Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are there now noticeably more aggressive & arrogant drivers?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Reati wrote: »
    You're strawmaning the point as no one thinks or said you have to drive posted speed limit constantly but to spell out the issue most people are taking about for you. If everyone else is doing 100/120 around you and you are doing 65 in middle or right lane causing people to undertake because you won't move then you are an unsafe and ignorant driver.

If everyone else is doing 100/120 kph in a 60 kph zone, they are the ignorant dangerous drivers, and should all be done for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Reati

fxotoole wrote: »
    If everyone else is doing 100/120 kph in a 60 kph zone, they are the ignorant dangerous drivers, and should all be done for it.

Ah go jump will ya. You know I'm referring to national and motorways based on the speeds I reference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭firstlight

Why should anyone have to drive at the speed limit? It's the fastest speed permitted - not the speed everyone should be travelling.

Weather conditions, traffic conditions and the vehicle I'm driving will dictate the speed I travel at.

Yes I know that,but that's when you use common sence and drive to the conditions,a drop of rain doesn't mean drive like your dropping an anchor an keep pressing the brakes every 10 feet.if any car can't hit 100 it should not be on the road either,don't mind 100 in a 120 zone but keep left if the road is empty.

Again I said stick to speed limits,I drove the n7 last night in the 60 zone,was the only car doing that speed

Either enforce the speed there properly or don't bother with it Atal,average speed camera from start to finish

firstlight wrote: »
    average speed camera from start to finish

100% /thread!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one thing which gets my goat is drivers unable to stop at stop lines at traffic lights. it's not rocket science - you more often than not see them pulled past the line, sometimes having completely driven past it before stopping.
    they usually end up in advanced stop boxes for cyclists or sitting over pedestrian crossings. it saves essentially zero time, so i guess it's just laziness or laxness about road positioning.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

kaymin wrote: »
    Says the person who admitted undertaking on the left lane down the quays and complains about someone being aggressive because they overtook him towards the end of an overtaking lane.

Out of hours bus lane usage is ridiculous in this country, why people feel the need to reduce two lanes to one because they are unwilling to read a sign or follow the keep left rule is unknown to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

too many people not leaving early enough for work in the morning, and having to rush and getting unnecessarily worked up over people who left on time, and not in such a rush.

I see your point but doing 50kmh in a 100 or 80 zone is a joke. Massive tailbacks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

liamog wrote: »
    Out of hours bus lane usage is ridiculous in this country, why people feel the need to reduce two lanes to one because they are unwilling to read a sign or follow the keep left rule is unknown to me.

You occasionally get cars parked in them or caught behind people looking to turn left.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

You occasionally get cars parked in them or caught behind people looking to turn left.

Imagine having to use an indicator to change lane, your right thats far too high a burden for trained drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Imagine having to use an indicator to change lane, your right thats far too high a burden for trained drivers.

Yeah that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

kaymin wrote: »
    Says the person who admitted undertaking on the left lane down the quays and complains about someone being aggressive because they overtook him towards the end of an overtaking lane.

You seem like the sort that refuses to budge from the fast lane because you're doing the speed limit.

He may end up dead, but at least he'll have been correct and proper and in the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Shuuush, would ya shush, stop encouraging people to read the signs and use them, I head for town at ten and fly in on the bus lane, I don't want people reading the signs...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've never quite understood the notion of peak hour bus lanes. if private traffic can get by without using bus lanes during rush hour, opening up the bus lanes to it at the point the extra lanes aren't required seems a little odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

You're strawmaning the point as no one thinks or said you have to drive posted speed limit constantly but to spell out the issue most people are taking about for you. If everyone else is doing 100/120 around you and you are doing 65 in middle or right lane causing people to undertake because you won't move then you are an unsafe and ignorant driver.
    I drive in the left lane (unless I'm overtaking) but I take exception to other drivers tailgating and flashing their lights when I'm doing 100km/h in the left lane. It would appear that many drivers do assume that we must drive at the limit. Why don't these types just leave a few minutes earlier and save themselves the stress of rushing everywhere and putting other's safety at risk.

