Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Energy: worth changing to?

• 26-07-2018 3:50pm

Just Energy are coming up on both Bonkers.ie and Switcher.ie as alternatives to my existing supplier (Energia). The tariff will be set for 12 months, which will make them cheaper than Energia which is raising its prices next month. However, I've never heard of Just Energy until today. I've googled reviews and they were very negative, but they seem to apply to the US firm of the same name.

Is the Irish business worth switching to?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I’m on their unlimited plan, no issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭maik3n

My neighbour recently signed up with them.
    They even broke their existing contract with Airtricity early to switch over.

I'm very much tempted myself but I'm still a little unsure as to how you can really have ''unlimited'' usage? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moving to a Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭thunderdog

I switched to then at the start of the year. I use a lot of electricity so switching to them saved a good bit of money for me. No problems so far

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Daniela79

I thought Just Energy unlimited offer is the best but..I signed the contract with them less then a month ago and already 2 times they make the bill up(if you don't like it you can switch company-is what they say) and today again called me to say that again bill goes more up, first offer was 63€, fixed bill, the last offer is 77€, on the question why and how you change the bill they just say we made a mistake and this is our (always) last offer, if you don't like it change company. So guess on every 2 weeks the bill will go up and always they say no, no, this is the last time!!! And today again asking the same question from the first day they decided that under their terms and conditions they can not offer me unlimited, so said we ll cut the contract and make you new (crazyyyyy) offer. So guess they just want to make you switch to them and then play with your bills and and...so nothing from what they said or what I signed is how it should be. And yes..after I said that you can't do this and is not my mistake that you don't know your terms amd condition, they said well we can stop the contract if we notice something is not under the terms(nothing that I changed from the day we signed the contract, but they "forgot" their own rules, came on my door, offered me, I switched amd now they l'll cut the contract!!!! Never again this company, EVER!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭1874

Fuaranach wrote: »
    Just Energy are coming up on both Bonkers.ie and Switcher.ie as alternatives to my existing supplier (Energia). The tariff will be set for 12 months, which will make them cheaper than Energia which is raising its prices next month. However, I've never heard of Just Energy until today. I've googled reviews and they were very negative, but they seem to apply to the US firm of the same name.

Is the Irish business worth switching to?
    maik3n wrote: »
    My neighbour recently signed up with them.
    They even broke their existing contract with Airtricity early to switch over.

I'm very much tempted myself but I'm still a little unsure as to how you can really have ''unlimited'' usage? :confused::confused:

I recommend you do NOT move to Just energy, they are hopeless
    We could not get away from them quick enough, months of chasing after them so we could even get access to our online account which they insist upon, we wanted that convenience, but they could not provide it, blamed us for having something wrong on our end for not being able to access their online billing, no issues with Bord Gais or Elec Ireland on that score, I did find online somewhere about something called a scraper, which their site uses to seemingly get ad details or some information from your use of their site? completely unknown how the bills were come to as we had no access to bills, from not being able to get them to take the money, to them taking duplicate large amounts.

I mean they withdrew payment from our account more than they were meant to and did not even bother to inform us, we discovered it later on and had to chase them up and wait for them to get around to it, our billing was all over the place, you wont have a clue what you are paying for as they dont seem to either, they are a complete shambolic disaster.
    Trying to ring them is a disaster as your call just gets dropped, especially if you try the landline number, if you message them on their system, it just gets lost in the ether as you end up with no record yourself of your enquiries or complaints and good luck hearing back from them too.

