 75mins - so will need 3 nights accomodation and meals and drinks to set up and take down same :rolleyes:.

Don't make the assumption that a busy thread equates to the quality of the show. The busiest days on the thread are when Fateen loses the plot (a relatively frequent occurrence), when the show is populated by loons (also a relatively frequent occurrence), or when a row breaks out - none of these things are what the show should be about. Lahv Lahn gets attention for all the wrong reasons; it's an Alan Partridge-esque car crash of idiocy, NIMBY-ism, parish-pump politics, agendas and moaning (amongst other things), all egged on by the rabble rouser in chief himself who can at times be simultaneously outraged by both sides of the same argument within one show.

It does not gain attention (or a busy thread) through the quality of its output, rather the contrary, in a grotesque WTF is this nonsense way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Big C

Sponsorship basically. Advertising value given in lieu of payment for the venue - and the overnight(s) for Fateen, the Funny Fryday Crew AND the RTÉ staffers who'll be there to work for a full 75mins - so will need 3 nights accomodation and meals and drinks to set up and take down same :rolleyes:.

And u know this for fact or is it fake news.:D

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Who listens to Tubridy? People who forget to turn off their radios after the news?

Love or hate Joe Duffy, but he gets people listening.

That Barry is one of the main reasons Duffy's listenership is where it is. Talk to any media planner or buyer in the advertising business and they will tell you listener apathy and bleed is one of the primary reasons for the listenership of some shows. No-one in the game believes the Lahv Lahn figures btw, no one (this has been discussed on here many times previously). If you want proof of this, look at the paucity of paid advertising on the show - those of us who've been here for years will recall that in the not too distant past numerous shows have taken place without a single paid advert in them.

Likewise, the show struggles to retain a title sponsor. If the show was as amazing from a quality perspective as some suggest, or as popular, it would be flooded with advertising and have sponsors to choose from - it struggles to attract either.

Big C wrote: »
    I often wonder are some (or maybe just one or two) just soooooooooooooooo jealous of Joe ?????

Oh yeah that's it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I wonder who you could be referring to....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Oh yeah that's it. :rolleyes:

Well, you do a lot of axe grinding so people will draw their own conclusions I guess. No need to explain again the source of your angst!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Complaining about people who complain about Liveline is a disgrace Joe. Someone should do something about it.

withless wrote: »
    Complaining about people who complain about Liveline is a disgrace Joe. Someone should do something about it.
    Text faaahve wan faaave faaaave wan. But 1850 715815. The laaaaahveline is open noooooooow

Be there or Be square
    DjhLkHrWsAAkAN1.jpg:large

Let's examine that then shall we? It's your money, you're partly paying for this - assuming you're a taxpayer and that you pay your tv licence; do you think that €400K for a man working 75mins a day on average 4 days a week for 40 weeks a year on a show that delivers very little by way of return in sponsorship or advertising revenue and couldn't possibly be near breakeven given OB's (Outside Broadcasts), at last count 6 producers and God knows how many Researchers and other technical and admin. staff is good value for that?

Please define what you mean by "smart"? Does the fact that he has managed to wrangle an exorbitant fee from the state broadcaster and by any comparative analysis is grossly overpaid make him smart in your eyes? Or is it the one man company set up to avoid tax that makes him smart? Please clarify.

2. “The man can barley speak English.” He speaks it as good as you can write it.

Nice personal insult to start with (and before you say I'm insulting Duffy, he's a public figure).

I assure you both my written and spoken English is immeasurably better than that of one Mr. Joseph Duffy (speaking and writing are integral to my work). If you're referring to the language I have used whilst mocking him and his mispronunciations, malapropisms, mixed metaphors, stumbling & mumbling and "unique" pronunciations and you have missed the fact that I was taking the proverbial then I have to wonder what your own basic level of "cop on" is to be honest.

But that’s irrelevant anyway. That’s his shtick, and it works for him.

Ah, so you're admitting it's part of his act? Ok. So it's ok for the National Broadcaster to have a man fronting a programme on its flagship station essentially portraying a caricature on a programme that dubs itself the voice of the nation? As Joe would say himself "wow".

As pointed out previously, it is not the Joe Duffy Show.

As for your "so what" comment; the BAI would disagree with you, and have frequently. You can look up the appropriate section yourself but I'm pretty sure you're aware his primary duty is to be impartial - which he has failed to do repeatedly; resulting in numerous apologies and repeated censure from the BAI.

