Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liquidators appointed to OpenHydro

• 26-07-2018 8:32pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Sad news. About 100 job losses.

Fascinating work and some great people, I spent 3 years there.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Ah that's ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭roadmaster

What is the problem is there just a lack on interest in the use of the Technology? I wonder is there some way the government could step in an involve DKIT from a research aspect and maybe support from the IDA. With Energy supplies possibility unstable with Russia in the future we need as a national interest to be developing power supply's from more than one source for the country.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

roadmaster wrote: »
    What is the problem is there just a lack on interest in the use of the Technology?

There is no lack of interest. OpenHydro survives in France and their Canadian turbine was only deployed last week and is performing very well.
    I wonder is there some way the government could step in an involve DKIT from a research aspect and maybe support from the IDA.

It is claimed that it was costing €1M a week to keep the company afloat (see link above).
    With Energy supplies possibility unstable with Russia in the future we need as a national interest to be developing power supply's from more than one source for the country.

Agreed.
    However OpenHydro never deployed any turbines in Ireland. Potential sites must meet very specific criteria to be considered.

I can only discuss or comment on what is in the public domain already.

I can honestly say that this was the most interesting and exciting part of my career. It was a very steep learning curve with lots of travel and meetings with SMEs. My current boss described it as “sexy engineering” :D

Such a shame, I hope that the talented staff that worked there find employment soon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,206 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

It's sad they're gone but hopefully this Limerick company can one day grow into a success.

http://gkinetic.com/

very early days still though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Some good news maybe according to the Business Post today the founding investors are working to save the company. Best of luck to them I hope they succeed

• Advertisement
Advertisement