I drive in the left lane (unless I'm overtaking) but I take exception to other drivers tailgating and flashing their lights when I'm doing 100km/h in the left lane. It would appear that many drivers do assume that we must drive at the limit. Why don't these types just leave a few minutes earlier and save themselves the stress of rushing everywhere and putting other's safety at risk.

I'd agree. If you are in the left lane doing 100 then someone flashing you from behind / tailgating is ignorant and bad driving.

I will say as some doing about 200km a day I don't see much of what you describe but I do see tons of people on the motorways / M50 driving much slower than speed limit in middle and right lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

That is odd. On a motorway? Driving on the left? Don't see anything wrong with that.
    If you are constantly being flashed maybe check if nothing is hanging from your car :D
    Have to say that in nealry 25 years of driving in ireland I have been beeped and flashed from behind maybe 5 times. Always been a complete non-issue for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd agree. If you are in the left lane doing 100 then someone flashing you from behind / tailgating is ignorant and bad driving.

I will say as some doing about 200km a day I don't see much of what you describe but I do see tons of people on the motorways / M50 driving much slower than speed limit in middle and right lanes.
    That is odd. On a motorway? Driving on the left? Don't see anything wrong with that.
    If you are constantly being flashed maybe check if nothing is hanging from your car :D
    Have to say that in nealry 25 years of driving in ireland I have been beeped and flashed from behind maybe 5 times. Always been a complete non-issue for me.
    The usual scenario is that someone is barrelling down the right lane at 150km/h or faster. 500m before their exit, they move across behind me and realise that I'm going way to slow for them so they tailgate or flash their lights to try to get to their exit 1 second faster. A few times, I've been overtaken on the hard shoulder approaching an exit. Probably the same types who assume I'm going to drive through an amber light and then get annoyed when I slow down.

(This morning I stopped at a red light and was overtaken by another driver).

The usual scenario is that someone is barrelling down the right lane at 150km/h or faster. 500m before their exit, they move across behind me and realise that I'm going way to slow for them so they tailgate or flash their lights to try to get to their exit 1 second faster. A few times, I've been overtaken on the hard shoulder approaching an exit. Probably the same types who assume I'm going to drive through an amber light and then get annoyed when I slow down.

(This morning I stopped at a red light and was overtaken by another driver).

You should buy a dashcam if you don't have it. You could run a twitter account about the things you see!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Examples I have witnessed:

M50 coming off at Ballymount in the mornings can be backed up. Many people cut in either at the top of the ramp, or just at the bottom, and they are the usual suspects: a female driver in a black A5, another in an old CLK, a driver in a red Fabia, one in an older 3-Series, a chap in a small white van (Citroen or Peugeot). . .just some that spring to mind.

Others that I have encountered (who most likely do it on a daily basis) tend to drive any sort of vehicle, so it's not just those in larger cars. I have seen an artic driver from the same company doing it on a couple of occasions.

There is a slip road coming off the N7 inbound at Newlands Cross. Two lanes are for turning right to go up the Belgard Road, and the other is for turning left and to go on straight to the slip road for Joel's and on to Monastery Road, etc.

As often as not, drivers will go on straight from one of the right turn only lanes only to cut in further ahead into slow traffic on the Naas Road going towards the M50.

If the traffic is bad along the N7 heading towards The flyover inbound, countless cars fly up the hard shoulder or bus lane making it difficult to correctly move into the inside lane to take a slip road further up.

I could mention many other cases, but it would make for a lengthy post. They are just some cases of selfish, impatient and arrogant drivers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭Autochange

You should buy a dashcam if you don't have it. You could run a twitter account about the things you see!

Just what the world needs. More social justice warrior freaks

• Advertisement

Autochange wrote: »
    Just what the world needs. More social justice warrior freaks

You missed the sarcasm...

Advertisement