Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ironman Age Group world champion gets 4 year doping ban

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

At his age....4 years is nothing.....

What are the rules when returning to competition following a ban? Do they have to show they are clean for period of time beforehand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Keeks wrote: »
    At his age....4 years is nothing.....

What are the rules when returning to competition following a ban? Do they have to show they are clean for period of time beforehand?

no they dont have to proof that.

TriFirst wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think we are going to see more of this in the sport of triathlon as it continues to attract more money. Personally I believe in lifetime bans but 4 yaers is better than nothing.

https://www.tri247.com/triathlon-news/industry/ironman-ag-champion-doping-ban

where does triathlon attract more money? his price money was 0 euro
    or are you saying people that can afford higher entry fees are more likely to dope ?

while there is a very select people that make more money in tri , now. most pros make less than a few years ago ( virtually 0% increse in price money and actually many price money cuts, and less sponsorship oppurtuites for pros that are not top 5 in kona or world series .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

IMO it takes a certain mindset to dope in an amaeur individual event where the only prize is the plaudits and bragging rights that go with your win. Does IM appeal to that mindset or type of personality?

I've seen swimmers massively cutting corners between buoys in an IM branded event, we've all seen blatant drafting / cheating on the bike and at least one previous poster here was purposely punched in the face during a swim by a competitor.

Is tri unique in the level of blatant cheating that we see at almost ever race?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭TriFirst

peter kern wrote: »
    where does triathlon attract more money? his price money was 0 euro
    or are you saying people that can afford higher entry fees are more likely to dope ?

while there is a very select people that make more money in tri , now. most pros make less than a few years ago ( virtually 0% increse in price money and actually many price money cuts, and less sponsorship oppurtuites for pros that are not top 5 in kona or world series .

More money relatively speaking. After several years of decline due to recession the participation numbers in triathlon show that it is a growing sport again. In recent years TI has seen a 120% increase in members. In north Amercia there has till this year been a decline in participants and this is linked to it being an expensive sport to participate in, but 2018 will see growth again. Globally Triathlon is expanding and opportunities have grown them, see the proliferation of the challenge series and Superleague. Social media has seen the proliferation of Age Group triathletes who will never reach the kona podium, make a living through affiliate deals and sponsorship deals with many of the 300 plus companies selling triathlon related products. This is what I mean when i say there is more money now in triathlon, its not purely about prize money at the elite level. I know several Age Groupers who support themselves in this way, so there is much to be gained from raising one's profile by winning at age group level and by extension theres much to be gained by cheating in the cheater's eyes of course.

• Advertisement

fair points

you are talking about social media doping on the up ( ie buyng likes ) ?

I would say the current way triathlon goes it makes less sense to dope than a few years ago when it was more about performance than likes on social media. iam not saying results are not important but what iam saying is they are less important than 10 years ago and the trend goes further in the direction that results get less important .

ie being a good shill is more important than being a good athlete. but maybe you are right a good shill likely has less moral values...

Advertisement