Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Merging Irish Defence Forces and An Garda Siochana

• 26-07-2018 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭

Would we get a more versatile and elite Armed Police Force if both of them merged?

Imo we wouldnt be so concerned with Armed Police if we knew that they went through military training during recruitment.

I also think we would have a more physically fit Police Force in this country.

It will also increase Police presence and members could be rotated within this merge so both they get to experience all aspects of both Military and local duties

I'm sure if our Military and Justice budget was combined it would be Quite Large

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,549 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Would we get a more versatile and elite Armed Police Force if both of them merged?

Imo we wouldnt be so concerned with Armed Police if we knew that they went through military training during recruitment.

I also think we would have a more physically fit Police Force in this country.

It will also increase Police presence and members could be rotated within this merge so both they get to experience all aspects of both Military and local duties

I'm sure if our Military and Justice budget was combined it would be Quite Large

Stick with the rimming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,836 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people" - Adama.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

"There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people" - Adama.

Who are we fighting? We are a Neutral State who run peace keeping missions for the UN

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

One Secretary General would be made redundant. So not going to happen.

The Defence Forces should probably have a higher profile WRT security. Does anyone know what they actually do? Probably a State Secret.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Policing requires very different training to the military. Think about any time the British army tried 'helping out' with policing, it never ended well for the locals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I remember the reason for having a separate military and police force being explained to me years ago , the only part I remember is that we have soldiers based in Government Buildings called Depot Police , I thought that was interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭ARNOLD J RIMMER

Policing requires very different training to the military. Think about any time the British army tried 'helping out' with policing, it never ended well for the locals

You are thinking about it as the Military patrolling the streets

I have coming from an angle of a hybrid model that suits both the need of the Military and Policing.

They would be interchangeable depending on needs of the state.

Italy is a good example and I know they also have local police but they have the Carabinieri

The Carabinieri Corps in its dual role as a Police and Armed Force is ever present in the lives of the citizens it protects, from the largest city in Italy to the remotest village.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,547 ✭✭✭Stigura

Germany came up with the idea of merging the Police into a Military role, one time.

Of course, they had to come up with a snappy new title. So they called them " Einsatzgruppen ".

Christopher R. Browning wrote a little ditty about them. Called " Ordinary Men ".

Grand bunch of lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

We already had a paramilitary police force, it didn't end well.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Cutie 3.14

That Would never work. They hate eachother. Theres already a dick measuring contest between them.
    The Defence Forces look down on AGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

So say we all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,645 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »
    That Would never work. They hate eachother. Theres already a dick measuring contest between them.

I thought it was the other way around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

The Army are trained as an offensive force, regardless of the fact Ireland is neutral.

The Garda are trained to prevent crime, respond/investigate crime, protect the general public etc etc.

The army are trained as peace keepers in extremely hostile environments, with the ability to turn into an effective offensive force if the situation requires.

As with most specific job requirements, being good at one doesn't mean you are a jack of all trades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

I thought it was the other way around.

It's mutual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Who are we fighting?

Fires.

DjCN5_BXgAEWCIU.jpg:medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

^^^
    That's what I would have quoted here. Spot-on. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Having said all that the Irish Ranger Wing have helped out with police matters here a few times. Suffice it to say it wasn't paperwork they were doing... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Stigura wrote: »
    Germany came up with the idea of merging the Police into a Military role, one time.

Of course, they had to come up with a snappy new title. So they called them " Einsatzgruppen ".

Christopher R. Browning wrote a little ditty about them. Called " Ordinary Men ".

Grand bunch of lads.

The Einsatzgruppen weren't police in any real sense. However you are right in saying that the police were in a military organisation. Technically it wasn't the army since the SS were a political group and not a government one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_forces_of_Nazi_Germany

All of that though is really just semantics. Technically they weren't part of the german army but they were part of a political armed force/army. So your point, although technically wrong, was right in spirit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »

Where did you get that nugget from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They should be merged with Airsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The idea that Gardai walking down the street would have undergone military weapons training doesn't make me feel better. Quite the opposite.

seamus wrote: »
    The idea that Gardai walking down the street would have undergone military weapons training doesn't make me feel better. Quite the opposite.

Why is that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Several serving Garda were former soldiers, can't understand why someone would be uneasy that members of the force underwent competent weapons training.

seamus wrote: »

Ah, you don't believe in a combined force, neither do I.

Although, theres are quite a few ex-soldiers with extensive weapons training serving in AGS. Not the same thing though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

AH coming after Templemore training program ...

OP if really thinking of merging these two - bit naive imo; I would rather look into expanding the profile of certain divisions.

Advertisement