Never ever again, stay clear, they are like the Eir of energy utility suppliers, a complete shambolic organisation
    Completely lied to us on the phone about fixing problems, billing and then when we threatened to go to the CRU, they were falling over themselves so we could do what we wanted to do, which was get away from them quick, they have just now sent us a bill despite being away from them for months after telling it was cleared due to the problems, bloody liars.
    They need to be pushed out of the market, complete disaster, who needs that hassle of dealing with something like that when other providers can do it without the problems.

edit, I should also say, if you ever actually manage get through to them on the phone, you will get the run around, constantly being put on and off hold, and problems getting repeatedly not dealt with, having to re-explain the problem each time to a new person, nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ipnface

They are awful if you have even a minor issue. I've been on the phone with them over 60 times and have complained to Comreg. Avoid like the plague unless you enjoy hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭maik3n

I guess it was all too good to be true then. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭what?

late to the party,

night mare to deal with.

Attempted to switch Gas and elec in August.

Problems with switching elec, contacted them, submitted previous meter reading.
    Checked again last week, elec still not switched.

If they cant even get that right,I'm not hanging around to find out what other cock ups are coming down the line

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Been with them a year on unlimited. No problems at all. I had to ring them up over a credit, that took a month to get refunded, but no other issues. It's just electricity and gas! The only thing that can go wrong is the billing, that's all.

• Advertisement

Been with them nearly a year, only received one bill in that period, they can't figure out why, but keep charging me though. no help and they seem to only have 3 people in the phone desk, always the same people. They make life more difficult than help. Amazing how a utility provider can have so many issues, the others make it look simple

Been with them nearly a year, only received one bill in that period, they can't figure out why, but keep charging me though. no help and they seem to only have 3 people in the phone desk, always the same people. They make life more difficult than help. Amazing how a utility provider can have so many issues, the others make it look simple

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭celticcrash

Received a cold call from them at end of contract stating that if I stick with them then I would have the same rates as last year. I said yes. I phoned back a week later and asked for the rates and breakdown in an e-mail. I got a reply and Just Energy were charging me a full 50% more then my normal rates. Rang them back a few times, to be fobbed off. Basically it was robbery. I will be contacting the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) Monday and making a complaint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

The Unlimited product is fantastic and none of the other suppliers come close to it.

So excited to be able to heat the garage this year and use the tumble dryer as much as we want.

No matter how much electricity or gas I use I cannot be charged any more than I am paying now. That is very clearly written in the contract and they confirmed that in writing by email too after me getting paranoid after reading the comments in here. Apparently the reason people have been offered unlimited quotes higher than what they signed up for at the door, is because the sales agent put in far too low a consumption. When they register you in their office they see exactly what we have used. So if you were paying for example €100 with your current supplier, then it would be ridiculous to think Just Energy are going to charge you €50 for that AND have unlimited use. So they then ring the customer to tell them the quotation provided at the door was based on different usage than what is accurate, and they let you know about it and offer the realistic rate. Obviously the customers get mad because even though the deal is still amazing, if you thought it was going to be half price you would be disappointed.

I find it a bit odd that people would think you get something for nothing, its a great offer for those that will take advantage of the unlimited usage, or those that want to fix their prices. Heated dog house anyone? Why not!

I have to say I felt so smug these last few weeks seeing all the suppliers putting their prices up again knowing that at least for this year, it wont affect me. I just wish Just Energy would give me this deal for longer, like 5 years instead of 1. They're not stupid though!

At the end of the contract, if i were to stay with them, they would base my following year on this years usage which is going to be much higher given that Im seriously taking advantage of this unlimited use. So obviously I am going to change supplier in 12 months time. I'm going to really enjoy this winter though!

Make hay while the sun shines, isn't that what they always say. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭andy125

Received a cold call from them at end of contract stating that if I stick with them then I would have the same rates as last year. I said yes. I phoned back a week later and asked for the rates and breakdown in an e-mail. I got a reply and Just Energy were charging me a full 50% more then my normal rates. Rang them back a few times, to be fobbed off. Basically it was robbery. I will be contacting the Commission for Regulation of Utilities (CRU) Monday and making a complaint.

Did you get anywhere with this?

I had the same cold call and the same offer, I took the offer but in the app my contract rate is no where near the same as before a good 50% increase in fact

Advertisement