Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caught Shoplifting

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oxandbucks

fxotoole wrote: »
    Also irrelevant

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

On a more serious note, this lad is obviously a chancer. Get a solicitor to write to the owner of the shop. If this lad is trying to extort you, I’m pretty sure the shop owner would be less than impressed that his store manager is trying to extort people!

Yeah a pure chancer for pulling a robber, I wonder is he trying to rob the robber?

Op you still haven't said why you need to rob?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Every single time you committed a theft is a separate charge of theft. So if you did it 5 to 10 times you could end up in front of a judge with the same number of charges of theft from a single premises. It's going to look as bad as it is to any judge.

If you decide to take your chance in court, you'll likely get a large fine and possibly an outside chance of a suspended sentence. You'll have a criminal record.

Shoplifting costs more to the business than the cost of the items taken. The cost of security, CCTV, stock-taking etc. creates overheads to combat the likes of you. While his 1500 might be way off in terms of what you took, it might be the cost to you of avoiding a criminal record.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Every single time you committed a theft is a separate charge of theft. So if you did it 5 to 10 times you could end up in front of a judge with the same number of charges of theft from a single premises. It's going to look as bad as it is to any judge.

If you decide to take your chance in court, you'll likely get a large fine and possibly an outside chance of a suspended sentence. You'll have a criminal record.

Shoplifting costs more to the business than the cost of the items taken. The cost of security, CCTV, stock-taking etc. creates overheads to combat the likes of you. While his 1500 might be way off in terms of what you took, it might be the cost to you of avoiding a criminal record. What he's doing though is probably illegal but there's no honour among thieves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Yeah a pure chancer for pulling a robber, I wonder is he trying to rob the robber?

Op you still haven't said why you need to rob?

Trying to extort a robber all the same. He’s a slimeball for trying to take advantage of someone in a vulnerable position

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Trying to extort a robber all the same. He’s a slimeball for trying to take advantage of someone in a vulnerable position

Why do you presume the OP is vulnerable ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,730 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Is there lots of hacked accounts on boards.ie - seems to be lots of these types of posts from members who haven't posted in a year or more (and whose history is totally the opposite of the new post)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

fxotoole wrote:
    He’s a slimeball for trying to take advantage of someone in a vulnerable position

Well the OP is vulnerable but only through her own actions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Why do you presume the OP is vulnerable ?

Because they’ve been caught and are now being extorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You have no idea how much was stolen or over what period of time, but you automatically accuse the manager of extortion. I'd be more inclined to believe the OP hasn't a notion of how much was stolen and on how many occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

fxotoole wrote:

You don't know it's extortion, you are taking the word of a self confessed shop lifter as to how much they took and what value it has. Are you usually this naive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 oxandbucks

fritzelly wrote: »
    Is there lots of hacked accounts on boards.ie - seems to be lots of these types of posts from members who haven't posted in a year or more (and whose history is totally the opposite of the new post)
    I just never posted before. I used to just read the posts. I needed advice and stumbled on boards and remembered that I had this account

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

And what part of that makes them vulnerable ? What about the stealing ? Are you airbrushing that out ? And how do we know that the OP did or did not steal €1500 worth over numerous thefts ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Pick yourself up a book called "Evasion" OP ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭North inner city hoodlum

"klopemaniaic, klopemaniaic on the shop floor 2018"

The making of a great tune :)

Do fret, if you can't pay accept the consequences, you might get help, also don't go near that place again.

Have you theft convictions from shop already?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

i remember years ago used to work in a supermarket

shop lifter crying and pissing on about how it was stuff for the baby and food .

checked the trolley and under the nappies was alcopops and cosmetics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Extorted! Shops lose thousands each year to shop lifters. This person is a serial shop lifter who was caught. It’s quite reasonable for the owner to believe, especially if the person is a regular visitor/thief to his business that they may have taken him for quite a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

brevity wrote: »
    Tell him to show you the CCTV.

And then rob it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

If the law gets involved you will get an adult caution. Adult Caution Scheme
    You get one life before you enter the system proper. Your one free crime. The only point of paying €1500 would be to retain that life for future use. But you don't intend to be bold again, do you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Are Am Eye wrote: »
    If the law gets involved you will get an adult caution. Adult Caution Scheme
    You get one life before you enter the system proper. Your one free crime. The only point of paying €1500 would be to retain that life for future use. But you don't intend to be bold again, do you?

Theft if the value is less than €1000. €1500 is over €1000. Basic maths dude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Theft if the value is less than €1000. €1500 is over €1000. Basic maths dude.

Are you factoring in inflation and depreciation? Compound Interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

oxandbucks wrote: »
    I'm not looking for a defence. I know what I done, it's kind of an addiction for me, I don't always do it. I just sometimes get an urge to do it. No excuse, I'm the first to admit that I'm a scumbag for doing this.

What treatment have you sought or had for the "addiction"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Go to the meeting, whack him and close your account on Boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Could you not just offer him sexual favours to wipe the slate clean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

In the Simpsons, when Bart got caught stealing the Bonestorm game,he gave Marge a picture of himself and that kinda made her forgive him so maybe give the store manager a picture of yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,323 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

One thing that occurs to me is, how could the store manager possibly know the value of the goods that had been previously stolen if the shoplifter hadn't been stopped in the past? It would be complete guesswork....the real figure could be €350 or €2k or any other number. CCTV footage would be nowhere near conclusive enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

OP

You stole goods on several occasions from the one store. The claim is that the manager has you on CCTV stealing product with the value of €1500. I doubt this severely as this amount is the equivalent to roughly 4 trollies of the items you state to have stolen. Yes he may have you stealing in store more than once but the amount stinks to the high heavens of blackmail or extortion. You have two options, call his bluff and go to the guards state what you done and what the manager is claiming. Own up to what you know was wrong. or ask the manager to provide you a copy or to show you the footage of you stealing, then note the amount you stole and pay them back for what you stole and learn your lesson.

I know this AH but ffs OP, first time is circumstantial, second time is taking the p*ss but to continue on after that is wrong. Ask or seek help, there is nothing wrong with that. everyone needs it at-least once in there life. Stealing is just sh*Te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,931 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

In the Simpsons, when Bart got caught stealing the Bonestor game,he gave Marge a picture of himself and that kinda made her forgive him so maybe give the store manager a picture of yourself.
    Because if you don't, you'll be spending Christmas in juvenile hall. Catfiche?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Blackmail the store manager for blackmailing you and then watch any blackmail episodes of Columbo and see what happens to blackmailers !

Or just show the Blackmail episodes of Columbo to the store Manager and then just say ‘ No $h!t Sherlock ! '

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I suggest that you send him a reasonable amount - whatever you stole plus a little more. Send it with a recorded delivery letter saying that you apologise & this is in full & final settlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭tedpan

oxandbucks wrote:
    I have never been in trouble with the law and I am very nervous now. I don't know what to do. Should I call the Garda, go to a solicitor....?

You're lucky if you've never been in trouble with the law as you regularly shop lift and have an addiction.

I would take this as a wake up call and stop, otherwise you will wind up locked up one day. Maybe speak to a someone close or a councillor..

What would happen if you never went back to the store, does he know you personally or have your contact details?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,276 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Sorry mate, you’re a serial robber.

Please read the thread before posting.

It was nappies, bread and sweets.

No cereal was harmed by the OP.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

DId anyone mention supermarket sweep?

I couldn’t be arsed scrolling through everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

oxandbucks wrote: »
    I'm not looking for a defence. I know what I done, it's kind of an addiction for me, I don't always do it. I just sometimes get an urge to do it. No excuse, I'm the first to admit that I'm a scumbag for doing this.
    reading this and a few of your other posts i would say you shoplift more often than you realize or are willing to admit and you have no idea of the total value of the items stolen . The manager has offered you a ''get out of jail card '' and some how he's been made out to be the bad guy .
    get a witness , pay the money , give a written undertaking never to enter store again in exchange for no further action been taken by store owner/ manager . If you enter store again deal is void .
    Most importantly , go and behave yourself

Discodog wrote: »
    I suggest that you send him a reasonable amount - whatever you stole plus a little more. Send it with a recorded delivery letter saying that you apologise & this is in full & final settlement.

She hasn't a clue how much she has stolen.

If it's an addiction and, as she says, she just gets the urge to steal, then she doesn't know how much is involved. It also begs the question of how many other shops are involved too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

Set up a "Go fund me" page and have a holiday from the excess collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

She hasn't a clue how much she has stolen.

If it's an addiction and, as she says, she just gets the urge to steal, then she doesn't know how much is involved. It also begs the question of how many other shops are involved too.[/QUOTE

id say its one of these stories that has 3 sides .. the managers , the shoplifters and ''the truth'' lost in between

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

OP,

They likely don't know what you stole in total, but know what you tried to steal during your last visit, plus that you've been around before and are estimating the €1.5k.

What are your financial circumstances like, can you afford to pay back the amount you stole and an amount extra to show remorse. And asking if the product you stole was for genuine need or just a steal impluse is relevant.

However, do not go back to the store without bringing a friend, preferably male. Someone that can simply sit there and not get involved unless the store manager gets creepy. I add that last bit out of caution rather than expectation. You say it's a compulsion, get help. And don't go back to that store ever or other stores alone until you've managed this addiction.

In summary, arrange to pay back an amount to cover what you stole, plus some extra to cover the time wasted by the shop owner. If you can afford it.

Finally, if you cannot afford to pay back, approach the guards and use your one and only 'get out of jail card'.

• Advertisement

OP,

They likely don't know what you stole in total, but know what you tried to steal during your last visit, plus that you've been around before and are estimating the €1.5k.

What are your financial circumstances like, can you afford to pay back the amount you stole and an amount extra to show remorse. And asking if the product you stole was for genuine need or just a steal impluse is relevant.

However, do not go back to the store without bringing a friend, preferably male. Someone that can simply sit there and not get involved unless the store manager gets creepy. I add that last bit out of caution rather than expectation. You say it's a compulsion, get help. And don't go back to that store ever or other stores alone until you've managed this addiction.

In summary, arrange to pay back an amount to cover what you stole, plus some extra to cover the time wasted by the shop owner. If you can afford it.

Finally, if you cannot afford to pay back, approach the guards and use your one and only 'get out of jail card'.

There is no "get out of jail card". The manager has stated that they have evidence of her stealing E1500 worth of stock. What happens if she goes to the Gardai, the manager does have the evidence?? The "get out of jail card" only works on theft up to the value of E1000.

Pay the money, never go back to the store and get help. It's an expensive lesson learnt.

There is no "get out of jail card". The manager has stated that they have evidence of her stealing E1500 worth of stock. What happens if she goes to the Gardai, the manager does have the evidence?? The "get out of jail card" only works on theft up to the value of E1000.

Pay the money, never go back to the store and get help. It's an expensive lesson learnt.

This talk of a get out of jail free card is extremely misleading. It is not by any means automatic and certainly doesn't cover multiple thefts - which the OP's case involves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

blinding wrote: »
    Blackmail the store manager for blackmailing you and then watch any blackmail episodes of Columbo and see what happens to blackmailers !

Or just show the Blackmail episodes of Columbo to the store Manager and then just say ‘ No $h!t Sherlock ! '

Just one more thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Not sure we want your type around here OP.

Tell the Guards that the manager has been harassing you for sexual favours for staying quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Do you have a child OP or did you just steal the nappies for the hell of it?

The "get out of jail card" only works on theft up to the value of E1000.

It's likely the manager has evidence only of the last theft when they hauled her in, which is going to be below the €1k. Plus the op estimates theft of around €300 in total.

• Advertisement

Not sure we want your type around here OP.

Tell the Guards that the manager has been harassing you for sexual favours for staying quiet.

You're far worse than the OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

You're far worse than the OP.

LOL....I don't think so. I have never stolen.

Hey, the OP is looking for ideas and when you are already a serial thief I can't imagine there is any line the OP would not cross. The bar is rock bottom.

It's likely the manager has evidence only of the last theft when they hauled her in, which is going to be below the €1k. Plus the op estimates theft of around €300 in total.

Would you risk a conviction and criminal record on "likely"??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

100 points, seven pages on PC - and the majority think stealing is okay ?

Advice to OP - go to jail, go directly to jail, but no doubt there'll be multiples of 200 euros after you get out.

All stolen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement