Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why are pint glasses in Ireland designed to hold exactly one pint filled to the brim?

• 26-07-2018 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Why are they designed like this? When carrying a pint (or pints) back to the table, a alight twitch results in some spilt drink. It's also just sloppy looking in my opinion and sometimes when the bar person slaps it on the counter in a busy pub, it results in some splashing down the side.

Why can't the glasses have a slightly larger volume that 1 pint with a mark on the glass which indicates where the meniscus of the drink should be to give a pint.

Obviously in most of mainland Europe the use 500 ml and 250 ml glasses but there, the glasses are as I described. They have a slightly higher overall volume than 500 cm³ with a line to indicate where the meniscus should be to make 0.5 L.

If the pint glasses were bigger with the drink filled to the "pint line" here would people give out? That's not a fuking pint ... blah blah blah... (See attached picture of the pint glass I nicked from Copenhagen with water filled to the meniscus line).

Sorry if this is a ramble

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Why the feck would you put a piece of knee cartilage in a pint glass?

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So would the head of a pint start or stop at the line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Because you touch yourself at night, now pint glasses are exactly a pint. You sinful boy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Son of a bitch

Ipso wrote: »
    So would the head of a pint start or stop at the line?

The head would go above the meniscus I'd imagine, either way you'd only be talking 20 ml (maximum).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

You a cider drinker?

You know the glasses have a line on them, where it should be filled up to, a few millimetres below the rim?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Long time since I heard the word meniscus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

The head is above the meniscus, definitely.

CPL 593H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Every pint glass I have has the line marking the pint measure, with room then for the head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Because Irish people would complain they weren't getting a full pint if glasses were like that here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,964 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

500cm cubed is an area bigger than the room I'm currently in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Is that including the meniscus?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Every pint glass I have has the line marking the pint measure, with room then for the head.

throw up a pic there, ive never seen one like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

You're probably too young to remember when pint glasses were slightly
    less than a pint. Thankfully we've moved on. That was very messy.

Is that including the meniscus?

Of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

‘Cause the bigger glass wouldn’t fit on the upper tray of our dishwashers, the answer is so obvious LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Son of a bitch

1cm³ = 1ml =1 gram (for pure water at STP)

1000cm³ = 1000 ml = 1L =1kg (for pure water at STP)

Therefore, 500cm³ = 500 ml

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Spilled a pint in conservatory earlier made a fine mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Small room so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,269 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jennehy wrote: »
    Spilled a pint in conservatory earlier made a fine mess.

Conservatory? La-de-dah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 694 ✭✭✭aristotle25

The head would go above the meniscus I'd imagine, either way you'd only be talking 20 ml (maximum).

Only 20ml to you an me, but to the fat cats and their beanie counters that’s up to a 4% loss in revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

The head does go above the meniscus (usually), but those glasses aren't nucleated so there's no head retention in them. The head goes flat almost instantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

500*500*500 = 125000000 cubic centimeters

Or 125 cubic meters

Not what he said, but I think that’s was his implication

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭ConnyMcDavid

Because the Irish would be complaining about waste of space at top of glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Why are they designed like this? When carrying a pint (or pints) back to the table, a alight twitch results in some spilt drink. It's also just sloppy looking in my opinion and sometimes when the bar person slaps it on the counter in a busy pub, it results in some splashing down the side.

Why can't the glasses have a slightly larger volume that 1 pint with a mark on the glass which indicates where the meniscus of the drink should be to give a pint.

Obviously in most of mainland Europe the use 500 ml and 250 ml glasses but there, the glasses are as I described. They have a slightly higher overall volume than 500 cm³ with a line to indicate where the meniscus should be to make 0.5 L.

If the pint glasses were bigger with the drink filled to the "pint line" here would people give out? That's not a fuking pint ... blah blah blah... (See attached picture of the pint glass I nicked from Copenhagen with water filled to the meniscus line).

Sorry if this is a ramble

Perhaps in mainland Europe they use pint glasses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Sure what's the problem if occasionally a little tiny bit might be spilled here or
    there?

Trainspotting.jpg
    George Crabbe

No, 500cm cubed is 5 meters long X 5 meters wide x 5 meters high. There are 100cm in a meter

No, 500cm cubed is 5 meters long X 5 meters wide x 5 meters high. There are 100cm in a meter
    No it’s 5cm X 10cm X 10cm.

Or 5 X 5 X 20, to describe something a bit more pint-glass shaped.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

or 6.2 cm diameter, 16.56 cm height (17 cm taking into account the top and bottom bevels...) for something more 'can' shaped

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

You’re mixing up 500m3 with 500^3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's phrasing and depends on whether you write it down or say it.

(500cm)³ is 500 x 500 x 500. Not 500cm³. Even though if you were saying either out loud you'd say "500 centimetres cubed"

So for the sake of clarity it's more correct to say "500 cubic centimeters" when you mean the latter.

I blame Cherry Blossom though because nobody even said "cubed" until he started this nerd fight.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

The aesthetic beauty of a perfectly pulled pint of Guinness filling a pint glass right to the top, with the head curving slightly above it is a truly wonderful sight. Yes, a few amateur drinkers can't carry their pints without slopping them everywhere but that's a price worth paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭kuntboy

Because Irish people have low IQs and are ugly

The posts with incorrect maths have more thanks than the posts with correct maths. This is the sort of thing that got Donald Trump elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭tigerboon

YFlyer wrote: »
    Perhaps in mainland Europe they use pint glasses.

They mostly use 500ml glasses. Perhaps it's 500ml here as well....why don't you try putting the contents of a pint bottle (565ml or so) into a "pint" glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's not 500ml here. I have some Guinness glasses that were given out during the 150 years celebrations. They're noticeably smaller than your standard pint glass and hold exactly one 500ml can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement