Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a Renovated House - what documents should the seller be able to provide?

Options
  • 26-07-2018 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I've had an offer accepted on a renovated Victorian house. Most work was completed within the last 18 months, and an engineer recommended I request documentation and certs for the work done.

In particular, there were some structural changes to the roof, high levels of damp, and potential issues with the roof slates and mortar used.

I've requested documentation, and so far I've only received some fairly unsatisfactory details on damp proofing - a quote, and a warranty, but no detail on the actual work carried out.

I would expect there should be some architectural sign off for the changes to the roof too. I'm unsure whether there would be anything official on the material used.

Are these unreasonable things to ask for, or standard enough? The seller claims all the work has been properly carried out, but can't seem to back it up.

I'm thinking of getting in touch with a contractor to get another opinion and some quotes, and use that to renegotiate if nothing can be provided.

Advertisement