Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Flat Roof Pooling Water -

• 26-07-2018 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi Everyone -

I hope I can get some advise regarding a flat roof on a new rear extension -
    I had plans drawn up for a new extension the build went a head and I have to say the work is great and they finished on time and with in budget - and does look amazing I have to say - BUT when is rains I get a lot of pooled water on the roof on the left and right of the roof, now I understand its called a Flat Roof but I would of thought as a new build should it not be taken it to consideration to make sure there is enough of a tilt for all the water to run off ?
    I have spoken to the builders and they are coming round to look at this as I sent them pictures  and as we all know its can rain a bit in Ireland.
    in the reply email this is what they said about pooling water
    [font=Calibri","sans-serif]the water after rain lodges on the roof which is reasonable and  accepted within industry as it is a flat roof with some minimum  pitch –in any way it doesn’t compromise the structure of the roof at all  and additionally you have the guarantee[/font][font=Calibri","sans-serif]-[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]Cheers[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]John[/font]

[font=Calibri","sans-serif]My question is there rely correct ? and is this a mistake that they should rectify.[/font]

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

A joint warranty between builder and manufacturer?
    For how long?
    What pitch did the manufacturer product instructions call up for the warranty?
    Was there a Drawing & spec - did they spec a certain pitch? Maybe crickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Jwc3051

Hi Bryan

I had full architect plans (which were not cheap) which to be honest i don't fully understand,
    i know the build has a 10 year guarantee -

i am a total novice at building, so this is why i got a very well know Architect company for the plans and a building company with a good reputation for new builds. when i look at the pain i can't tell if a tilt is supposed to be there or not. but the pooling is bad i have taken photos of this any emailed the building company and as you see the reply is its normal -

i will email the architects to see what they have to say as well.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

What finish is on the roof?

Fibreglass roof

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

In the middle of a renovation/extension at the moment. Our
    contract with the builder stipulates that he doesn't get the final 5% of his fee until 6 months after the build is finished - provided he puts all snags right. I presume you don't have something similar in place?

• Advertisement

Jwc3051 wrote: »

i will email the architects to see what they have to say as well.
    did the arch sign off the build / roof?

The Sang list was done and we are very pleased with the build apart from the Roof - it did not rain at first so we never noticed it

the company have agreed to come round to investigate and i have spoken to the architect as he is also going to look over the work again and check it all out - im quite optimistic this will be rectified as all parts have agreed to investigate this issues -

• Registered Users Posts: 46 herlihyd

Jwc3051 wrote: »
    The Sang list was done and we are very pleased with the build apart from the Roof - it did not rain at first so we never noticed it

the company have agreed to come round to investigate and i have spoken to the architect as he is also going to look over the work again and check it all out - im quite optimistic this will be rectified as all parts have agreed to investigate this issues -

Hi there, I'm just wondering was all ok with your build regarding the rain water, were having the same issue, but our builder said it's normal and that all is ok, the rain water is resting on the edge of our parapet. Kind regards Diane

herlihyd wrote: »
    Hi there, I'm just wondering was all ok with your build regarding the rain water, were having the same issue, but our builder said it's normal and that all is ok, the rain water is resting on the edge of our parapet. Kind regards Diane

What did the detailed drawings show?

BryanF wrote: »
    What did the detailed drawings show?

Our friend was the architect we had an engineer but it was a simple 16 by 20 extension with flat roof n sky light so we didn't go with the expensive of drawing, there was 6 site visits n all went well, our friend the architect n engineer said a little rain water is normal but is it 🀔?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

herlihyd wrote: »

is the gutter at the parapet side?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    is the gutter at there's like internal gutters built into the flat roof, roof is a a slight slope n the water flows into the downspipe at the side of the extension

Advertisement