When the debate is not going his way, he acts like a petulant child and throws the proverbial toys out of the pram, insults the callers, goes to an ad break etc. He even questioned an International Police Officer as to why he didn't "turn his gun on" journalists; ignoring of course the irony that many of his colleagues are journalists and that he would be the first to lead the outcry if a member of a foreign constabulary turned a gun on an RTE hack. A true professional!

He almost caused a run on the banks with some un-researched, off the cuff and dangerous "advice" in 2008 (from memory, apologies if the year is incorrect); which irked the then Minister for Finance so much he complained to the DG (of RTE). He threatened to resign but alas the coward realised that no-one else would pay his so handsomely for so little output so changed his tune "fairly lively".

His medial advice is both unqualified and potentially incredible dangerous and life-threatening; yet he continues to dish it out as if he was the best medic in the land.

He has repeatedly defended the indefensible (drink driving for example) and given platforms to the perpetrators of crimes to attempt to lessen their personal reputational damage on the airwaves.

He has repeatedly abused his position to promote his own wares and those of his "chums" (example - blatant promotion of his producer's gigs amongst others).

If it were the Joe Duffy show he would be responsible for the settlement that was paid to Monica Leech; but I think the chances of that happening were slim to none. So who paid for it? The taxpayer.

I could give many, many more examples.

4. Pretty sure he served his time as producer and sidekick long before getting this gig.

Can you please provide a link to where Mr. Duffy is listed as the producer of a show in RTE prior to him being anointed as the host of Liveline?

Timing and right place, right time is a factor in all walks of life.

You say "Timing and right place", others say cronyism.

RTE is rife with nepotism and cronyism - please comment on same in your reply if you disagree.

It has been one of the most popular radio shows in Ireland for some time and is clearly the most listened to and posted about show here.

How do you know it's one of the most listened to shows on here? You have no evidence of same. It's a handful of contributors who post frequently that populate the thread. There is no evidence that it is more or less listened to than any other show - it just has a more active audience laughing at the host.

Also, no other show gets so many posts on here while the show is actually lahv.

The number of posts on boards.ie about a show is not necessarily reflective of its quality; quite the opposite in fact in this case. It's no coincidence that the busiest days on the thread are the days that Joe "goes loco" so to speak. People post to comment on the train wreck and the rudeness, ignorance, hypocrisy, double standards or unprofessionalism (again) of the host. No-one is praising him!

Well if you paid attention you'd know I rarely if ever listen to the show anymore. The thread however is amusing, if only to expose the ignorance and complete unprofessionalism of the idiot host.

The way you describe it makes it sound like D'Arcy was a Machiavellian

I was being facetious - you might need to look that up to understand its meaning. Or do you think Lottie Ryan has her job on merit? You probably do actually. And Nicky Byrne. And Abie Philbin Bowman. And Ray D'Arcy's wife. And so on....

Some comments above. I could have expanded a lot more on each point, but as I don't work in RTE, I have more than 75mins a day work to do. But I'm happy to debate this again later with you. I await your reply.

I notice you still haven't confirmed or denied any connection to Mr. Duffy or RTE btw, perhaps you could start there?

Fungus’ “turn of phrase” in history of posts is a bit of a giveaway as is his username. Likes a bit of de guitar, singin an dat. Mostly doesn’t post in middle of Lahvlahn as too busy wit de buttons an dat.

Fungus’ “turn of phrase” in history of posts is a bit of a giveaway as is his username. Likes a bit of de guitar, singin an dat. Mostly doesn’t post in middle of Lahvlahn as too busy wit de buttons an dat.

And a bit of de auld parachutin' and attempting to bad mouth a different parachutin' organisation and dat.....don't forget that beauty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes could count de Boards posts on a Funny Froyday on a Childers entry level abacus so to speak.

• Advertisement

TWODAY'S De Brand NEW & IMPROVED so to speak 2-18 Joe Duffy Wurkday Calculator and dat:

Wurkdays in 2-18 and dat: 149
    Joe Shows: 118
    No Show Joe Shows: 31
    Breakeens 4 Joe: 31

PBH (de full-time host of de show) Shows: 26
    PBH guest appearances and dat: 1
    D'Omen Shows: 4
    AN Udder Shows: 0
    Good Fryday No Show by nobody at all at all: 1

NEW FEATURE SO TO SPEAK:
    Fateen's Estimated Fees (De FEF Matrix so to speak) to date dis year:
    AT LEAST €295,000*

(not including de EXTRA FEES for 3 days of De Beast From De East TV + Radio Simulcast Xtravaganza + likely "Danger Money" for travelling to and from wurk in de snow and dat).
    King-World-News-WTF-Is-Going-On-Here-864x400_c.jpg
    *de fees are calculated at €2,500 per show x days dat Fateen is in so to speak. Dose fees are likely conservative and outdated as day are 2 years old so to speak.
    I'm including Good Fryday as a Wurkday as it is not an official Bank Holiday/Holiday Day. Even Pat Kenny is in Newstalk FFS, but no-one in RTE of course of course.

DON'T FORGET -
    "We're here all summer" sez he

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Brian Kennedy must be having a tough time getting a few bob/quid/pound/shillings/coppers together at the moment so to speak.

withless wrote: »
    Brian Kennedy must be having a tough time getting a few bob/quid/pound/shillings/coppers together at the moment so to speak.

He duz de buke review on Pat Kenny too...with noted literary critics Katherine Lynch and Mary O'Rourke.

Lol, 2 seconds of searching produces this:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105223270&postcount=528

Looks like you've almost as many double standards as Fateen!:pac:

Can't wait to look at more of your posts later Aonghus, whoops, I mean More Music.

Yes could count de Boards posts on a Funny Froyday on a Childers entry level abacus so to speak.

A new buke perhaps? "De Childers Dat Did Doyed At A Funny Fryday".

Imagine a granny using her granny grant ("everywan is calling it dat now" sez he) ta bring their grandchild to a FunnyFryday? Cruel and unusual punishment so to speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,667 ✭✭✭thecretinhop

god damn it had a long post like butters it crashed ah well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

That Barry is one of the main reasons Duffy's listenership is where it is. Talk to any media planner or buyer in the advertising business and they will tell you listener apathy and bleed is one of the primary reasons for the listenership of some shows. No-one in the game believes the Lahv Lahn figures btw, no one (this has been discussed on here many times previously). If you want proof of this, look at the paucity of paid advertising on the show - those of us who've been here for years will recall that in the not too distant past numerous shows have taken place without a single paid advert in them.

Likewise, the show struggles to retain a title sponsor. If the show was as amazing from a quality perspective as some suggest, or as popular, it would be flooded with advertising and have sponsors to choose from - it struggles to attract either.

Those experts must find it difficult to explain the big variation in listenership between programmes, if everyone just leaves the radio on the same station. For instance D'Arcy drops about 170,000 listeners compared to Liveline.

But of course if the figures are made up then that would explain it. I asked you before to supply the actual listenership figures from your expert group, but you never came up with an answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

This story is starting to turn into Summer 2018s version of Versatis from Spring 2018, Service Dogs Europe from 2016 and Tuam Dead babies from 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

BPKS wrote: »
    This story is starting to turn into Summer 2018s version of Versatis from Spring 2018, Service Dogs Europe from 2016 and Tuam Dead babies from 2015.

Dont forget the Palmerians somewhere in there too :)

16 year old looking at child porn ?
    Seems unusual ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He duz de buke review on Pat Kenny too...with noted literary critics Katherine Lynch and Mary O'Rourke.

I think he lives with Katherine lynch or he used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Paedophilia isn’t an illness it’s a personal choice to do something evil and unacceptable to society .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

TomSweeney wrote: »
    16 year old looking at child porn ?
    Seems unusual ...

highly. At least they caught him young, before he had the opportunity to travel to parts of east Asia/ Africa ...

Paedophilia isn’t an illness it’s a personal choice to do something evil and unacceptable to society .

Don't talk about the THING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Paedophilia today and Unfunny Friday tomorrow. Not impressed

de burds.ie is going gaga so to speak

That’s why paedophiles are in a prison and not in a mental hospital .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just on this I have heard that book review segment and it is woeful.

I get the impression that more often than not BK and KL have just read the blurb on the back cover while waiting for their coffee before going on air.

Im just wondering was he unlucky as maybe he was 16, so normal for him to be interested in 14/15 year old girls - which is technically child p0rn, but for a 16 year old it's not !!
    Now I missed the beginning of the conv. maybe she mentioned they were younger.

Not condoning this btw

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement