Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Change of ownership problem (family )

• 26-07-2018 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

I sold a car to a family member and they have kept there side but was stupid enough to send the form off yesterday what can I do to cancel this or is it too late

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Stanford

Explain please?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Ladyinthedark

What?

Sorry they have not kept there side of the agreement so I want to get the form back and take the car back into my name what’s the best course of action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Sorry they have not kept there side of the agreement so I want to get the form back and take the car back into my name what’s the best course of action

Is this an amical disagreement? Just get them to change the ownership back when the vlc gets posted out.

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Is this an amical disagreement? Just get them to change the ownership back when the vlc gets posted out.

Not amicable the person reneging on there part over a money issue So I don’t know what to do can I ring the place in Sligo where I sent the form

• Advertisement
    M

Not amicable the person reneging on there part over a money issue So I don’t know what to do can I ring the place in Sligo where I sent the form

How long have they got the car, when were they supposed to pay you for it? What reason have they given for non payment?

Place in Sligo won't just send the form back to you, if they did the entire process of car transferral in the country would collapse.

How long have they got the car, when were they supposed to pay you for it? What reason have they given for non payment?

Place in Sligo won't just send the form back to you, if they did the entire process of car transferral in the country would collapse.

Two days I sent off the form now can’t get the money and just trust people too much when that person has left everyone down before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I sold a car to my sister a few years back and allowed her to pay it in bits and pieces, suited me as I didn't need the lump sum to be honest.
    Then payments stopped, she cried poverty being broke, unexpected expenses etc....was pretty pissed off with her as I knew she had the money and was out at weekends and would buy herself new stuff all the time.
    Just had to stick at it, eventually got paid.
    Couldn't get it signed back over without her signing too. Your relative might sign it back though but it's a messy situation

I sold a car to my sister a few years back and allowed her to pay it in bits and pieces, suited me as I didn't need the lump sum to be honest.
    Then payments stopped, she cried poverty being broke, unexpected expenses etc....was pretty pissed off with her as I knew she had the money and was out at weekends and would buy herself new stuff all the time.
    Just had to stick at it, eventually got paid.
    Couldn't get it signed back over without her signing too. Your relative might sign it back though but it's a messy situation

Very messy especially when u have done a lot for the person and then abuses the trust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Two days I sent off the form now can’t get the money and just trust people too much when that person has left everyone down before

So you knew that when you sold the car to this dodgy individual - yet you still sent off the form? Was that wise?

Has s/he even got car insurance? Did you take your insurance disc out before you handed the car over?

• Advertisement

Turnipman wrote: »
    So you knew that when you sold the car to this dodgy individual - yet you still sent off the form? Was that wise?

Has s/he even got car insurance? Did you take your insurance disc out before you handed the car over?

The car insurance disc is out I don’t understand what you mean . I explained it all at the top of the thread there is no need to come in with this harsh assessment of my problem and the person has insurance on the car . It was not wise sending the form off now that’s why I asked the question here for help in finding out what my options were . Don’t reply again I don’t need someone who has issues what ever they are and don’t take it out on me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

The car insurance disc is out I don’t understand what you mean . I explained it all at the top of the thread there is no need to come in with this harsh assessment of my problem and the person has insurance on the car . It was not wise sending the form off now that’s why I asked the question here for help in finding out what my options were . Don’t reply again I don’t need someone who has issues what ever they are and don’t take it out on me

To be fair, your OP is not very clear.

But there's not much you can do. Did they pay you anything? How close of a family member are they? Could you tell their parents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You signed the form willingly and sent it off.
    The process doesn't allow for changes of heart as far as i know

Can/would you take the car back?

Can/would you take the car back?

I would take the car back it’s hard to do it tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Harsh lesson learned here I think. There's no way now to change it back without their involvement, so I hope for your sake it wasn't a car off much value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

biko wrote: »
    You signed the form willingly and sent it off.
    The process doesn't allow for changes of heart as far as i know

You can't even claim theft as you gave them the keys and signed the log book.

Was it an expensive car? I know someone who's car was stolen when taken for a test drive and they lost several thousand Euro.

M

If it's not worth a lot of money perhaps simply blacklisting them for life is better for you than ever having anything to do with them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

For the record, I didn't make any assessment of you, harsh or otherwise. I simply set out the situation as I understood it and asked you for your own assessment of it! Goodnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Forget the change of ownership, consider that done. Now you need to get tough and pester them until they pay you. You are wronged after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I would take the car back it’s hard to do it tho

You can’t do that unless you can prove/establish that the family member never intended to pay you (fraud, a criminal act) as opposed to failing to pay you (a civil matter). I assume that you did not have any special conditions attaching to the sale, sending off the change of ownership is evidence of this. If you attempt to take back the car you could be charged with theft. Be careful!

Advertisement