Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The market, or otherwise, for IT support services

Options
  • 26-07-2018 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,250 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a market for IT services for individuals, home users and small businesses

Is there still a market for PC\Laptop\Tablet repair, both HW and SW?

I work in IT support Monday to Friday.

I won’t mind doing a bit more for home users or small companies out of hours.

But does the market still exist for this sort of thing?

People use more devices now but they usually tend to use tablets or phones rather than PCs or laptops.

So things like RAM, HDDs, keyboards and obviously screens are now embedded rather than being separate items.

Plus 4G mobile service and plans are now popular so even things like home network devices may be on the way out.

Is there any area of personal computing that still needs input from someone with specific IT knowledge?

I personally believe that there is a huge market for “cyber security” services for individual, home users and small businesses, but I’m not sure how one would go about offering services that could be charges for in that sphere.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Offering the services is the easy bit.

Convincing home-users, individuals or small businesses to pay for it will be the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Graham wrote: »

Convincing home-users.......... to pay for it will be the problem.

More prevalent these days.

You complete your task as the service agent. THEN the home-user says in your face "I could have done the task myself" as their main excuse to deny full payment.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    More prevalent these days.

You complete your task as the service agent. THEN the home-user says in your face "I could have done the task myself" as their main excuse to deny full payment.

It sounds like the market has at least progressed from "i have a nephew/niece/neighbour that's good with puters".

Advertisement