Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get out of the Bundle trap?

Options
  • 26-07-2018 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭

Bit of context I got my 18 month Eir mobile contract a long time ago, July 2016, about a year after I was getting fibre installed so we bundled them up into a new 18 month contract. I didn't mind at that point as it only added 6 months extra to my mobile contract.

Then last October my wife was upgrading her own Eir mobile, and they added it to the bundle as well, This seems to have put us on yet another new 18 month contract for the whole bundle, that doesn't end until April 2019. That has turned my original 18 month mobile contract into a now 28 month long contract. 

It seems each time one element is updated/renewed/added the whole bundle is renewed. 

Now I need to change my phone (and checked and am entitled to an upgrade with Eir) I can't avail of it, as it will extend the bundle contract by another 24 months. 

Is there any way to break this cycle without paying the 371 Euro (I checked) to move my phone off the bundle. It seems a bit excessive to charge nearly €371 euro after I've been with the company for over two years already.

I want to get the new S9 that is €99 with Vodafone but Eir are charging €399 for it!

It seems like no matter what I do, if I leave or stay with Eir it will cost me €400 to upgrade my phone.  

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭eir: Kyle

Bit of context I got my 18 month Eir mobile contract a long time ago, July 2016, about a year after I was getting fibre installed so we bundled them up into a new 18 month contract. I didn't mind at that point as it only added 6 months extra to my mobile contract.

Then last October my wife was upgrading her own Eir mobile, and they added it to the bundle as well, This seems to have put us on yet another new 18 month contract for the whole bundle, that doesn't end until April 2019. That has turned my original 18 month mobile contract into a now 28 month long contract. 

It seems each time one element is updated/renewed/added the whole bundle is renewed. 

Now I need to change my phone (and checked and am entitled to an upgrade with Eir) I can't avail of it, as it will extend the bundle contract by another 24 months. 

Is there any way to break this cycle without paying the 371 Euro (I checked) to move my phone off the bundle. It seems a bit excessive to charge nearly €371 euro after I've been with the company for over two years already.  

I want to get the new S9 that is €99 with Vodafone but Eir are charging €399 for it!

It seems like no matter what I do, if I leave or stay with Eir it will cost me €400 to upgrade my phone.  
    Hi there Grumpypants

Thank you for getting in touch with us here.

Our plans and promotions can differ from time to time as they are all subject to change. I completely understand your frustration & disappointment but unfortunately this is out of our control. I will make sure to forward your feedback onto the relevant team now.

If you do decided to opt in for any new offer you can call our Sales Team directly at 1800503303 and see what they can do for you there.

-Kyle

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I checked they said I have to pay €399 to upgrade to the S9 with Eir! It will cost me €371 to leave! It's Bonkers that they would charge you more to stay with the company!! 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

I checked they said I have to pay €399 to upgrade to the S9 with Eir! It will cost me €371 to leave! It's Bonkers that they would charge you more to stay with the company!! 
    I understand your frustration here, I'm sorry it's not better news. 

I'll be sure to pass this feedback on. 

Thanks 

Tracey 

Advertisement