Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giant AnyRoad v ToughRoad SLR

Options
  • 26-07-2018 2:39pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a new bike at the moment.
    Currently on an Escape 3, but looking for something that I can take offroad along with being more comfortable and faster onroad.

These are the 2 I've narrowed in on:
    https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ie/comparison/gc@47-gc@407

Initially I was looking at a mountain bike and a guy recommended the Toughroad with flat bars. I then moved to toying with the the idea of getting a mountain bike and a road bike, and then came across the Toughroad with the drop bars and the AnyRoad which are essentially what I've been looking for.
    I'm not savvy to the gear sets and brakes and all the technical side of bikes, which of these would be better for mostly onroad but going offroad occasionally.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The anyroad looks like a better spec

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I was in you position a few weeks ago. https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057889909
    I ended up going with the Toughroad. They are reduced a lot at the moment. I saved €300 on mine between when I went to look and went to buy, two weeks later.

I took it on the cliff path from Sutton to Howth last weekend and it coped really well. Then went back up to the summit by road and down the other side to Sutton again. I was afraid the gear ratio might leave me spinning out but it was fine and I was up around 60 km/h.

I just got a bike box to take it to France on Holiday and am already planning the routes between mountain roads and forest tracks.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Deadly, sounds like it was a good acquisition for you.
    I think the cons of the AnyRoad for me are the reviews of the seating position and that you can't put a bigger tyre on it for more rugged work. Whereas the toughroad, you can reduce the size if needed.
    The ToughRoad also looks better so that will obviously make me go faster :)

I'm not sure if the better spec on the Any Road would be much of a muchness to me, I think anything coming from the Escape 3 is going to be a big leap :)

I seen you got yours on the long mile, do they do the bike2work there?

Yeah, they gave me an invoice and had it all paid and sorted by the company in about a week

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The tyre sizes stood out to me.
    32mm v 38mm. That latter tyre is fairly wide if you are mostly doing on road.

When you say off road are you talking about gravel paths like greenways or doing mountain bike tracks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

My son has a mountain bike, and he wants to explore and I want to be able to go with him. That wont be very frequent, so I can't justify buying a mountain bike just for that.....that leans me towards the Toughroad as well with the bigger tyres.
    But would the AnyRoad be able to handle that on occasion?

The tyre sizes stood out to me.
    32mm v 38mm.

You can change the tyres,if you need to.
    I’m still going to go up Mt Ventoux with the 38mm though!

Went into a bike shop at the weekend that stocks Giants to see if they had any of these in stock. They didn't and the guy was telling me that I'd be crazy to go off road on the ToughRoad. He kept on talking about that it will never handle jumps.
    I kept on telling him that I have no intention of jumping over anything on it. He then tried to sell me a mountain bike and then the previous version of the AnyRoad, can't remember what it was called.

I reckon the 2 that he was trying to sell to me where ones he was trying to clear.

The one out on the Long Mile road is your best bet as they have a big selection.

I'm not intending on doing any jumps, just rough off road tracks.

Advertisement