Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quick question on health check

• 26-07-2018 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'd be in a rush to get an answer. Our car (Kia) is in a Kia workshop to get done that are covered by Kia. We'd need to service our car anyway, so we'll do that too while it's there.
    Now they did a health check and we have a list of things that they'd recommend to replace.

Driving belt needs to be done, there's a suspension leak and all break pads and discs need replacement plus a few smaller things. I'm aware it needs to be done anyway, I'm just curious about prices.

Breakpads and discs to change are over 600 in total, front and back, should I get that done somewhere else? Or would it make sense doing it while the car is there already?
    I'm sorry, I'm not car savvy, I just wanna keep my car alive and in good nick for as long as possible.
    It's an 07 car btw.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭TheShow

no longer in warranty so i'd go to a indy mechanic instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Okay, the reason why it's there in the first place is because of a Kia specific issue we had and they cover the cost of it despite the car being old, which is really great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

With a car of that age, shopping independently would definitely be cheaper. Ask for the printed health check so you can consider the work, then use it to shop around elsewhere.

Those health check reports are usually colour coded, green, orange, red, a traffic light system.

Red is stuff you actually need, orange is "upsell" and green is all good.

Okay thanks! There is one thing that needs to be done now anyway plus the service. Will get that going then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭TheShow

LirW wrote: »
    Okay, the reason why it's there in the first place is because of a Kia specific issue we had and they cover the cost of it despite the car being old, which is really great.

thats fine, get them to fix that issue FOC and go to a reputable indy dealer as suggested by Toyotafanboi, to get the rest done.

• Advertisement

TheShow wrote: »
    thats fine, get them to fix that issue FOC and go to a reputable indy dealer as suggested by Toyotafanboi, to get the rest done.

I have a reputable mechanic on hand anyway, we'll get him to do the rest in two weeks time then.
    Thanks so much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Definitely. For the valve of a 07 Kia there’s an argument for keeping it safe but not doing anything major.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

LirW wrote: »
    Hi,

I'd be in a rush to get an answer. Our car (Kia) is in a Kia workshop to get done that are covered by Kia. We'd need to service our car anyway, so we'll do that too while it's there.
    Now they did a health check and we have a list of things that they'd recommend to replace.

Driving belt needs to be done, there's a suspension leak and all break pads and discs need replacement plus a few smaller things. I'm aware it needs to be done anyway, I'm just curious about prices.

Breakpads and discs to change are over 600 in total, front and back, should I get that done somewhere else? Or would it make sense doing it while the car is there already?
    I'm sorry, I'm not car savvy, I just wanna keep my car alive and in good nick for as long as possible.
    It's an 07 car btw.

If a garage recommend changing front and rear brake discs and pads, first question I would ask is what is the measured width of the discs/pads and what is manufacturer recommended minimum.
    Maybe after obtaining correct figures, it might turn out that possibly not all of them need instant replacement.

What's the mileage on the car?

165k miles.
    I bought it 3 months ago and it has to do me for at least 1,5 years until I'll be looking for something more permanent.
    I want to fix whatever necessary to get me over that time because I'd rather drive my own banger instead of inheriting someone else's problem.
    Unfortunately I don't have too much knowledge about car parts and their prices really and since the car is in already I get at least the service done now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭enumbers

you need to ask around for a decent independent near to you to price up any of the noted issues, it may be a case that the dealer was been overly cautious so worth a second opinion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement