Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caught Shoplifting

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

LOL....I don't think so. I have never stolen.

Hey, the OP is looking for ideas and when you are already a serial thief I can't imagine there is any line the OP would not cross. The bar is rock bottom.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

LOL....I don't think so. I have never stolen.

Hey, the OP is looking for ideas and when you are already a serial thief I can't imagine there is any line the OP would not cross. The bar is rock bottom.

In all honesty I think you're to be commended for thinking of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭rosser44

Op is wondering what they should do?

For multiple repeated instances of shoplifting, possibly using a child (a buggy was mentioned) to help conceal the crimes?

Op should probably go to prison for a little while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Insist that it is handled by the judiciary. Being prosecuted for serial theft will cure your addiction. A mother of a small child who is forthcoming about minor theft won't end up in prison, but needs to be held accountable for it. It would set a terrific example for your children, steer their lives in the right direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

So there was a child in the buggy ?
    what a fine parent and role model you are OP.

I'll hazard a guess you are claiming benefit and rent allowance aswel.

What a great little country ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

You could always say it wasn't you. It was your twin who has now gone to Canada. You never got on and haven't spoken in years too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

In all honesty I think you're to be commended for thinking of the box.[/QUOTE

I am touched.

When someone goes low- you go lower...:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Would you risk a conviction and criminal record on "likely"??

From my perspective it's likely. From the OP's perspective they will know the level of their theft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

In all honesty I think you're to be commended for thinking of the box.

Freudian slip?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

In the Simpsons, when Bart got caught stealing the Bonestor game,he gave Marge a picture of himself and that kinda made her forgive him so maybe give the store manager a picture of yourself.

Well that made me laughing like an idiot in a crowded place. Now to enjoy the glares.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭Resverathrole

oxandbucks wrote: »
    The items that I robbed would have been nappies, bread, soft drinks.
    Shoplifters aren;t likely to eat healthy, so hence the soft drinks.

And seeing as you're likely working class, I'm assuming you flushed the nappies down the toilet once you finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Stigura wrote: »
    OP; This Is 'AH' and I've no Dog in this fight.

But, I have direct and personal experience of working in 'Plain Clothes Retail Security'. What the public call a " Store Detective ".

Tell that chancer to go fcuk himself!

This

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

So there was a child in the buggy ?
    what a fine parent and role model you are OP.

I'll hazard a guess you are claiming benefit and rent allowance aswel.

What a great little country ...

Hey I’m middle class and have always been employed and I like a bit of the 5 finger discount. Don’t be all judgmental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭Cordell

Ok, yes I was caught Shoplifting, call me what you want. I need advice.
    Try to get better at it. And don't worry, practice makes it perfect. If you're sent to prison try to get some mentoring in there, but be careful who you choose, as you will be speaking to other people that also got caught.
    Almost forgot the most important one: don't drop the soap!!!! Although after the first few times it will get a bit lose and hurt less, or so I've heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭draycottgirlz

Ok, yes I was caught Shoplifting, call me what you want. I need advice. The manager says he has me on camera and he said he thinks I robbed €1,500 worth of goods.

I admit that I have robbed but I dispute the amount. The items that I robbed would have been nappies, bread, soft drinks.
    He says he doesn't want to call the Garda but he wants money off me.

I have never been in trouble with the law and I am very nervous now. I don't know what to do. Should I call the Garda, go to a solicitor....?

Could I go to prison?

Any advice please.

Did you steal? - Yes

Ask them to give you an invoice for the items you stole and you will repay him.

If the invoice amounts to 1500e, and you dispute this discuss a compromise. You are in the wrong, and therefore you will reduced bargaining power! If possible bring someone responsible with you, to plead your case with you, how it was an error on your part and something you will never do again (right?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Tell him you were testing the holes in their securities systems. Send him a bill for 1500 for identifying the weaknesses and tell him it will pay off in the long run to know these weaknesses. Give him 5 working days to pay.

No don't get involved with this extortion power trip weirdness. Present yourself at a garda station and say you want to confess to theft out of remorse and a fear of being a terirble role model.

Donate 1500 to the court charity box if you go to trial.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Donate 1500 to the court charity box if you go to trial.
    And don’t lift it home with you .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭KevinCavan

I’d say give him back what you feel is a reasonable amount, maybe €50 over the value of what you stole and don’t go back there again

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Maybe I'm different but find it gas that people are saying to give back the amount OP deems appropriate. I find it gas the idea of the person breaking the law, and who stole the items trying to set the terms.

It's like haggling with them over a deal or something. Maybe I'm wrong here but if as a thief you headed back to the owner and said I will pay you back €300 (etc) final offer, would he not tell you to jog on and bring the footage down the Gardaí.

I think it's a dangerous game to play. No matter what you do however I don't think it will stop you from stealing again by the way that you have described it. Definitely need to get yourself sorted out or get used to these situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

Just say that you were practising for the remake of Supermarket Sweep.
    Tell the manager he should audition to replace the late Dale Winton because he looks so similar

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Make the manager an offer he / she cannot refuse in a Panti Bliss Outfit ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I admit that I have robbed but I dispute the amount.

the amount is irrelevent really, you could have stolen 30quids worth of stuff and he still would be entitled to ask you to cough up 1500 to a - forget all about it (and save you a conviction and b - teach you a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I can imagine the manager caught the op once then probably reviewed cctv over a number of days. Happened in a place I worked in , person was caught once and once cctv was reviewed the same person was robbing €50 quids worth every second day and would visit the same time every morning so it made easy to review the cctv ... it wasn’t nappies but vodka and meat.
    €1500 is a lot in groceries unless you were taking a trolley at at time.
    Offer to reimburse a certain amount and see if they agree if not ask for Proof of the €1500 stolen.

• Advertisement
Advertisement