Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can this Ryzen 3 2200g system price be beaten?

Options
  • 26-07-2018 2:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭

Found this build on amazon.

I posted a while back looking for build advice and to be honest this seems like it would meet my needs (I really just want it to play CS:GO).

I'd be playing at 1024x768 and low settings because that's my preference, and this build would knockout 200+fps at those settings.

Pros:It's only €366, comes with everything so I'd only need to add keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and has a 3 year parts and labour warranty (collect and return, but I'd imagine that's UK only).

Cons: It's pretty ugly, it ram is only* 2400mhz,

Can this build be beaten for price in a self build by enough to make it worth self building (considering the warranty)?

I'd be overclocking the gpu and trying to run the ram at a higher MHz too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

It could do with an SSD - that would make a big performance difference.

At that price range the RAM might not be the best quality for overclocking or for that matter the motherboard.

Having said all that it seems like a phenomenal price.

I'm to build a low cost 2200G rig and I doubt it'll be as cheap as that one although it will have an SSD, faster ram and a higher than average quality PSU so those will add a nice bit too my costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

It could do with an SSD - that would make a big performance difference.

At that price range the RAM might not be the best quality for overclocking or for that matter the motherboard.

Having said all that it seems like a phenomenal price.

I'm to build a low cost 2200G rig and I doubt it'll be as cheap as that one although it will have an SSD, faster ram and a higher than average quality PSU so those will add a nice bit too my costs.

I do have a 128gb ssd I can re-purpose from a laptop and use as a system drive now that you mention it.

Annnnnnd it's gone, the 310 (2200g) seems to have disappeared from amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£82.00 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 CPU Cooler (£23.50 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£57.00)
    Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£78.27 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: XFX - XT 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.93 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £311.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-26 17:42 BST+0100

Motherboard is €65 on AmazonDE; I put it in assuming you're using a CRT monitor with VGA connector.
    ===========

Edit:
    For the price though - I'd just buy a cheap 2ndhand gaming PC on Adverts.
    For €200-350 you can get a machine with a Core i5 & Nvidia GTX / Radeon HDxxxx that probably outperforms the 2200G.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£82.00 @ Amazon UK)
    CPU Cooler: ARCTIC - Freezer 33 CPU Cooler (£23.50 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: MSI - B350M PRO-VD PLUS Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£57.00)
    Memory: Team - Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£78.27 @ CCL Computers)
    Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£34.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: XFX - XT 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£35.93 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £311.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-07-26 17:42 BST+0100

Motherboard is €65 on AmazonDE; I put it in assuming you're using a CRT monitor with VGA connector.
    ===========

Edit:
    For the price though - I'd just buy a cheap 2ndhand gaming PC on Adverts.
    For €200-350 you can get a machine with a Core i5 & Nvidia GTX / Radeon HDxxxx that probably outperforms the 2200G.

But will it have L337 RGB case and a 3 year warranty (which the sellers have confirmed is valid in Ireland but I'd have to ship to them)?

Your build though, you can knock £23 off that, I'd be sticking with the included AMD wraith cooler for the immediate future. Cheers for that, great price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Probably just go for the 2400G, might as well get the best performance.

I wouldn't worry about warranty in this case as it would cost a fortune to ship a PC back to the UK fully insured if anything goes wrong.

Can get good bargains 2nd hand. €250 would get you a 2nd hand machine that'd easily whallop the 2200G.

• Advertisement

Probably just go for the 2400G, might as well get the best performance.

I wouldn't worry about warranty in this case as it would cost a fortune to ship a PC back to the UK fully insured if anything goes wrong.

Can get good bargains 2nd hand. €250 would get you a 2nd hand machine that'd easily whallop the 2200G.

I don't think the 2400g is worth the price difference and it's apparently runs super hot. You can OC the 2200g with the oem fan and still get lower temps than the 2400g.

I dont'd fancy buying an older Intel based machine because I don't want compatibility issues if I do decide to upgrade.
    If I want with this build I can whollop in a higher end AMd CPU and AMD/Nvedia GPU without needing to upgrade the board, and I'll already have DDR4 comparability. It's more future proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I would argue it definitely is given you said you want future-proofing.

The 2400G is significantly faster in both CPU grunt and iGPU power - it's an 4/8 CPU, the 2200G is only 4/4, so it's way better placed for more CPU intensive titles down the line and would perform significantly better in current CPU heavy titles.

If you get the 2400G now, you're far less likely to need to upgrade the CPU over the next few years, even as it is the 2200G would be fairly weak for certain CPU intensive titles (like BF1 online) / upcoming titles (like BF:V)

For the sake of €50 I would definitely get the 2400G for future-proofing. Those extra threads give it a massive edge over the 2200G.

I would argue it definitely is given you said you want future-proofing.

The 2400G is significantly faster in both CPU grunt and iGPU power - it's an 4/8 CPU, the 2200G is only 4/4, so it's way better placed for more CPU intensive titles down the line and would perform significantly better in current CPU heavy titles.

If you get the 2400G now, you're far less likely to need to upgrade the CPU over the next few years, even as it is the 2200G would be fairly weak for certain CPU intensive titles (like BF1 online) / upcoming titles (like BF:V)

For the sake of €50 I would definitely get the 2400G for future-proofing. Those extra threads give it a massive edge over the 2200G.

That's a fair point, especially if I did splash out the extra £23 on the cooler K.O.Kiki posted it would make a lot of sense if I wanted to throw a dedicated GPU on the system later on and OC the cpu a little.

I keep forgetting that the 2400G is hyper-threaded :pac:

I forgot one last thing:
    With the 2200G/2400G, it's rather important to get a dual-channel kit (i.e. 2x4Gb sticks)

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3244-amd-r5-2400g-memory-kit-benchmarks-and-single-vs-dual-channel

• Advertisement

I forgot one last thing:
    With the 2200G/2400G, it's rather important to get a dual-channel kit (i.e. 2x4Gb sticks)

https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3244-amd-r5-2400g-memory-kit-benchmarks-and-single-vs-dual-channel

Yeah I'd been conscious of this already and was factoring this into my build buying.
    The most important things in order seem to be dual channel kit and high MHz.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I forgot one last thing:

Yes and because of that you want a board with 4 memory slots if you're starting with a 2x4 kit so you can easily add another 8gb later.

This 1 will do the trick.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079JV25W7/?tag=pcp0f-21

2400g is potentially worth it but you still have 8 core options on this board and maybe even 16 core options in the future. Also op be careful when buying motherboards for this. If you get an older model that hasn't had it's BIOS updated yet it will not be able to use the 2200/2400g without being updated which will require an older gen 1 Ryzen chip to do.

Advertisement